Watermelon Feta Salad is a fruity, sweet and salty Summer Salad recipe. This fresh, zesty, refreshing and delicious Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad is a perfect BBQ Side, perfect for Summer Potlucks, Cookouts, and a quick Summer Lunch recipe for sultry hot weekdays.
If you love Watermelon try this Watermelon Iced Tea
I have been obsessed with this Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad for the longest time.
Every Summer starting from June up until September I eat this Salad on a repeat for at least twice a week.
Actually there is this really great Salad place next to my Gym and after a heavy workout, I always grab a plate of this Summer Special Watermelon Salad along with Coffee. And it never disappoints!
- A Fruity Summer Salad
- What is Watermelon Feta Salad?
- More Mediterranean recipes
- How to chose a ripe Watermelon? (One which is juicy and sweet)
- Shop for the Best Feta Cheese
- FOR THE HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING
- How to make Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad
- Variations on Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad
- How to store Watermelon Feta Salad
- The best Summer Side Dish
- Top Tips to make the Best Watermelon Cucumber and Feta Salad
- More Summer Salad Recipes
- Watermelon, Cucumber & Feta Cheese Salad
A Fruity Summer Salad
Summers are a great time to enjoy some of the most refreshing and fresh salads. Especially Summer Salads with Fruits are a perfect treat on a sultry hot day!
If you are looking for a perfect Vegetarian Summer Salad with fruits, you will love this Watermelon Salad. Also try this Strawberry Romaine Salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
What is Watermelon Feta Salad?
Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad is a popular Summer salad recipe with fruits. This is originally an Egyptian Salad and is mostly made in the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean region.
You have tangy and salty Feta Cheese along with fruits which is a common ingredient in almost all Mediterranean recipes.
More Mediterranean recipes
- Mediterranean Shrimp Pasta
- Mediterranean Saffron Rice
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Chickpeas
- Low Carb Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
- Quinoa pilaf with cranberries and almonds
Here you have the juicy burst of fresh Watermelons which is so cooling and refreshing.
Then you have the crunch of Persian Cucumbers which is so great.
The crumbled Feta Cheese adds a big of tangy texture and salted taste to this fruity Summer salad.
How to chose a ripe Watermelon? (One which is juicy and sweet)
Whenever you're buring Watermelon, take it in your hands and weigh it. If it feels heavy, that means its ripen, and full of juices.
Also, look for the yellow spots. The yellow spots amidst the green in a Watermelon is a sign that this has been sitting on the field for a long time and has got enough time to ripen. If there are white spots that means the Watermelon is unripen.
Also, shop for Watermelon only in the season which is from May to August. Chances are if you are shopping for Watermelon in the peak season, you will get a juicy and ripe Watermelon.
Shop for the Best Feta Cheese
Feta Cheese is the highlight of this salad. And since its so easily avaible, please don't buy the crumbled and packaged ones. Purchace a block of Feta Cheese and crumble it yourself for the salad.
Try to find Greek Feta Cheese. You can tell from the texture of Feta Cheese if its from Cow's milk which crumbles easily and is very moist or Greek Brined Feta Cheese (Greek Feta) which is made using a combination of Sheep and Goat's milk!
The ingredients needed to make this Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad are pretty plain and simple.
- Watermelon - cut into cubes
- Cucumbers - Use slender Persian Cucumbers. Dice them and use for the salad. Cucumber Summer Salad recipes with a burst of juicu Watermelon is so good. Also Cucumber adds a bit of crunch to this Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad.
- Red Onions - I add Red Onions for a bit of crunch to the salad. Also its really fun to use, of course, adds a lot of color to this Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad.
- Feta Cheese - This of course is the highlight of this Watermelon Salad. Feta Cheese had a crumbly texture which is perfect to mix into salads. Also its low carb and healthy. And the best thing about this Watermelon Salad. You'll love the added tangy texture because of Feta Cheese to this very popular Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad.
- Mint Leaves - fresh Mint leaves adds a lot of freshness to this salad
- Lime Juice - Besides the Dressing, if you just squirt half a Lime over this Salad it tastes incredible
FOR THE HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING
If you don't already know, Watermelon and Mustard makes for a fantastic combination and hence I decided to go with this perfect Honey Mustard Dressing.
- Honey - a bit of honey balances the taste of mustard and makes this salad taste perfect
- Dijon Mustard - Mustard is perfect with Watermelon
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Vinegar - a bit of white vinegar makes the dressing so good
- Lime Zest - This makes the dressing so refreshing and fragrant.
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
How to make Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad
Cut the Watermelon into cubes. Use a deseeded watermelon if possible.
Combine Watermelon cubes with cucumber slices, & thinly sliced Red Onions. Top with crumbled Feta Cheese.
Make the dressing by combining Olive Oil, Vinegar, Honey, Dijon Mustard, Salt, Pepper, Lime Zest & Lime juice. Whisk until combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Garnish with freshly chopped Mint leaves and serve.
Hint: I love to refrigerate this salad for at least 30 min before serving. When this salad chills then it tastes even nice and refreshing. Especially the Watermelon cubes gets so perfectly chilled, tastes like fruity ice cubes!
If you have the time, you should definitely chill this salad before serving.
Variations on Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad
- Arugula - add baby Arugula to this Watermelon salad to make Watermelon Arugula Feta Salad. It makes for a perfect base for this salad.
- Basil - You can replace Mint with fresh Basil leaves
- Lemon Juice - if you can't find Lime, replace with Lemon.
- Strawberries - you can add Freshly chopped Strawberries to make Strawberry Watermelon Feta Cheese Salad. Strawberries are a perfect berry to be added to this salad. It tastes brilliant.
- Balsamic Vinegar - if you want to skip the dressing, then just drizzle Honey Mustard Dressing over the Salad and serve. Watermelon Feta Salad with Balsamic Vinegar dressing is simple, easy and the best!
How to store Watermelon Feta Salad
You can store leftover Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It works perfect for a side salad after dinner. Especially a healthy sweet salad to finish off the meal is such a great thing!
The best Summer Side Dish
This very fragrant and refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad is your perfect Summer Side Dish. Serve it right beside meaty dishes or Grilled Dinners or for Summer Potlucks or BBQ Cookouts. Everyone will love this extra special and different salad.
Top Tips to make the Best Watermelon Cucumber and Feta Salad
- Cut the Watermelon ahead of time and store.
- Use fresh and high quality ingredients. It does make a difference in the flavors and taste.
- Use good quality Feta Cheese
- Try to buy a seedless Watermelon especially for making this Watermelon Feta Salad
- You can skip Mint leaves and use Basil instead
- If you do not like this Honey Mustard Dressing, you can drizzle some Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper and Serve!
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Easy Orange Spinach Pasta Salad (Vegan)
- Easy Spinach Salad
- Cucumber Red Onion Avocado Salad
- Strawberry Chicken Salad with the Best ever dressing
- Strawberry Romaine Salad with balsamic vinaigrette
- The Best Vegan Tuna Salad
- Salmon Salad
- Traditional Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Summer Potato Salad
- Onion Cucumber Tomato Corn Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad Recipe with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Summer Tex Mex Salad
Watermelon, Cucumber & Feta Cheese Salad
- 6 cups Watermelon cubed
- 1 medium sized Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized Persian Cucumber diced
- ½ cup Feta Cheese crumbled, use Greek Feta Cheese
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves chopped (can replace with fresh Basil)
for the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar can replace with cider vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt freshly cracked
- 1 teaspoon Lime Zest
- 2 teaspoon Lime Juice juice of 1 Lime (can replace with fresh Lemon Juice)
- In a large Salad mixing bowl, combine Cubed Watermelon with sliced Red Onions, diced Cucumbers, and Crumbled Feta Cheese.
- In a mixing jar or bowl, add all the ingredients to make the Vinaigrette. Shake or Whisk until combined.
- Pour the Vinaigrette over the Salad. Toss until everything combines through. Refrigerate for 30 min before serving for ideal taste!