Authentic Mexican Chicken Tinga is a smokey and spicy flavored Chicken recipe. This is the most authentic Mexican Chicken Tinga or Tinga De Pollo recipe. It's perfectly balanced with sweetness and spices.
Chicken Tinga is one of my favorite summer crockpot meals. Look how juicy the Chicken is here. I just love Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga.
We just keep it cooking in the slow cooker all day and then when it's time for dinner and the house is smelling divine, I ask everyone to make their own tacos. It's seriously so much fun! Have you tried my Instant Pot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken Tacos or Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos or Chicken Pepper Tacos
Make this amazing Chicken Dinner Tonight
What is Tinga??
Tinga is one of the most popular Mexican recipes. Tinga De Pollo is a juicy Chicken Tingas. You can also find Beef (Res) or Pork (Puerco) Tingas. What makes Tinga so special is its spicy and zingy taste.
Also, the best part about Tinga is the juicy meat. The zing of Lemon along with the spices and that hint of sweetness makes Tinga tastes so good.
What really makes Tinga so special is that Chicken, Onion, Garlic, and Tomatoes are cooked in their own juices. None of the ingredients are ground and used. Sometimes, Chorizo is also used in Tingas. Also, Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce is the key highlight of Tinga. It's this which makes Tinga so spicy and delicious!
This is simmered in its own juices and then served.
Tinga is served in Tacos or Tostadas along with some Avocado Slices, chopped Red Onions, Jalapenos, Chopped Cilantro, Cotija Cheese, Sour Cream or Crema and Lime Juice on top.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga is one of the easiest dump and forget dinner recipes. You can just dump the Chicken along with spices, onion, garlic, and tomatoes and allow it to slow cook all day.
More Mexican Dinners
- The Best Beef Barbacoa Recipe Ever (Crockpot)
- Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos (in slow cooker)
- Red Chicken Enchiladas - all time family favorite
- Crockpot Chicken Fajita
- Salsa Chicken Meatballs - Mexican Chicken Meatballs
Ingredients Needed to make Chicken Tinga
- Chicken - I have used Chicken Breast. You can use Chicken Breast or Thigh pieces
- Onions - Red Onions are used for their sweetness in this recipe
- Garlic - Garlic brings a nice kick to the Tinga
- Tomatoes - Tomatoes make Tinga juicy.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce - This is exactly what makes Tinga taste so amazing!
- Coconut Sugar - You can use regular brown sugar or any sugar you have at home. This is required to balance the spices.
- Spices - Dried Thyme, Dried Oregano, Ground Cumin, Paprika, Salt & Pepper
- Cilantro - To garnish on top
- Jalapenos - To garnish on top (optional)
- Lime Juice - To garnish
How to make Chicken Tinga in Slow Cooker
STEP 1: Saute the Chicken & Onions
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan
- As the oil shimmers, add the chicken pieces and saute over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until they get brown on both sides
- Add chopped onions to the same pan and saute until lightly golden brown.
STEP 2: Slow Cook for 2-3 hours
- Throw the chicken and sauteed onions in the slow cooker
- Throw in the diced tomatoes and minced garlic
- Add the chopped Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, Spices, and Sugar
- Cover and slow cook for 2 hours on High
STEP 3: Shred the Chicken
- Shred the Chicken using two forks
- Toss to combine everything
STEP 4: Garnish and Serve
- Garnish with chopped Cilantro, chopped Jalapenos and Lime juice
- Serve immediately with Tostadas or Tacos.
Other Alterations & Substitutions
- You can cook this in the stove top as well. Just saute onions, garlic and tomatoes along with the spices and blend it up in a high speed blender until smooth. Pour this over shredded Chicken, saute until combined and serve over Tacos or Tostadas.
- You can skip Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce with Chipotle Adobo Sauce
- Sugar is required in this recipe to balance out all the spices. You can skip it but your Tinga will be too spicy to eat.
Other Recipes You will love
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa (just 10-minutes)
- Instant Pot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Marinade in Sheet Pan
- Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Mexican Chicken Tinga in Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 lbs Chicken Breast or Thigh pieces
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 large Tomatoes diced
- 1 dried Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup Sugar Brown or Granulated
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ cup chopped Jalapenos 2 large
- freshly chopped Cilantro
- Lime Juice
for Chicken Tinga Tacos
- 4 small Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup Coleslaw
- 3 medium sized Red Onion finely chopped
- 4 teaspoon Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- 3 tablespoon Cotija Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Avocado Slices
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan. As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken and saute for 3-4 minutes until they get golden brown on both sides. Add the onions and saute until golden brown.
- Throw the Chicken and Onions in the slow cooker. Throw in the diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, spices and sugar. Cover and slow cook for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, Shred the Chicken using two forks. Garnish with chopped Cilantro, chopped Jalapenos, and Lime Juice. Serve hot over Tortillas or Tostadas.
- Assemble the Tacos with coleslaw, Chicken Tinga, Cotija Cheese, Avocado Slices, Sour Cream, Red Onion, Chopped Cilantro and Lime Juice