Ground Chicken Tacos - Ground Chicken is cooked in Avocado oil with chipotle pepper powder, homemade taco seasoning, and ground cumin until smoky, and aromatic. Tucked in crispy, warm street style corn tortillas with homemade Avocado cream. umm... so good!
Generally, you'll find people sautèing onions and garlic and then cooking ground chicken with spices.
Southwestern Spices, Smoky Chicken & Delicious Sauce
I make my tacos differently. I skip onions and garlic and use onion and garlic powder instead. Saves so much time and lots of effort. i am a genius right?
Along with that, while assembling these ground chicken tacos I don't use Pico de gallo or lettuce. Although you can use them, makes for a valuable addition.
Instead of all that, I make my own Avocado crema and along with that, I add my ground chicken taco filling, top it off with some sour cream, sliced avocados, diced onions, and fresh chopped cilantro.
Got Ground Chicken at home? Sure you can make Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatballs or Ginger Sesame Chicken Meatballs or Salsa Chicken Meatballs or Gochujang Chicken Meatballs or Authentic Butter Chicken Meatballs
But I thought, enough of meatballs with ground chicken. Why not tacos? And, here I am with the most easy and inexpensive ground chicken taco recipe.
These tacos are quite off beat. But, still manages to hit all the right spots.
The flavor is just right.
- Avocado Oil
- Ground Chicken
- Chipotle Pepper Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Onion Powder & Garlic Powder
- Taco Seasoning
- Low Sodium Tomato paste
- Corn Tortillas
- Ripe Avocados
- Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- Thick Greek Yogurt - of course you can replace it with sour cream.
- Lime Juice
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Ground Chicken Tacos
Step 1: Make Taco Filling
- Heat a large skillet with Avocado Oil.
- Add Ground Chicken and cook until the meat changes color.
- Once you see the meat changing color, add in spices.
- Now you can use your own blend of spices.
- I prefer Taco Seasoning, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Ground Cumin, and Chipotle Pepper Powder.
- Cook Ground Chicken along with the spices.
Step 2: Make Avocado Cream
- Choose a ripe Avocado. Cut open the Avocado from the center.
- Remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh from Avocado.
- Use a spoon to mush the avocado.
- Add in sour cream or thick greek yogurt.
- Add in a couple of tablespoons of Heavy cream or Milk.
- Squeeze in some fresh lime juice and set aside.
Step 3: Prepare Tortillas
- Heat a skillet with a teaspoon of avocado oil/olive oil.
- Add street style corn tortillas and crisp up both sides.
Step 4: Assemble Tacos
- Schmear the base of the Tortillas with Avocado cream.
- Then add in your Ground Chicken filling.
- Top it off with fresh cilantro, diced onions, Sour Cream and some sliced Avocados.
- And there you have the most flavorful Mexican Chicken Taco recipe READY!!
HINT: If you find the ground chicken filling getting dry you can add in some low sodium chicken broth.
- Mexican Oregano - Mexican Oregano could add a new dimension to this recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese & Monterey Jack Cheese - Adding some cheese would make your Ground Chicken Tacos cheesy and more delightful.
- Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce - Some chipotle pepper in adobo sauce adds a hint of heat to the tacos.
- Ground Chicken tacos with slaw - Yes you can make your own coleslaw and add it as a topping on your ground chicken tacos.
- Ground chicken tacos with black beans - You can add black beans to your tacos. Also try Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos or Black Bean and Corn Tacos
I really doubt that you'd be able to save some of these delicious ground chicken tacos.
Although if you happen to save some. Then keep the taco filing, and the avocado cream, separately. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 days.
Before serving make sure you warm up the filling in the microwave.
Can I freeze this to make later in a IP?
Yes you definitely can freeze the taco meat.
And use it later in a IP to make your tacos.
This recipe for ground chicken is freezer friendly and you can store the Taco meat in the freezer for up to 3-months. Store in an airtight container and wrap it with plastic foil and label it.
Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before use.
Secret tips that I rarely share
- Use Homemade Taco Seasoning for best taste and flavor.
- Thaw your ground chicken if you are using a frozen one.
- Cook your ground chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- I would suggest you use a cast-iron skillet to cook your chicken.
- Avocado Oil is the best choice to make this recipe. It has a high smoke point and is therefore ideal for this recipe. Read this - Pumpkin seed oil, Avocado oil, Sunflower seed oil – which is the healthiest?
- Don't miss the Avocado cream or Avocado crema. It has a tangy, sour, and a sort of buttery taste.
FAQs to make Best Ground Chicken Tacos
Can I make Baked Ground Chicken tacos?
Yes. You can make cheesy ground chicken tacos and they taste so good. But, you need to follow the first two steps as mentioned in this recipe. Cook ground chicken until no longer pink. Make avocado crema.
Here's what you need to do differently - Arrange corn taco shells in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the ground chicken filling in the center of the taco shells. Top it with shredded Mexican blend of cheese or my favorite Monterey Jack and Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Finally, bake it in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until cheese melts.
Can I make this Low Carb?
This recipe is low in calorie and has lots of proteins and nutrients. But, to make it low carb you can simply replace tortillas with lettuce wraps.
What is Chicken Taco Meat called?
Chicken in Spanish is Pollo. Therefore Pollo is one of the most common ingredients for tacos. You can use it in the form of ground meat like we've used here. Or you can shred it and make Mexican Shredded Chicken tacos or you can cut it into small bite size pieces and make so many kinds of tacos namely - Chicken Pepper Tacos or Chipotle Grilled Chicken Pineapple Tacos
Is ground chicken good for weight loss?
Yes. Ground chicken is a healthy alternative to ground beef or ground pork. Although you can also use Ground Turkey because there is not much difference in terms of calories when you compare ground chicken and ground turkey. Here's how to make Turkey Enchiladas or Turkey Tetrazzini or Easy Turkey lasagna Recipe with ground turkey.
How long should ground chicken be cooked?
I would say a good 5-6 minutes is more than enough to cook ground chicken. Although it depends on the amount of ground chicken you are cooking.
If you are using 1 lb ground chicken like mentioned in this recipe then about 5-7 minutes of cooking time is ideal for this recipe.
Another major factor is if your ground chicken is frozen. Frozen ground chicken (even if it is thawed) will take a few minutes longer to cook completely.
I always recommend a meat thermometer to be absolutely sure when cooking ground chicken.
Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and only then it is safe to consume.
More Chicken Tacos
Ground Chicken Tacos
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lb ground chicken preferably dark meat (from boneless chicken thighs)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder can use smoked paprika instead
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 oz tomato paste low sodium
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 1 large ripe avocado seed removed
- 1 tablespoon thick greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice juice of ½ large lime
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- thin slices of avocado
- diced onions
Make Ground Chicken Taco Filling
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Avocado Oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken (thawed and rinsed, if using frozen meat) and use a wooden spatula or a silicone spatula to break the meat and cook it up.
- Once the meat changes color add in spices - chipotle pepper powder, ground cumin, taco seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder. Use a spatula to combine everything together. Add in tomato paste and cook for about 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. Iff the mixture is becoming too dry then you can add about ¼ cup of low sodium chicken broth. Take it off the heat and keep the chicken aside.
Make Avocado Cream
- Cut open one large ripe avocado from the center. Remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh of the avocados.
- Use a spoon to mush the filling until smooth. Add in a tablespoon of thick greek yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk, and 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Mix everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Crisp up both sides of a corn tortillas with a splash of oil in a skillet.
- Schmear a tablespoon of Avocado cream on the tortillas. Add in roasted ground chicken. Top it off with sour cream, thinly sliced avocados, diced onions, and fresh chopped cilantro.