Cheesy and Delicious, French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole makes for a healthy and flavourful dinner recipe. Perfectly baked juicy Chicken Breasts stuffed with caramelised onions and cheese. Makes for a healthy, low carb, and keto recipe for dinner.
Stuffed Chicken Recipe is a healthy recipe for dinner. Caramelized Onions and Cheese stuffed Chicken Breasts baked in a caramelized onion sauce tastes insanely delicious.
Also, I have taken it a step further and made it a casserole. So you get all the flavorful of a Cheesy French Onion soup. The cheesy layer, the beef broth soup, and the sweet taste of Caramelised Onion but along with Chicken! Isn't that great?
I just love the Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe.
Have you tried my Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breasts or
Pizza Stuffed Chicken Recipe?
It's not only a delicious way to cook Chicken Breasts but it brings a restaurant-like taste and a fancy look to your homecooked meal. Perfect for weekends.
French onion soup is a classic and one of our favorite recipes. That gorgeous layer of cheese which you break it to get to the soup is oh so tasty! This one is all of that but with Chicken!
Also, the layer of stringy Mozzarella overstuffed Chicken is so good. Surely one of my favorite Chicken Casserole recipes.
Talking of Chicken Casseroles have you tried my
- 😋 Let's Talk Taste
- 🥘 Ingredients
- 👩🍳 Instructions
- STEP 1: Caramelise the Onions
- STEP 2: Stuff the Chicken Breasts
- STEP 3: Brown the Chicken
- STEP 4: Bake
- STEP 5: Garnish and Serve
- 🗒️ Variations
- 🍗 Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- More Baked Chicken Breasts recipes
- 🧊 Storage
- 💯 Bonus tips (do not miss these)
- 🥗 Serving Sides
- French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole
😋 Let's Talk Taste
French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole tastes absolutely delicious. The sweet taste of Caramelised Onion along with the hint of Thyme makes this taste soo good. Also, the cheese along with Caramelised Onions tastes excellent. Have you tried my Mushroom Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
- Unsalted Butter
- White Onions (thinly sliced)
- Garlic cloves (minced)
- Thyme (dried or freshly ground)
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian Oregano
- White Wine
- Beef Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan (Shredded)
- Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- Parsley (for garnish)
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: Caramelise the Onions
Heat butter in a pan. As the butter melts, throw the thinly sliced onions and saute until they caramelize and turn brown
As the onions start to change color, season them with salt, pepper, dried thyme, and oregano.
Toss to combine. Add a few cloves of Garlic along with Beef Broth and White Wine. Stir to combine and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Once it gets jammy and thick, transfer to a greased baking dish.
STEP 2: Stuff the Chicken Breasts
Cut Chicken Breasts in half, horizontally. Stuff in the Caramelised Onions and Mozzarella Cheese in it. Seal it with toothpicks.
STEP 3: Brown the Chicken
In the same pan, heat some olive oil. As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken Breasts and brown both sides (should take about 3 minutes, each side, over medium-low heat)
STEP 4: Bake
Transfer the Chicken Breasts to the baking dish. Top with Mozzarella Cheese and Parmesan Cheese. Top the chicken pieces with some of the remaining Caramelised Onion sauce. Bake @400F or 220C for 15 minutes.
STEP 5: Garnish and Serve
Garnish with chopped Parsley and serve this cheesy baked French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole immediately.
Hint: It's important to brown the onions throughout. Do not stir the Onions for at least 15 minutes. Allow them to brown in their own sugar. Once they reduce and turn brown, then stir in the seasoning and add the wine to de-glaze the pan and get any browned bits off the bottom of the pan, because the true flavors lie in there!
You can replace White Wine with cooking Sherry or Balsamic Vinegar. But do use any of these to de-glaze the pan for extra flavors.
After you've stuffed the chicken, you'll be left with a lot of sauce. Do not discard it. Transfer to a baking dish. This is where you'll add the chicken and make the casserole. Furthermore, sauce means more flavors! So it's awesome!!!
- Herbs - You can add more Herbs like Rosemary and Sage while cooking the Casserole. Its totally upto you. If you like it herby you can add them. Try my Herb Baked Chicken.
- Sweet - This dish is natuarally a bit sweet because of Caramelised Onions. You can make it even sweeter by adding some brown sugar while browing the onions.
🍗 Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Baking Chicken Breasts is easy. It makes them juicy and gets cooked to perfection in no time. My experience tells that Chicken Breasts take at least 10-15 minutes to get cooked to perfection in the oven.
More Baked Chicken Breasts recipes
This one is especially special because it's just like French Onion Soup. But even better because it is stuffed inside of the chicken! So yummm!!!!
You can store this French Onion stuffed Chicken Breast in the freezer. This will freezer well for up to 3 weeks. Label it and store it in an air-tight glass box. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in the oven before serving.
You can add some more cheese on top before serving.
💯 Bonus tips (do not miss these)
- The key to perfect caramelised onions is to slow cook them.
- You can add some salt and sugar while browning the onions
- You can add more herbs like Rosemary or Thyme if you like them
- You can replace White Wine with Balsamic Vinegar Although it will taste a bit difference but would work as a replacement.
- You can replace Mozzarella Cheese with Shredded Gyure Cheese.
- Bake the Chicken Breasts in the oven for atleast 15 minutes
- Donot overstuff the Chicken Breasts or else the stuffing will fall off from the inside of it.
- Donot pound the Chicken Breasts for this recipe. You need big and fat Chicken Breasts which can be halved horizontally so that you can make a pocket to stuff the filling.
🥗 Serving Sides
You can also serve this over a bed of Rice or Cauliflower Rice or Pasta of your choice.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole
- 2 large Chicken Breasts Boneless, Skinless
- 4 sticks Unsalted Butter
- 6 medium sized White Onions halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Thyme dried or freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 2 tablespoon White Wine Sherry or Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 220C. Grease a 9x18 inch baking dish with oil.
- Heat butter in a skillet. As the butter melts, add the onions and cook over low heat until they tenderize and get jammy for about 15 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute. Add the seasonings - Thyme, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper. Also, add few cloves of minced garlic. Pour White Wine and Beef broth to de-glaze the pan. Toss to combine everything and simmer the sauce over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. After this, transfer this sauce to the greased baking dish.
- Cut the Chicken Breast piece horizontally, lengthwise so as to make a pocket. Stuff the Chicken breast with caramelized onion and shredded Mozzarella Cheese. Seal the edges using a toothpick.
- In the same pan, heat some Olive Oil. As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken Breasts and brown on both sides.
- Transfer the Chicken Breasts to the baking dish. Top with some shredded Parmesan and shredded Mozzarella Cheese. Also, top with some of the pan sauce and onions. Discard the toothpicks. Bake @ 400F or 200C for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped Parsley and serve immediately.