Southern Cinnamon Fried Apples is an easy and comforting dessert recipe. Made with fresh and Juicy, Red Honeycrisp Apples which are fried with brown butter and coated with Sugar, and spiced with Cinnamon.
These are tossed until caramelized and then it's topped with some Vanilla Ice Cream. It's just like my Pan-Fried Cinnamon Bananas only in the form of apples.
For that extra goodness, I have also added some toasted Walnuts on it along with a spring of Mint leaf and that generous drizzle of caramel sauce with a sprinkle of sea salt to finish it up! Doesn't it sound yum? It's really GOOD, I mean seriously good!
Talking about apples, have you tried my New-York Style Apple Crumb Pie, Classic Old-Fashioned Apple Pie, Stuffed Baked Apples, Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Bars with Maple Glaze, Cinnamon Apple Bread with Cream Cheese.
Let's talk about the Taste
Taste-wise, this Southern Fried Apples with a dollop of Vanilla Ice Cream and the Salted Caramel Dizzle reminds me of the beautiful season of fall.
There's that quintessential fall taste with the Apples, the Cinnamon, and of course my favorite - Salted caramel!
This dessert tastes heavenly. There's a sweetness because of the Vanilla Ice Cream, which is so wonderfully complemented by the Salted Caramel Flavors and of course, when you get a little bite of the Apples along with a crunch of the Walnuts after all those Creaminess, it feels so comforting! Just like Southern Food is supposed to taste. So comforting!!!
Talking about Southern Food have you tried my - Southern Creamed Corn, Southern Sweet Potato Cobbler, Southern Buttermilk Biscuits, Southern-fried Corn, or these Classic Southern Blueberry Muffins yet?
How to make Southern Fried Apples
Making the perfect Southern Fried Apples needs some perfect amount of ingredients, which will make sure that you get that exact southern soul food like taste.
Cracker Barell Fried Apples
Been to Cracker Barell before? Cracker Barell is a restaurant chain, mostly popular all across the South and Mid West. I am a huge lover of all Cracker Barell food. Especially their Hashbrown Casserole is a must try.
And then this Fried Apples! Oh its so good, perfectly juicy, warm and crispy apples!!!!!
What are the best apples to use?
So, you start by chopping your Apples. I have used Red Honeycrisp Apples.
However, this can be done with Green Granny Smith Apples or Pink Lady Apples or Fuji Apples
Red Apples taste more authentic and a little bit sweeter compared to Green Granny Smith Apples.
However, Southern Cinnamon Fried Apples are traditionally made with both Red as well as Green Apples. So, you cut the apples in half, core, and then go about cutting thin slices of it.
How to make Cinnamon Fried Apples
- You need to chop the apples into half-moon shapes. Once you've chopped off your Apples you can keep them aside. (I donot peel the apples, but if you want you can peel it and use)
- Heat butter in a skillet and once it starts to froth, stir it until it turns slightly brownish in color.
- Once your Brown Butter is ready, it's time to add the sugar. You can add the Sugar. Add Brown Sugar & Granulated Sugar along with ground Cinnamon in it and keep stirring until the sugar gets melted for 2 min.
- Once the Sugar gets melted, add the chopped Apples into it and coat them well.
- Cover cook on low heat for 12-15 min until the apples turn mushy and tender.
- Top your fried apples with vanilla ice cream and serve!
HINT: The exact time for the apples to soften depends on the apples and the number of apples you are using. For 4 cups of Chopped Apples, you'll need about 12-15 min until they soften.
So, that's how you make the best Southern Fried Apples easily at home. It's really a no-fuss recipe needing very few ingredients and tastes wonderful every time.
Tips on Making the Best Southern Fried Apples
- Chop the Apples into medium-thin slices. If you chop your apples too thin, then when you cook them it'll curl out and by the time you'll have it, you won't get any taste of Apples. So, cut a little thick half-moon slices. They'll be easier to coat with Caramel sauce and also will taste great.
- You can use any sugar you wish to. I have used granulated sugar. However, you are free to use brown Sugar or Coarse white sugar as well.
- Keep stirring the sugar and butter constantly or else, very soon it'll crystalize and it'll be difficult to coat it on your apples.
- Keep the heat on low when you are preparing the Caramel sauce.
- Add a final drizzle of caramel sauce on the dish.
- Also, sprinkle some sea salt on your dessert. It'll balance out the sweetness of the Apples.
- Adding the Toasted Walnuts is totally optional. It's actually something I like so I thought of adding it. If you wish, you can totally ignore it.
- You can add Ground Nutmeg and Ground Ginger as well. You can add them while you are adding the Cinnamon.
- Don't overdo the spices - especially Cinnamon as it'll kill the dish completely. Just add the mentioned quantity.
So, that's how you make the best Southern Fried Apples easily at home. Not just for fall, these make for an excellent Summer dessert recipe as well. Enjoy it with your family!
Other Popular Apple Recipes
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Pecan Cobbler
- Caramel Pecan Apple Crumble Cheesecake
- Healthy Apple Cranberry Muffins
- Soft and Fluffy Apple Fritters with Almond Milk
- Old-Fashioned Apple Pecan Cupcakes
- Apple Jam in Slow Cooker
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, share your fried apple image and tag me on Instagram @recipemagik with #recipemagik.
Southern Fried Apples
- 4 cups chopped apples sliced into half-moons (Use granny Smith Apples OR Fuji Apples OR Pink Lady Apples)
- 1 medium sized lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoon Salted Butter
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar 100g or 3.55 Oz
- ¼ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
Topping / Decoration (optional)
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Ice Cream or Cool Whip
- ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecan 50g Lightly toasted (optional)
- 2 Tablespoon Caramel Sauce store-bought
- 1 pinch Sea Salt Adjust as per taste
- 1 spring Fresh Mint Leaves OPTIONAL
- First, chop the apples. Cut the Apple into half. Remove the seeds. Chop it into 1/2 inch thick slices. Squeeze lemon on top to prevent them from browning.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat and once it starts to melt, stir using a wire whisk or a spatula. The Butter will start to bubble and get frothy. After 3-minutes the bubbling shall stop. At this moment stir and your brown butter is ready. It is advisable to do this step in a light-colored pan so that you can see the butter changing color.
- Once, the brown butter is ready, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar and ground cinnamon to it. Whisk to combine and cover cook for 2 min over low heat
- Add the Sliced Apples. Toss to combine with the butter and sugar. Cook for 12-15 min over medium low heat until the apples soften.
- Toast the chopped Walnuts until you get a nutty aroma. You can also use chopped Pecan as a replacement.
- Take the Apples out on a plate. Top with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream, toasted Walnuts, Mint leaves, Caramel Sauce, and a pinch of Sea Salt. Enjoy!!!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can freeze leftovers in an airtight contianer in the freezer for upto 3 months
- You can add other spices such as 1/8 Teaspoon ground Nutmeg and 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger, or 1/2 Teaspoon All-Spice into this dish. Add them along with the ground Cinnamon.
- You can replace Walnuts with Pecans.
- The Ice Cream on top is optional.
- This can be made with Red Honeycrisp Apples as well as Green Granny Smith Apples.
Anjanette M Carson says
Can this be made with sugar substitute, such as monkfruit sweetener??
Yes, I don't see why not. You can use any other sweetener of your choice. But, I haven't tried it so I cannot tell.
Just the recipe I was looking for! This is exactly like my Nana’s . So so so delicious
Loved this apple recipe! Super yummy