Instant Pot Thai Cashew Chicken - Crispy Chicken, roasted cashews, and bird's eye chili tossed in a sweet and lightly spicy sauce make this incredibly delicious Asian Chicken Dinner recipe which the entire family will love.
Thai Cashew Chicken 🇹🇭
Generally, this recipe is cooked in a Saute Pan. But, I have cooked mine in an Instant Pot. Instant Pot cooks the chicken faster and since you are pressure cooking, the chicken tastes even more delicious.
In my home, I make it a point to cook something Asian at least once a week. I have been thinking about making this Thai cashew Nut chicken for a long time now.
The thing is, I love cashew nuts. I had made Asian Cashew Chicken a few months back and it is something that I LOVE. And, since then I have been thinking about making this Thai Cashew Nut chicken.
The nuttiness of Cashew nuts paired with soft and crispy chicken coated in a sticky Asian sauce is simply mind-blowing.
I love Cashew Nuts since I was a kid. I remember going into my kitchen during the afternoon and eating a handful of Cashew nuts when no one notice.
Cashew Nuts are simply amazing. And, they turn even better when you roast them. Roasted Cashew nuts have a smoky taste which makes them taste even better.
In my home, I make so many recipes for Cashew Nuts. Sometimes it's added in the form of paste-like in this - Chicken Korma Recipe. Sometimes it is added just like that for garnish - like in this Malai Kofta recipe.
And, sometimes, we use it in a dessert such as in this Thandai Cheesecake Mousse.
But, there are only a few times when Cashew Nuts becomes the king of the recipe. And, Apart from Asian Cashew Chicken, this Thai Cashew Nut Chicken is one recipe where Cashew Nut becomes the prime ingredient.
And, once you taste it, you are gonna be blown away. The nuttiness of roasted cashews, the crispy chicken, the slight heat from bird's eye chilies, the sweetness of the sticky sauce, the sharp punch of Dark Soy Sauce, and the complex flavors of Oyster sauce makes this Thai Cashew Chicken taste so damn good.
Ingredients for Thai Cashew Nut Chicken
In this recipe for Thai Cashew Nut Chicken, you need the following Ingredients.
- Cashew Nuts
- Bird's Eye Chilies
- Bell Pepper
For Thai Cashew Chicken Sauce
- Dark Soy Sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Chopped Bird's Eye Chilies
Recipe for Thai Cashew Chicken
Step 1: Coat Chicken in Flour, Salt, and Pepper
First of all cut boneless skinless chicken breast into small 1-inch cubes. Coat chicken cubes in flour, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Saute Chicken
Put your Instant Pot on Saute mode and heat some oil in it. As the oil gets hot, add chicken breast cut into small 1-inch cubes. Saute chicken until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Once done, take it out.
Step 3: Roast Cashews
In the same pot, add cashews and roast until they turn lightly golden brown. Toss them over and let both sides turn equally golden brown. Do not saute them for too long. They might burn. Once done, take them out and keep them aside. If they burn then do not add them to the recipe, it will taste bitter.
- Step 4: Saute Bird's eye chili
In the same pot add Bird's eye chili and saute until it just starts to get brown. Once done, take them out and keep them aside.
Step 5: Make the Sauce
In a pyrex glass Jar combine Dark Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sugar, Minced Garlic, Chopped Bird's eye chilies, and some water. Stir well to combine, keep it aside.
Step 6: Saute Onions & Bell Pepper
In the same pot, add chopped Onions. Saute until the onions turn translucent.
Once the onions are done, add thinly sliced bell pepper. Saute them for another minute.
Step 7: Add Chicken, Cashews, & Chilies
In the same pot, add Chicken, Cashews, and bird's eye chilies which you had sauteed and kept aside.
Step 8: Pour the Sauce
Now pour the Sauce that you had made in Step 5. Stir well and add cornstarch slurry (2 tablespoon cornstarch + 3 tablespoon water) let it simmer for a minute.
Step 9: Pressure Cook for 3-minutes
Finally, cover the Instant pot with a Lid. Let it Pressure cook for 3-minutes on High Pressure. Once done allow the pressure to release naturally.
And, that's how you make Thai Cashew Chicken in Instant Pot.
Is there any difference between Thai Cashew Chicken and Asian Cashew Chicken?
Generally, Asian Cashew Chicken which you find in popular restaurants all across America is mostly sweet. But, Thai Cashew Chicken is not too sweet. And, therefore we have added just a pinch of Granulated Sugar.
Secondly, Bird's Eye Chili is super-important for this recipe for Thai Cashew Nut Chicken. Bird's Eye Chili is widely grown in South East Asia. You can find this in any grocery store. Do not skip this. Bird's eye chili will give your Chicken that Authentic Thai Taste.
- Be Patient while growing chicken. Since you are sauteing in an Instant pot, so it will take time. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Use Raw cashews. Do not use Salted Cashews or else your recipe might turn out too salty.
- You can also make this in a Saute pan. But, be careful as it might burn in a matter of minutes.
Other Thai Recipes you can try
- Crispy Baked Thai Chicken Wings
- Creamy Thai Peanut Chicken
- Sweet Chili Chicken Recipe
- Thai Red Coconut Chicken Curry with Jasmine Rice
- Thai Curried Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
- Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice With Zucchini
- Thai Chicken Stir Fry
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Easy Thai Green Curry Chicken Recipe
- Thai Sweet and Sour Salmon
- Thai Peanut Lime Shrimp Curry
- Green Curry Shrimp | Thai Green Curry Recipe
- Peanut Shrimp Pad Thai Recipe
- Sticky Thai Meatballs with Peanut Sauce
- Creamy Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe
Instant Pot Thai Cashew Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Teaspoon each Salt and ground Black Pepper
- ½ Cup raw cashews unsalted
- 4-5 Large Bird's Eye chilies thinly chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ medium bell pepper thinly sliced
Thai Cashew Chicken Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 Teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 5 large bird's eye chilies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Chopped Green Onions & Chopped cilantro
- Coat Chicken: Coat Chicken in four, Salt, and Pepper.
- Saute Chicken: Put your Instant pot on Saute mode and heat some oil in it. Once the oil gets hot, add chicken cut into small cubes. Saute chicken on High until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Once done, take it out and keep aside.
- Roast Cashews: In the same pot add raw cashews. Roast cashews on low heat until light brown on the outside. Do not overbrown. Once done, take it out and keep aside.
- Saute Bird's eye chilies: In the same pot add bird's eye chilies. Saute them until just starting to get browned. Remove from the pot and keep aside.
- Make Sauce: Combine all the ingredients for Thai Cashew Chicken Sauce and keep aside.
- Saute Onions and bell pepper: Add chopped onions and thinly sliced bell pepper in the same pot. Saute until they tenderize on low heat.
- Add Sauteed Chicken, chilies, and cashews: Add Sauteed Chicken, Chilies, and roasted cashews back into the pot. Toss until combined.
- Pour Sauce: Pour the sauce into the pot. Stir until combined.
- Make Cornstarch Slurry: Make cornstarch slurry and pour it into the sauce. Stir well until the sauce thickens.
- Pressure cook: Cover the Instant Pot with lid. Pressure cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with chopped green onions and chopped cilantro. Serve with jeera rice or plain fried rice.