Blackened Chicken is a healthy and easy Chicken dinner recipe that you must include in your weekly dinner rotations. Chicken Marinated with spices and brown sugar is cooked until it gets blackened on the outside but remains juicy and tender on the inside.
I just love this Blackened Chicken recipe. it's inspired by my favorite Blackened Shrimp Tacos which is one of the most popular recipes on this blog and that's for a reason! People seem to just love Blackend Meat which has been marinated with spices and sugar. Also, the slightly burnt taste due to blackening makes this taste so amazing!!!
This Blackened Chicken has an amazing Grilled Chicken Taste to it and it's so amazing. Especially during the summers. Have you tried my Grilled Chimichurri Chicken or Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wraps or Buffalo Chicken Kabobs or Greek Grilled Chicken or Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs or Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
Let's Talk Taste
When it comes to taste, these Blackened Chicken taste absolutely delicious. There is a perfectly balanced taste to these Blackened Chicken Drumsticks. They are perfectly sweet and spicy and also the final squirt of Lime juice brings in an amazing tartness that tastes so delicious especially the Blackened Parts! Simply amazing and full of flavors!
What is Blackening?
Blackening Seasoning or Blackened Seasoning is a sweet and spicy seasoning that is usually used to Blacken Fish or Shrimp. You can of course use this for Chicken or Meat or Vegetables as well.
Blackening is referred to as the cooking process. Cooking Meat dipped in butter, coated with spices in hot oil is called Blackening. This is generally done on a Cast Iron skillet over medium-high heat or high heat until the Protein gets blackened on the outside.
The blackened color is a typical and clear one. Especially used in Shrimp and Fish recipes, this is also used in Meat and Chicken dishes.
The combination of Butter, spice blend, and hot oil, gives a typical black color to the skin of the protein and gives it a charred taste.
What is Blackening Seasoning?
Blackening Seasoning or Blackened Seasoning is not something that is sold labeled in the stores. However, this is extensively used in Cajun and Creole cooking, especially to cook Fish and Shrimp.
Have you tried my other popular Cajun recipes like Cajun Butter Crockpot Chicken Thighs and Rice or Everything about Cajun CuisinesCajun Shrimp and Rice (Instant Pot / Slow Cooker) or Salmon Pasta in Creamy Cajun Sauce or Cajun Chicken (BAKED) or Extra Crispy Cajun Dry Rub Chicken Wings in Air Fryer or Creamy Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo or Crispy Cajun Air-Fryer Sweet Potato Fries (Zero Oil) or Easiest Cajun Shrimp Pasta
Is Blackening Seasoning Spicy?
Blackening Seasoning is not too spicy nor too sweet. It's a perfect balance between the two. This is made using Chili Powder, Dried Herbs, and Sugar. The combination of Spicy, Sweet, Herbs, and Tart makes this taste so good! But never too spicy!
It's usually the sugar in the seasoning which accounts for the Blackening of the Protein and a deep smokey flavor to it.
- Chicken - I have used Chicken Legs. You can use Chicken Breasts or Thigh as well.
- Blackening Seasoning - Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Smoked paprika, Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Dried Thyme, Brown Sugar, Sea Salt & Pepper.
- Canola Oil - To cook the Chicken. This has a high smoking point so it makes it easier to blacken the chicken and cook it through.
- Butter - for amazing flavors
- Lime Juice and Chopped Parsley - To Garnish
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, make sure that you watch the video for a quick visual. 🎥
STEP 1: Make Blackening Seasoning
- Combine Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Smoked paprika, Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Dried Thyme, Brown Sugar, Sea Salt & Pepper in a bowl. You can store some of it and use the rest.
STEP 2: Marinate the Chicken
- Coat the Chicken pieces with the Blackening Seasoning.
STEP 3: Cook the Chicken
- Heat Canola Oil in a Pan. As the oil shimmers, add some butter and allow it to melt. Once the butter melts, add the Chicken Pices and cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Toss after 7 minutes to cook the other side as well.
STEP 4: Garnish and Serve
- Garnish with Lime Juice and chopped Parsley. Serve immediately.
Remember that different pieces of chicken cook for different time duration.
- Chicken legs take about 10-12 minutes to cook,
- Bone-in Chicken Thigh pieces take about 20-25 minutes to cook,
- Boneless Chicken Thigh cooks for 15-20 minutes
- Boneless Chicken breasts take about 5-7 minutes to cook on the stovetop in a pan.
Hint: After you've placed the Chicken pieces in the skillet, cover with a lid or any big-sized place. Keep the heat to medium-high for even cooking of Chicken pieces. Covering will make sure that your Chicken pieces cook quickly because of the steam and also will cause less of a mess because by covering the skillet, you'll reduce the splattering of oil to half! So easy right!
- Spicy - You can make the blackening seasoning spicy by adding more Cayenne Pepper or Chili Powder
- Choice of meat - You can use any piece of Chicken like a Chicken Thigh or Chicken Breast. Or you can use any Meat of your choice.
- Veggies - Try the same recipe with veggies of your choice. Especially Cauliflower and Eggplant shall be perfect because of its "meaty" taste.
- Vegan - This recipe can also be made for Vegan folks using Tofu to make Blackened Tofu.
The Blackening Seasoning can be stored for about 2-3 years in an air-tight jar. You can store the Blackened Chicken in an air-tight container in the freezer. Thaw overnight and reheat before serving.
- Pat dry - Pat dry the Chicken pieces before marinating them.
- Cast Iron Skillet - This is best cooked in a Cast Iron Skillet for even blackening of the Chicken
- Marinate - If you have time, then you can marinate the Chicken and refrigerate it for 24 hours before cooking.
- Heat skillet - Heat the Cast Iron skillet before cooking the chicken.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
- 1 lbs Chicken
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- Lime Juice for garnish
- freshly chopped Parsley for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the spices to make Blackening Seasoning. Use some of it and store the rest in an air-tight jar.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the spices. If you have time then, refrigerate it for 24 hours or use it immediately.
- Heat Canola Oil and Butter in a Pan. As the oil shimmers, add the chicken pieces and cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Toss midways after 7-8 minutes. Cook until the Chicken gets blackened on the outside.
- Garnish with a squirt of Lime juice and some chopped Parsley. Serve immediately.