Chicken Korma - A delicious Indian Chicken Curry recipe with a nutty and yogurt-based gravy that gets ready in less than 30-minutes.
The Basic Ingredients for homemade Chicken Korma are Yogurt, Chicken, and Cashew Nuts.
This chicken curry recipe is also called Chicken Kurma in some places. And has a sweetish and nutty sort of texture. Keep in mind that this is different from Chicken Pasanda although they look similar.
🍛 Chicken Korma Recipe
The chicken Korma recipe is one of those recipes that you generally order from various restaurants. This is because this is an elegant chicken recipe. When I say, elegant, I mean, it belongs to the Mughal Era.
Chicken dinner is always my favorite dinner. But, shahi chicken korma is a recipe that fulfills my soul.
As you know we are adding cashew nut paste in the gravy so there is a slightly nutty texture in the gravy. Since we have not added turmeric in the gravy, so this has a white color.
Basically, Shahi Chicken Korma should always have a white-colored gravy. But, these days, I really don't know why people add turmeric and all other spices such as Red Chili Powder, and Cumin Powder while making Chicken Korma.
This is not how it should be. If you want to make Authentic Shahi Chicken Korma, then the color of the gravy should be absolutely white.
👩🍳 How to Make Chicken Korma
To Make Chicken Korma these are the steps that you should follow:
- Boil Onions. First, cut the onion in half and then keep it in a pan with boiling water. When you keep the onions in boiling water it becomes creamy and soft.
- Next, we'll cool them down and then make a paste of it.
- Marinate the chicken with just salt and Pepper.
- First, fry the chicken with some canola oil. When they get beautifully browned on both sides, you need to take them out and keep them aside.
- Now in the same pan, add some more oil. Add the boiled onion paste, along with ginger garlic paste and a spoon of green chili paste. Cook until the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes away.
- Season it with some salt.
- Add the fried chicken pieces along with cashew paste and some milk. Simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover Cook for 15-minutes.
- Add some Kevra essence or Kevra water and serve with some Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek Leaves garnished on top.
💯 Some Tips for Making Mughlai Chicken Korma
To make this delicious Chicken Curry, you need to follow these steps:
- Make sure your chicken is thoroughly washed before you use it.
- While marinating only use salt and pepper. Adjust the salt as per your taste. Too much salt or too little salt can ruin the entire dish.
- Keep in mind that you have to cool the boiled onions before you make a paste out of it. A quick tip: If you want to speed up the cooling process, just add some ice cubes or cold water in the bowl containing boiled onions and keep it under the fan for 5-6 minutes.
- While Frying Chicken make sure your heat is high. And turn over when one side is done.
- While making the gravy we do not add many spices. In this recipe, we need just one spice which is black pepper powder.
- We must never add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, and Coriander Powder while making this recipe. Fewer spices always mean a tastier dish.
🍳 How to Make Chicken Korma Sauce
Chicken Korma Sauce is a thick, nutty sauce with so many flavors. It has a sweet sort of texture with a little creamy sort of taste. There is no sugar (PS - You Never really add sugar in any Chicken Recipe). But, it has a mildly sweet sort of taste. And this is how you make Chicken Korma Sauce.
- The sauce is made using boiled onion paste. Boiled onion gives a creamy texture to this gravy. I have seen many people fry onions and then make a paste of it. That's also good. But, I will suggest you go with this recipe. It is easier this way.
- In the sauce, we add lots of ginger garlic paste. Since we are not adding any masala or spices, we need to support it with this paste.
- Now add green chili paste so that you give it a spiced touch.
- Lastly, a touch of Kevra water gives it a nice Mughlai touch. It makes it a little more amazing.
🇮🇳 Other Indian Recipes for dinner
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chicken Madras
- Malabar Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Indian Spiced Spinach Chicken | Spinach Chicken | Murg Saagwala
- Tandoori Chicken Wings (in Air Fryer & in Oven)
Chicken Korma or Shahi Chicken Korma or White Chicken Gravy
- 250 gm Chicken Breasts skinned, cut into medium pieces and thoroughly washed
Marination for Chicken
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black pepper Powder
Chicken Korma Gravy
- 2 Large Onions halved
- 2 Tablespoon Refined Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Green Chili paste
- ½ Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 Cup Cashew Paste About 1 cup Cashew nuts soaked, drained and ground to a paste
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) crushed (FOR GARNISH)
- 2 Large Green Chilies OPTIONAL (FOR GARNISH)
- 1 teaspoon Kewra Essence Pandan extract
- First wash your chicken pieces thoroughly. Next, pat then dry. Now marinate them with some salt and some black pepper powder. Keep it aside.
- First, cut two large onion in half. Put them in a saucepan with Boiling water and let the onions sit in boiling water for at least 3-4 minutes. Now take them out. Cool them down to room temperature and then make a paste of it. Keep it aside.
- In a Non-stick Pan heat some Canola oil. As the oil gets hot, add chicken pieces and keep the flame to medium to low. Cook both sides until brown. Take them out and keep it aside.
- In the Same pan add some more oil. Add the Onion paste that you had made in step 2. Add ginger garlic paste. Add green chili paste. Cook until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away. This will take about 3-4 minutes on low flame. Then add the fried chicken pieces. Add cashew paste and some milk. Coat the gravy over the chicken and stir lightly. Add some kewra water.Now cover cook on low heat for at least 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is completely done.
- Garnish your chicken korma or shahi chicken or white chicken gravy with dried fenugreek leaves (crushed) and some green chilies.Serve with naan bread.