Chicken Carnitas recipe is a spicy and flavorful Mexican Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe. Shredded Chicken is tossed in a spicy and zesty Carnitas spice mix, tossed with the Chicken, and broiled until the Chicken gets crispy and soaks in all the spices. Finally, this is served inside warm toasted Tortillas along with chopped Red Onions and Cilantro.
This delicious Mexican chicken carnitas recipe is an easy version of the long. It's so simple and so delicious. Chicken Carnitas is easier to make, takes less time to cook, and makes for a light and simple weeknight meal.
The Chicken after broiling gets slightly crispy, especially around the edges while still remain juicy and soft on the inside.
Carnitas are an exceptionally Popular Mexican Meat Dinner recipe where Pork Shoulder is slow-cooked with spices. However, I thought of making a lighter and easier version with Chicken and it came out just perfect.
An excellent Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe with amazing Mexican flavors, the tang of Orange Juice, the hint of lime, and the sweetness of Red Onions. You can obviously use this in Burrito or Taquitos or Quesadillas as well.
This Authentic Chicken Carnitas recipe made with Orange Juice, Lime Juice, and spices like smoked paprika, ground cumin, oregano, salt & pepper make the Chicken taste exceptionally good.
It's obviously spicy but the Orange Juice and lime juice brings in a hint of freshness which magically cuts out on the high level of spice. Also, I love the use of Smoked Paprika in this recipe which brings in an amazing smokey flavor to the carnitas.
These Chicken Tacos recipe with Chicken Breast is just the best. The Chicken is juicy and coats the seasoning very well. That's the best thing about Chicken Breast. It takes to the seasoning very well and also cooks to perfection keeping the Chicken juicy.
We as a family just love a well-spiced Mexican Chicken Taco Recipe. It's spicy and tasty which is exactly what we love in our Tacos 🙂
Authentic Mexican shredded Chicken Tacos are known for their spicy flavors. It often uses Jalapenos, Chipotle Chilis, Smoked Paprika, and Ground Cumin which makes authentic Mexican Tacos taste so damn good. Well for this recipe, I used similar spices, except the Chipotle Chilis and Jalapenos. It's not too spicy but not too bland as well. This Chicken Carnitas recipe will definitely remind you of Authentic Mexican Shredded Chicken Tacos.
Be it a popular Restaurant style shredded Chicken Taco or a Street Style Chicken Taco, it always has one thing in common - Shredded Chicken and the spice mix. More than Most times - a combination of three spices - Oregano, Chili Powder, and Ground Cumin is the base for all of these Tacos.
I have cooked the Chicken for these Shredded chicken tacos in the oven. You can cook the Chicken in the Slow cooker for 6-8 hours along with the Carnitas spice mix or just cook it quickly in the Instant Pot. It totally depends on you whichever option you love. These are going to taste absolutely delicious...!
So, if you are looking for a quick Taco Tuesday recipe with Chicken, then this is it, guys. Please make these Chicken Carnitas Tacos. It's super simple and easy and you will fall in love with the flavors...
Also, Chicken Carnitas Tacos makes for a Healthy Taco Tuesday Recipe. It's lighter and easier. And of course, what can be better than some healthy Tacos right!
These Chicken Carnitas Tacos make for a perfect Weeknight Chicken Tacos recipe.
Which meat is used for Carnitas?
Ideally, Prok Shoulders is used for Carnitas. However, since we are making this one with Chicken so we will be using Chicken Breasts.
What toppings can I put on Carnitas?
The topping options for Carnitas Tacos are endless.
- Shredded Lettuce or Cabbage or Coleslaw
- Pico De Galo
- Thinly sliced Red Onions
- Chopped Jalapenos
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- Crumbled Cotija Cheese
- Avocado Slices or Guacamole
- Sour cream or Crema
- Salsa Verde
- Refried Beans
Ingredients for Chicken Carnitas Tacos
For the Carnitas Spice Mix
- Chicken Broth (Low Sodium) - For that juicy taste to the chicken.
- Orange Juice (with Pulp) - Preferably fresh for that perfect tang to the Carnitas
- Lime Juice - Refreshing & Zesty taste.
- Salt & Pepper - Because without seasoning, everything is dull and boring.
- Smoked Paprika - For that punch of Spice and Smoky Taste.
- Ground Cumin - For that Earthy Tone
- Dried Oregano - To bring in that typical Mexican flavor
- Minced Garlic - For a quick Garlicky kick
- Oil - Preferable Canola Oil or any other flavorless oil to bring everything together and help stick the spices to the chicken.
- Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Precooked Chicken
- Red Onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
How to make Chicken Carnitas Tacos
Chicken Carnitas Tacos is so easy. It's basically just broiling Shredded Chicken with the Carnitas Spice Mix. Broiling it every 5 minutes with the Spice mix doesn't allow the chicken to dry out, keeping them juicy and spicy as they get crispy on the edges.
You can replace Orange Juice with Beer.
You can serve these with Sour Cream or a Crema of your choice.
Other Taco recipes you will love:
Chipotle Grilled Chicken Pineapple Tacos
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Chicken Carnitas Recipe - Mexican Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe
- 1½ lbs Chicken Breasts Boneless & Skinless
- ½ cup Chicken Broth low sodium
- ¾ cup Orange Juice 2 medium sized oranges
- ¼ cup Lime Juice 2 lime
- 6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 small Lime Wedges
- ½ medium sized Red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 4 small Flour Tortillas
- Place the Chicken Breasts in the oven with 1 cup of water. Cook on high power for 5 minutes. When it gets cooked, discard the water and shred the chicken using two forks. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine, Chicken Broth, Orange Juice with Pulp, Lime Juice, Salt & Pepper, Ground Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Dried Oregano, Canola Oil, and Minced Garlic. Stir to combine everything.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of the Carnitas Spice Mix over the Chicken. Toss to combine with a spoon and broil for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add some more Broth and broil for 5 more minutes. Do this for 15 minutes or until the chicken gets crispy on the edges and soaks up all the liquid
- Warm the tortillas in the oven until pliable. Place the Carnitas filling in the Tortillas, along with red onion slices and chopped cilantro. Drizzle some lime juice on top. If you want, you can drizzle some crema on the top and then serve this.
Ask Me Anything