Creamy Avocado Crema is the easiest dip that I like to make with thick Greek Yogurt, freshly minced cloves of garlic, and large ripe avocados 🥑
Lightly Season this with Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper and squeeze in some fresh lime juice for an authentic Mexican Avocado Crema.
Also try: Avocado Mayo
- 🥑What is Avocado Crema?
- 💁Ingredients - What do you need to make Avocado Crema?
- 🥘How to make Avocado Crema
- 🤗Variations of Avocado Crema
- 🌱How to make Vegan Avocado Crema?
- ❄️How to Store Avocado Crema?
- 🤩Can you freeze avocado crema?
- 🎩TOP Tips for Avocado Crema
- 🔖What does Avocado Crema taste like?
- 💁♀️How to keep avocado crema from getting brown?
- Avocado Crema - Creamy Dip made with Yogurt
🥑What is Avocado Crema?
If you are aware of the original Mexican Crema, then you already have a good idea on what Avocado crema must be.
But first let me explain what Mexican Crema is.
It is essentially sour cream but with a Mexican flair🇲🇽
It is more thick and tangy then American sour cream but is not as rich and fatty as the French crème fraîche.
Now you add avocados to Mexican Crema with some minor adjustments and you get avocado crema!
As you can already guess, Avocado crema contains fresh avocado pulp. But it does not contain any heavy cream or buttermilk. This makes avocado crema extremely fluffy and light.
As an added bonus, it also makes it light on calories, making it a perfect and healthy accompaniment for all your Mexican dishes!
💁Ingredients - What do you need to make Avocado Crema?
With avocados now being available all over the globe at any price, you should have no difficulty getting some good quality ones from nearby. As for the other ingredients, you can find them easily at any local grocery store!
- Fresh Cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Lime juice
see the recipe card for quantities.
🥘How to make Avocado Crema
Making Avocado Crema is super quick and easy to make😀
All you need is a blender or a food processor. It will take you not more then five minutes to have a bowl of fresh avocado crema for all your next Mexican recipes!
- You need a blender or a food processor first of all. We really suggest you use a blender as it will do a better job at making a smooth and creamy avocado crema.
- Cut open your avocados and use a spoon to take out its pulp. You will need only the pulp for making avocado crema. Use ripe avocados to make the process easier for you.
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender and blend until the ingredients form a nice smooth mixture. Scrape down the walls in between to make sure not even a tiny bit goes to waste.
- Your avocado crema is now ready! You can chill the crema before serving it or just store it away carefully for future use.
🤗Variations of Avocado Crema
Avocado crema is already a variation of the original Mexican crema. But this does not mean you can’t add your own twists and variations to it!
Avocados are in general a very versatile ingredient in cooking. So any new addition to this avocado crema will go great for you! But before you start experimenting with all kinds of new ideas, first check out our basic avocado crema variations down below!
- Spice it up🔥 - Avocado crema usually tends to be on the low side of heat. But you can go ahead and turn it up according to your taste preferences. Just add jalapenos in the blender along with the other avocado crema ingredients! We say jalapenos because they are also green and will keep up with the overall theme of the crema.
- Parsley🌿 - If you don’t like cilantro, you totally have the option to skip over them. Instead use other herbs like parsley or basil.
- Make it Cheesy🧀 - Adding cheese to your avocado crema is totally a option. And a great one at that! We suggest you use either parmesan cheese or Cotija cheese. We especially suggest you Cotija cheese for its Latin origins and great salty flavour. Make sure you adjust the salt when using Cotija cheese, as it is already salty!
- Italian Avocado Crema 🇮🇹 - You can also make an Italian style Avocado crema! Just add some pesto to the crema and mix both of them together. You can use this Italian style avocado crema for both Mexican and Italian recipes!
🌱How to make Vegan Avocado Crema?
All you need to do to make a vegan avocado crema is to replace the sour cream or Greek Yogurt with Apple Cider Vinegar. That’s it! Don't worry about your vegan avocado cream turning out any less.
The avocados are more than enough to get the job done. And the apple cider vinegar will make sure your avocado crema is as tangy as the original.
As an added bonus, this vegan avocado crema will be very low on fats and calories because there is no sour cream in it! You can also add a dash of avocado oil to get a little fattiness in the crema, but it's really not necessary.
❄️How to Store Avocado Crema?
Storing Avocado Crema can be tricky because they contain avocados, which can get brown really quickly if they come in contact with air for prolonged time.
So if you are not using Avocado Crema, then store it away immediately in the fridge.
Use an airtight container to keep your avocado crema in the fridge.
As extra protection, press a plastic wrap against the surface of the crema and then seal the container. This will keep your avocado crema away from any contact with external air. You should be able to preserve avocado crema for five days easily with this method in your fridge!
🤩Can you freeze avocado crema?
Freezing avocado crema is pretty similar to freezing guacamole. So yes, you can freeze avocado crema!
Just pack the avocado crema tightly in ziplock bags and press the bags flat. Seal them airtight and store in the freezer of your fridge.
Whenever you want to use frozen avocado crema just take the ziplock bags out of the freezer and let them thaw for around 12 hours at least.
You can freeze avocado crema for uto three months easily.
🎩TOP Tips for Avocado Crema
1. If Greek Yogurt is a little too heavy for your tastebuds, then you can substitute it with Sour Cream instead. It is lighter in both taste and calories.
2. You can make your avocado crema more flavourful by adding just a little bit of roasted cumin. For more heat, you can add a touch of cayenne pepper to the mix.
3. Always use ripe avocados for making avocado crema. They will blend easier into a smooth and creamy paste. This is especially important for making vegan avocado crema
4. If the avocado crema is coming off as too thick, then you can add a little water to balance it out. If the opposite happens and your avocado crema is too thin, then add one more avocado or more Greek Yogurt to thicken the consistency.
🔖What does Avocado Crema taste like?
Avocado crema tastes very similar to guacamole, with an added tanginess of Yogurt. Avocado crema is also more creamy and tangy then a guacamole. Sounds delicious, isn't it!
💁♀️How to keep avocado crema from getting brown?
Since avocado crema contains avocados, it is vulnerable to turning brown in colour if you leave it out in the open air for too long. To avoid this from happening, always cover the surface of avocado crema with a plastic wrap when not in use and keep it in the fridge inside an airtight container. This way you can keep the avocado crema in its vibrant green colour for quite a while.
Similar recipes you might like
- Spicy Chipotle Chickpea Tacos (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elotes)
- 10-minute Vegan Chickpea Walnut Taco Meat
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tinga (in Slow Cooker)
- Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos
Avocado Crema - Creamy Dip made with Yogurt
- 2 large ripe avocadoes peeled, and pitted
- 1 cup thick greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2-3 cloves garlic freshly minced
- 3-4 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper or as per taste
- Place peeled and pitted avocados in a blender along with finely minced cloves of garlic, freshly squeezed lime juice, and thick greek yogurt. Process until smooth and creamy. Season with Kosher Salt and Freshly cracked black pepper as per taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy immediately or follow the storage instructions and store it in the fridge for at least 2 days.
Ask Me Anything