Refreshing and Zesty Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice with Zucchini is a perfect summer dinner recipe. Lemongrass and Coconut Fried Rice is both nutty and sweet because of the coconut. It also has a deep and refreshing Lemongrass and Lime flavor. Its aroma is as if you are smelling a freshly sliced juicy lemon. Zesty, fragrant and so refreshing...! The Zucchini adds the perfect veggie crunch to this fried rice. Also, the Kafir Lime Leaves on top add an aromatic Lemon fragrance to this Coconut Lemongrass Fried Rice.
Hey guys! The sunny days are some of the best times of the year! This gorgeous and sunny time of the year, call for some innovative and refreshing recipes. My summer recipes are all about keeping it easy and simple but keeping it high on flavors and freshness.
When I am cooking Summer dinners, I always try to include a lot of veggies in the meals I make. Especially fried rice is an easy and perfect way to incorporate a lot of veggies like Zucchini, Beans, and Carrots which kids otherwise hate to try!
A humble bowl of this Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice along with any curry of your choice or grilled chicken makes for a yummy and wholesome family dinner recipe.
Growing up in India, Rice is one of our all-time staples. This Lemongrass Coconut Fried is an Asian inspired recipe. While in India, the traditional Coconut Fried Rice or Lemon Fried Rice is super popular, especially in the southern states. However, I thought of adding some Lemongrass and Peanuts to this to give a perfect Thai touch.
This Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice has such an authentic Thai flavor to it. You can serve it with some Tomato slices, Lime Wedges, and Kafir Lime Leaves, and it's done! You will feel like you are having it in Thailand or in a Thai restaurant.
How is Chinese Fried Rice Different from A Thai Fried Rice?
While Chinese Fried Rice is more saucy and spicy, Thai Fried Rice has simple and subtle flavors. Thai Fried Rice is always made with Jasmine Rice while Chinese Fried Rice is made with Long Grain Rice. Also, Thai Fired Rice uses Oyster sauce or Fish Sauce, while Chinese Fried Rice is typically incomplete without Soy Sauce.
Ingredients used for Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice with Zucchini
This Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice is filled with flavors. Also, to make it feel more wholesome and healthy, I add some Cabbage, chopped Carrots, Zucchini, and Beans. I know these are not typical ingredients in Thai Fried Rice, but I just love it so much that I cannot imagine fried rice without veggies. Although, you can make it without any veggies.
Jasmine Rice: I use cooked and cooled jasmine rice for this recipe. The cold rice is so easy to work with. It gets fried easily and soaks the flavor quickly.
Peanuts: I have used Peanuts. I love Peanuts in this Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice. They provide the perfect nutty taste to this recipe.
Cashew Nuts: Also, I use some Cashew Nuts. I use both these nuts because they provide the perfect taste to my fried rice.
Ginger: Also, ginger adds the desired spiciness and a hint of sweetness to this rice.
Coconut: I have used both shredded coconut and coconut milk for this rice.
I haven't used fresh lemongrass. Instead, I have boiled my Lemongrass in water and just used the water residue. This results in deep-seated and intense Lemony Lemongrass flavors in this Fried Rice.
Veggies: For the veggies, I have used Carrots, Beans, and Chopped Zucchini for this recipe. Although there is no rule about veggies in a Thai Fried Rice, you can use any veggies you have at home for this recipe.
For the Garnish, I have used a wedge of Lime and Tomato and some Kafir lime Leaves. Kafir Lime leaves are so flavorful. They impart a deep lemony flavor. If you don't have this you can use Cilantro, although the taste is totally different. Kafir lime has a sweet taste like basil but is as fragrant as a juicy lime!
Making the Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice with Zucchini
This Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice is so fresh and flavorful. It has a hint of sweetness!
Since I use a day old rice or cooked rice for this recipe, so I typically start with cooking my Jasmine Rice. I cook it and then cool it down.
Then I toast my Peanuts and Cashew Nuts and keep it aside.
Then in the same Pan, I add the chopped ginger and garlic. As it starts to sizzle, I add my veggies and roast them lightly. Then I add some shredded coconut in this and add the coconut milk to it. As it begins to boil, I add my cooked rice to it and mix well.
Finally, to finish off, I add the Lemongrass water to it along with all the Nuts and toss it really well. I top my rice with some more lemon juice and serve it hot with a lime wedge, kafir lime leaves, and tomato wedge!
So, that's how you make the easiest Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice with Zucchini at home. It's so easy and so delicious, that everyone will love it for sure.
Other recipes you might be interested in:
Grilled Honey Lemon Basil Chicken
Asian Cucumber Red Onion Salad
I hope you liked this recipe. If you make this recipe, then please find a moment to share an image on Instagram by tagging me with #recipemagik. Also, if you might comment on my recipe and provide a rating to this recipe, it would mean the world to me!
Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice
- ½ cup Jasmine Rice
- 10-12 whole Peanuts
- 10-12 whole Cashew Nuts
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 1 medium sized Carrot chopped
- ¼ cup Green Beans chopped
- 1 medium sized Zucchini chopped
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 5-10 whole Lemongrass stalks boiled in water
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 slice Tomato for garnish
- 2 wedges Lime for garnish
- 3-4 whole Kafir Lime Leaves for garnish
- Cook the Jasmine Rice and cool it down for 5 minutes before you use it. If its a day old it would be perfect.
- Heat a skillet and roast the Peanuts and Cashew Nuts, until they start to turn brownish. Keep them aside
- Add some vegetable oil in the same pan. As the oil gets hot, add chopped ginger and garlic. Then add the Chopped Carrots, Beans, and chopped Zucchini. Stir fry them over high heat. You do not have to cook them until tender. They should remain slightly crunchy.Add the Shredded Coconut and Coconut Milk. Also, add turmeric, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook until this mixture comes to a light boil
- Add the Cooked Jasmine Rice and mix well until combined. To make the Lemongrass water, boil the chopped lemongrass in a saucepan and strain the water. Add the Lemongrass water into the cooked rice and mix well.
- Finally, add the nuts. Squeeze some Lemon juice on top. Serve hot with a wedge of lime and slice of Tomato. Top with some Kafir Lime Leaves.
- You can use canned coconut milk
- This can also be made with Long Grain Rice
- You can add more veggies of your choice.
Yummmm! Love this recipe! So great!