Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is an all-time Summer special side dish recipe that goes perfect with grilled and BBQ recipes of Summers. Cooked Macaroni is tossed with grated Carrots and Red Onions and an easy Mayo, Apple Cider Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, and Pepper dressing is drizzled on top. It's an easy and refreshing Macaroni Salad recipe.
This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad tastes so refreshing. Enjoy it with your favorite grilled food recipe and feel the tropical vibe right at the comfort of your home. I have never been to Hawaii although, we are planning to go there soon. However, this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a recipe that I have made a lot of times. Especially during Summer cookouts, this is my go-t0 salad or side dish recipe. It's so easy to make and goes perfectly with spicy food.
A VIDEO TUTORIAL 🙂
Let's talk about the Taste
This salad is really very refreshing and zesty. There is a sweetness due to the Mayonnaise and Sugar which is balanced by the Apple Cider Vinegar and Spices. The Carrot and Onions add to the sweetness of this wonderful Mac Salad.
How to make Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
So to make this easy Hawaiian Mac Salad you start by cooking up your Mac as per package instruction. You can pour your Mac in boiling water with some salt and oil for 3-4 minutes or until they become al-dente and then take them out. Strain your Mac in a colander and then use it.
Next, add in some grated Carrots and chopped Red Onions in the salad. Mix it well with your Mac.
Next, make a dressing of Mayonnaise, Apple Cider Vinegar, Milk, Sugar, Salt, and Pepper. Mix it well and pour over your Mac salad.
Top your salad with some fresh mint leaves and chill it for 2-3 hours before you serve it.
So, that's how you make this easy Hawaiian Mac salad. Isn't this recipe really easy. It's really fun too. I generally take the help of my kids to make this salad. It's so fun to make and becomes and interesting work for the kids to do, especially during the cookout season.
Other variations to this recipe
One of the most common reasons This Mac Salad is so popular in Hawaii is because it's so cheap and also I think it pairs perfectly with rice and other spicy Hawaiian recipes.
This recipe dressing is solely dependent on Mayonnaise. So, many people might find it difficult to consume because of the high-fat content. This is my personal opinion here. You can cut out a little on the Mayo and replace it with thick greek yogurt and some Milk.
Traditionally it's just made with Carrots and Onions. However, I have used several other veggies in this recipe over the years. From Scallions to Celery to Parsley to even Pineapple bits, tastes amazing in this salad.
How to store this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad?
Wrap up your Mac salad with a plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. This salad becomes especially tasty if you chill it and then have it. So, you can easily make it ahead and store it.
Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- ⅔ Cup Elbow shaped Macaroni
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Pieces Carrot Grated
- ¼ Cup Onions peeled and thinly sliced in the shape of a half moon about 1 cm thick.
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Milk any percentage
- 2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper or as per taste
- Boil Macaroni in some saline water until al dente. Soft but firm.
- Strain the macaroni and keep them in a clean bowl. When it is hot, add vinegar, carrots, and onions. Give them a toss with a spoon and keep aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl mix Mayonnaise, Milk, and Sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the Mayonnaise and milk mixture all over the cooled macaroni and veggies. Give them a good mix.
- Season your Hawaiian Macaroni Salad with salt and pepper. Adding some mint leaves for garnishing.
- Serve this as it is. Or Refrigerate for some time and then serve.
- If you feel that this has dried out then you can add some more Mayo and Milk.
- If you feel its too liquidy then you can add some chopped onions and grated carrots to balance out the thickness.