Fall special Apple Butternut Squash Chicken cooked in the Crockpot with herbs, cider vinegar, fall spices, maple, and brown butter is seriously the best. It's got the sweet taste of Apple and Butternut Squash while the nutty and buttery taste of Brown Butter in every bite makes this taste so comforting, hearty, and fall-ish! It's easily one of the best fall crockpot recipes for dinner.
I really love to cook a wholesome Crockpot Dinner recipe for Fall. And this healthy and easy Crockpot Apple Butternut Squash Chicken seems like the perfect fit for the season.
I know it's not even the end of August yet, But I just love Fall and Fall Produce. So, give me the Squashes and Apples already because I love to cook up a storm in the kitchen with these delicious Fall supplies...!
Be it desserts or savory dishes, cooking in the fall weather is like bliss in itself. The crisp weather, the slight chill in the air and you have a sweet smell of Apples and Butter spreading across your room while you are busy with your work...! So good
Have you tried my other favorite fall recipes like:
- Cheesy Green Bean Cheddar Casserole with Fall Spices
- Penne in Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce with Toasted Pecans - Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Let's Talk Taste
This Apple Butternut Squash Chicken smells like a perfect dessert that has been made at home for Thanksgiving. Only, it's not a dessert and a super yummy savory dish.
Apple and Butternut Squash tastes excellent together. They get soft and squishy after slow cooking and the chicken is juicy and tender soaked with the juices of Apple, Brown Butter and Herbs
I especially love the subtle taste of Thyme in this recipe. It's like the perfect freshness to the sweetness of Maple. Also, that hint of freshly grated Ginger is something so good.
And of course, you cannot miss the Brown Butter. That nutty taste of brown butter sticks with you till the last bite of Chicken and its simply delightful
I know, the flavors of this recipe sound so complex right! The only thing is it's so easy to make...!!!
One-Pot Slow Cooker Recipe for Dinner
I usually make this One Pot Apple Butternut Squash Chicken on busy weeknights because, it's something which gets everyone hungry for more, it's so easy to put together so is the perfect dinner for back-to-school days.
One-Pot Slow Cooker recipe for dinner feels like the perfect thing to do, especially on busy weeknights. It's easy to put together and feels so comforting and wholesome. Have you tried my Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with Coconut Milk
This Slow Cooker Apple Butternut Squash Chicken is a great dinner recipe for fall which you are going to love. You can serve this with steamed Rice or Cauliflower Rice or Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Cauliflower for a low-carb alternative and it's going to taste so awesome. You can also serve with crusty bread like fresh French Baguette to serve this.
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil - to braise the Chicken
- Butternut Squash
- Brown Butter
- Soy Sauce
- Maple Syrup
- Yellow Mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar
See recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: SEAR THE CHICKEN UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN
- I have used Chicken Breasts here. You can use Thighs or any other cut of Chicken you prefer.
- Season the Chicken with Salt, Pepper and Smoked Paprika
- Heat Olive oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken to the skillet (skin side down) and sear over high heat for 2-3 minutes (each side).
- Once the Chicken gets golden brown, remove from the skillet.
STEP 2: DUMP IN THE CROCKPOT AND SLOW COOK FOR 4 HOURS
- Add chopped Butternut Squash in the Crockpot
- Now, pour in the Yellow Mustard, Maple Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Sriracha and the spices - Grated Ginger, Smoked Paprika, Dried Thyme, Salt and Pepper. Toss to combine
- Add the Chicken Breasts and pour the remaining cooking oil over them.
- Add the Apples around the Chicken.
- Pour Brown Butter and cover with the lid
- Slow Cook on Low for 4 hours or on High for 2 hours.
Remember that each slow cooker heats differently. So you might want to check with your slow cooker as to how long it takes to cook Chicken and then set the heat and time accordingly.
Hint: I love to cook this Apple and Butternut Squash Chicken at low in the slow cooker. It comes together in a breeze and slow cooking on low makes sure that all those gorgeous juices of Apples, Maple, Butternut Squash seep right into the Chicken. Also, the chicken remains juicy and tender...!
Also, I like to make the browned butter in advance. Learn how to make Browned Butter here.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or Cayenne Pepper to make this a little spicier.
- More Flavors - You can add some grated Nutmeg and Ground Cinnamon for a burst of fall flavors.
- Casserole - Turn this into a Casserole by adding some Brown Sugar and Flour on top and then slow cook it for a little longer time. Its going to be a sweet and savory casserole
- Smoked Gouda - Apple and Gouda are like a match made in heaven. You can shred some smoked Gouda right over the Chicken, just before serving for some amazing flavors of Apple and Gouda Cheese.
OTHER FALL FAVORITE APPLE RECIPES
- Apple Crisp Baked Brie
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Pecan Cobbler
- Maple Glazed Apple Cider Pecan Muffins
- Cinnamon Apple Bread with Cream Cheese and Vanilla Sugar Glaze
- Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Bars with Maple Glaze
- Stuffed Baked Apples with Walnuts, Raisins, and Cranberries
I like to serve this immediately. However, you can make this ahead of time. Store it in an ait-tight container in the freezer for 3 months.
You can also refrigerate this for 2 weeks. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it in the oven @350F for 5-10 minutes before serving.
OTHER ONE-POT RECIPES
- Apricot Chicken Thighs in Crockpot
- Honey Bourbon Chicken in Crockpot
- Blackened Chicken
- Southwestern Chicken Bake
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with Coconut Milk
- Crockpot Parmesan Chicken and Rice
- Southern Smothered Sour Cream Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Thigh Recipe with Asian Glaze
- Chicken Thighs in Creamy Mushroom Garlic Sauce
- Crockpot Greek Lemon Chicken Thighs with Veggies & Potatoes
- Blackened Chicken Thigh with Chimichurri Sauce
Apple Butternut Squash Chicken in Crockpot
To sear the Chicken
- 4 Large Chicken Breasts
- 2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
TO COOK THE CHICKEN
- 1 Large Butternut Squash chopped
- 1 Medium sized Granny Smith Apple thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoon Yellow Mustard Sauce
- 1½ tablespoon Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme or 2 sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- ½ inch Ginger grated (or use 1/2 teaspoon Ginger Powder)
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter melted and browned
- Fresh Sage Leaves for garnish
- Season both sides of the Chicken Breasts with Smoked Paprika, Salt & Pepper. Heat Olive Oil in a Skillet. Add the Chicken Breasts, skin side down, and sear until golden brown on both sides. Once they are golden brown remove them from the heat and keep them aside.
- Add Butternut Squash in the Crockpot. Now, pour the Cider Vinegar, Yellow Mustard, Maple Syrup, Soy Sauce, Sriracha, Grated Ginger, Smoked Paprika, Salt, Pepper, and Dried Thyme. Toss to combine everything. Add the Chicken Breasts over it and pour the remaining oil used in searing the Chicken. Also, pour Browned Butter over the Chicken. Top with apple slices. Cover with the lid and slow cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh Sage Leaves and serve