Creamy and Comforting Southern Smothered Sour Cream Chicken is one of the best comfort food recipes there is. It's sooo easy to make and tastes sooo delicious. Makes for the perfect hearty dinner recipe.
This creamy Sour Cream Smothered Chicken Breast Recipe is very close to my heart. I just love the hearty and comforting taste of this chicken and the gravy. We serve this with some Southern Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes, some Collard Greens, and some Rice and it makes for the perfect Saturday night dinner. So hearty and sooo comforting. Especially my kids just love this one sooo much.
There is something so simple yet so special about Southern food recipes that really makes it taste sooo delicious. It's easy and simple for sure but it's so full of flavors. I just love Southern food Recipes. Have you tried my Broccoli Rice Casserole - Southern Comfort Food OR Instant Pot Southern Peach Cobbler OR Southern Creamed Corn OR Southern Buttermilk Biscuits OR Southern Fried Apples with Vanilla Ice Cream & Salted Caramel Drizzle
- Chicken Breasts
- AP Flour
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Celery Seeds
- Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Sage
- Dried Rosemary
- Dried Thyme
- Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- Whole Milk
- Chicken Broth
- Chopped Parsley (for garnish)
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
Instructions on making Southern Sourcream Smothered Chicken
STEP 1: Make the flour mixture
- Combine Flour with Smoked Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Celery seeds, Dried Herbs, Salt and Pepper. (Traditionally, in place of Dried Herbs, Poultry Seasoning is used. However, since I didnot have it so I have replaced it with dried herbs. If you can get your hands on Poultry seasoning, skip all the herbs and use it).
STEP 2: Coat the Chicken
- I am using Chicken Breasts here which I have cut into thin fillets. You can alternatively use Chicken Thighs or Chicken Legs.
- Coat the Chicken with the flour mixture.
STEP 3: Brown the Chicken
- Heat Olive Oil in a pan.
- As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken and brown both sides
- Donot worry about getting the Chicken cooked thorugh at this stage. You will cook the chicken some more in a couple of minutes.
- Once the Chicken gets nice and browned, remove them from the pan.
STEP 4: Saute Onion and Garlic
- In the same pan, add the chopped Onion and Garlic
- Saute them just until fragrant for about 2-minutes and then remove from the pan.
STEP 5: Make the Gravy
- Heat Butter in the same pan
- As the butter melts, add the remaining flour mixture and saute for 1 minute
- Pour in the Whole Milk and whisk until combined.
- Now, pour in the Sour Cream and whisk until combined and lump-free. It should get creamy. Pour the Chicken Broth over it and whisk until it combines.
- Add the Chicken and sauteed Onions, Garlic back to the pan
- Cover cook over low heat for 10 minutes
- Garnish with chopped Parsley and serve immediately.
Remember that the Chicken is browned so it will cook very quickly. You do not want to overcook the chicken or else it will get chewy.
Hint: The trick to make a creamy gravy is to keep whisking the flour continuously while you pour in the Milk and Sour Cream. If you do not whisk, it will form a lump. Add the milk in streaming motion, a little at a time, and keep whisking until combined.
- Herbs - instead of dried Herbs use Poultry seasoning.
- Gluten Free Flour - use gluten free flour instead of regulat AP Flour for a Gluten Free version.
- Chicken Cuts - You can use Bone-in Chicken Thighs or Legs for this recipe. However, since they are bone-in the cooking time will be a bit longer.
- Pork or Lamb Shanks - Use Pork Chops or Lamb Shanks as a replacement for Chicken. However it might take a little longer time to get cooked though.
- Vegetarian - You can make this with veggies of your choice. Especially, Broccoli or Cauliflower or Mushrooms will be a great choice.
You can bake the Chicken. After you've made the creamy gravy, transfer it to a baking dish along with sauteed onion, garlic, and browned chicken pieces.
Bake in a 350F or 180C preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
You can easily store this Smothered Sour Cream Chicken in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 1 week. You can also, freeze this for a month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven before you serve.
- The trick to get a smooth, lump-free and creamy gravy is to use a lot of butter and to whisk it continuoisly. When you add milk to flour, it will form a lump. However, just keep whisking and adding some more milk in streaming motion and very soon it will get creamy.
- Once it gets creamy, only then add the sourcream
- After adding the sourcream, whisk for 2 minutes.
OTHER SOUTHERN RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
- Broccoli Rice Casserole - Southern Comfort Food
- Vegan Southern Black Eyed Peas Recipe
- Southern Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Crispiest Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken Recipe with Buttermilk
- Southern Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Creamed Corn
- Southern Sweet Potato Cobbler
- Cajun Butter Crockpot Chicken Thighs and Rice
I hope you liked this recipe and shall make it soon. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Southern Smothered Sour Cream Chicken
- 4 large Chicken Breasts pounded
for the flour mixture
- 1½ cup AP Flour can replace with gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Celery Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Dried Sage
- ½ teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
for the gravy
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion yellow, finely chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 sticks Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- Freshly chopped Parsley for garnish
- Combine flour with all the spices in a shallow bowl. Coat the Chicken Breasts pieces in the flour mixture and keep them aside
- Heat Olive oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken Breasts to the skillet (skin side down) and brown them over medium-high heat. Brown both sides of the Chicken and then remove them from the Skillet.
- In the same pan, add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute over medium-high heat until they get fragrant for about 3-4 minutes. Once they are sauteed, remove them from the pan.
- Add butter to the same pan. As the butter melts, add the remaining flour. Saute the flour until it gets light golden brown in color Keep the heat to medium-low. Add the milk in streaming motion and keep whisking continuously until combined. Next, add the Sour Cream and whisk until combined, lump-free and creamy. Next pour in the Chicken Broth and whisk until combined. It should all be very well combined without any lumps. Once the gravy gets creamy, add the sauteed onion, garlic, and chicken back to the skillet. Cover cook over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes
- Once the Chicken gets cooked through, garnish with some chopped parsley and serve