Flavorful Honey Bourbon Chicken is the best-shredded Chicken recipe in the Crockpot. Juicy and delicious Chicken tossed in a sweet and spicy Honey Bourbon Sauce and garnished with Green Onions is such a comforting meal.
This is best served with Steamed Rice. You can also serve with Cauliflower Rice for a Low Carb alternative.
This Honey Bourbon Chicken is just like my Honey Garlic Chicken. It's sweet, sticky with a hint of spice, and that tastes so good. The Bourbon gives this a deep caramel flavor which is sooo good. Also, this is made in the Crockpot so it's such an easy dump and forget summer crockpot meal. Have you tried my Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Lemon Garlic Sauce or Crockpot Coconut Lime Chicken or Crockpot Zucchini Baked Ziti (Low Carb) or Crockpot Chicken Thigh Recipe with Asian Glaze or Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken with Sweet Pineapple Glaze.
🍲 What does Honey Bourbon Chicken Taste like?
What I love about this Honey Bourbon Chicken is that it's got a hint of our favorite Asian flavors because of the use of Soy Sauce, Ketchup, Honey, and Cider Vinegar. However, the Bourbon brings in a deep caramel undertone taste to this which makes it so good.
😋 What does Sweet Bourbon Sauce taste like?
There are layers of taste to this Honey Bourbon Sauce. First, you think it's sweet, then you think it's a lot like Caramel because of the Bourbon, and then there is a slight burst of heat because of Ginger, Garlic, and Pepper.
Also, when you bite into the juicy cooked Chicken, it's simply the best. They are thoroughly cooked, soaked in all the amazing flavors of Honey and Bourbon, and taste fantastic!
This is seriously one of my favorite dinner recipes. Have you tried my favorite Honey-Balsamic Baked Chicken Breasts or Sticky Asian Hoisin Chicken Drumsticks or Ginger Sesame Chicken Meatballs | Asian Chicken Meatballs or Chinese Chilli Chicken Recipe - Asian Chilli Chicken or Asian Cashew Chicken [Better Than Takeout] or Sweet Chili Chicken Recipe | Crispy Thai Sweet Chili Chicken or Honey Chicken or Sweet and Sour Chicken or Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe - (Mandarin Teriyaki Chicken) or Mongolian Chicken . This Honey Bourbon Chicken is my favorite addition to all of these amazing Asian weeknight dinner recipes. It's easy to make, gets prepared in the crockpot so is an effortless, One-Pot Meal for the family, and is easily customizable.
These are the ingredients required to make Honey Bourbon Chicken in the Slow Cooker.
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- Cider Vinegar
- Ginger (grated)
- Garlic (minced)
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Boneless Chicken (Breast)
- Green Onions (for garnish)
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: Make the Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients (except Cornstarch) in a jar. Cover with a lid tightly. Shake well until combined. Keep it aside.
STEP 2: Slow Cook Chicken
- Place the Chicken pieces in the Crockpot
- Pour the sauce over it
- Cover with a lid
- Slow cook on High for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
STEP 3: Shred the Chicken
- Get the Chicken out of the crockpot and shred the chicken using two forks
- Add Cornstarch to the simmering sauce in the crockpot
- Toss to combine so that there aren't any lumps
STEP 4: Toss Chicken and Serve
- Throw in the shredded Chicken in the sauce
- Toss to combine
- Garnish with chopped Green Onions and serve immediately over rice.
Hint: After you've added the Cornstarch, stir vigorously so that there aren't any lumps formed in the sauce. Even if there are lumps, stirring constantly will get rid of them.
- Low Carb - To make this Keto and Low Carb skip the Brown Sugar and Ketchup. Use diced tomatoes as an alternative to ketchup.
- Bourbon - You can replace with Apple Juice or Apricot Syrup or White Grape Juice.
- Vegetarian - The Chicken here can be replaced with any veggies you have at home. You can use Broccoli or Cauliflower or Mushrooms or a bag ful of mixed veggies.
- Spicy - You can make this spicy by ingreasing the amount of Red Pepper Flakes or Black Pepper.
- Kid friendly - You can replace Bourbon with Apple Juice or White Grape Juice or Apricot Syrup.
🍗 Slow Cooker Chicken
I have made this Honey Bourbon Chicken in the Slow Cooker. Slow Cooker Chicken tastes especially good because the Chicken gets ample time to soak up all the juices of the sauce. Also, it basically cooks in the steam generated from the sauce so it's extra flavorful.
This is what makes Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts recipes taste so delicious. It cooks slowly, so the moisture of the Chicken is retained and is packed with flavors. Other Chicken Breast recipes you'll love are Air Fryer Chicken Breasts or Honey Mustard Chicken Breast or Baked Herb Chicken Breasts in a Creamy Sauce or Baked Garlic Butter Chicken Breasts or Honey Balsamic Baked Chicken Breasts or Spinach and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts in Air Fryer - Healthy dinner idea with Chicken or Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cream Cheese
You can store this Honey Bourbon Chicken in an air-tight container in the freezer for 3 weeks. Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat in the oven before serving.
🍳 Other Cooking methods
- Yes, you can grill the Chicken Breasts and then toss them with the Honey Bourbon Sauce. This makes this easier and less time consuming. Grilled BBQ Honey Bourbon Chicken has a wonderful smokey taste to it and its so amazing.
- All you need to do is just marinate the Chicken with this Sweet Bourbon Sauce and refrigerate for 2 hours and then Grill.
- After you've grilled the Chicken, chop it into cubes or strips, garnish with the leftover sauce and green onions and serve. (Also try my other Grilled Chicken Recipes like this Grilled Chicken Drumsticks or Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe or Grilled Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Marinade in Sheet Pan or Chipotle Grilled Chicken Pineapple Tacos)
- You can cook this recipe in the Instant pot as well. All you need to do is throw the Chicken Breasts and the Sauce in the instant pot and pressure cook on high for 3-minutes.
- After 3-minutes, quick release the pressure
- Remove the Chicken from the pot and chop it into cubes or shred the Chicken
- Add Cornstarch to the sauce and stir until combined
- Throw the Chicken back into the pot and toss until combined
- Garnish with Chopped Green Onions and serve. (Also try my Instant Pot Chicken Parm Pasta or Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe or Low Carb Lemon Butter Chicken - Instant Pot or Instant Pot Thai Cashew Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken or Instant Pot Peach Chicken in Honey Balsamic Sauce or Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pasta)
- You can also make this in the stovetop in a Pan or Skillet or a Wok
- First, chop the Chicken Breast into 1-inch cubes and fry them until crispy in hot oil
- Make the sauce in a mixing jar.
- Pour the Sauce over the fried Chicken
- Toss to combine
- Simmer over medium -low heat for 2-3 minutes
- Add cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoon water) to the sauce and stir until combined
- Simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes over low heat
- Garnish with chopped Green onions and serve.
💯 Top tips
- Use Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts for this recipe. They won't get chewy as they are being cooked in the slow cooker. They will be rather juicy and flavorful
- Donot forget to use the Cornstarch to make the sauce thick and velvety. Even if there are lumps formed because the sauce is hot, keep stirring and soon the lumps will dissolve into the sauce.
- Cut the Chicken into cubes or shred the Chicken. Its all upto your choice.
Other Asian Recipes you'll love
- Sweet and Sour Teriyaki Cauliflower Chicken Stir Fry
- 10-minute Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts
- Honey Garlic Salmon
- Ginger Soy Chicken
- General Tso's Chicken Recipe
- Creamy Thai Peanut Chicken
- Orange Chicken Recipe
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs in Air Fryer
- Sesame Chicken (Like a Chinese Restaurant)
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Honey Bourbon Chicken in Crockpot
for the sauce
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- ¼ cup Cider Vinegar
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 large Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless (or Chicken Thighs)
- Green Onions finely chopped
- Make the Honey Bourbon Sauce by combining all the ingredients (except Cornstarch) in a mixing jar. Shake well until combined. Keep it aside.
- Place the chicken pieces in the Slow Cooker. Pour the Honey Bourbon Sauce over it. Cover with the lid and slow cook on high for 2 hours or on Low for 4 Hours. (I prefer cooking it on low, because it makes the Chicken juicier)
- Get the Chicken pieces out of the pot. Shred the Chicken using two forks.
- Add cornstarch into the simmering sauce in the slow cooker. Stir until combined and there are no lumps left. Stir in the shredded chicken in the Crockpot. Toss to combine. Cover cook for 30 minutes on Low.
- Garnish with chopped Green Onions and serve immediately.
Toby Williams says
I'm in love with this recipe!! Made it a couple of time and everyone just LOVED it!! Soo good 😋😋😋
Excellent recipe, I’ve made this in a wok but the crock pot seems to be better and more flavorful. Thanks
Thank you so much. Yeah, of course, Crockpot chicken is juicier and much flavorful. However, I am so glad you tried this recipe and liked it. Happy Weekend!
This is the best Honey Bourbon Chicken Recipe ever!! Juicy and flavourful chicken and that sauce is so good!!
Thank you so much Mia! This is so good!
Question- in the video it shows ginger, but ginger isn’t in the recipe. How much should be added? And then it says add cornstarch to the sauce- how much?
Good catch, I have updated the recipe. You would need about 1/2 inch ginger (finely chopped). Also, you could use 1 tsp of Ground Ginger. You can add 2 tbsp of cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
Momma Kay says
This looks amazing. I was looking for a recipe I could make a big batch of for mini Hawaiian roll sliders for New Year’s Eve and I think I found it! Question… Have you ever made it with honey bourbon? I’m guessing I could add 1/4-1/2 the honey you call for and then add more if needed?
yup. I think you are right. let me know how it went.
Mary Ann says
Can I add all the ingredients except for the cornstarch and make it into a freezer crockpot meal?
yes you can!