Use the leftover pan-drippings to make turkey gravy and serve this with Garlic Mashed Potato, Sweet Corn Casserole,Maple Mustard Green Beans, Mom's Turkey Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce with Orange Juice and make it a complete meal.🍁🍂
Can you believe it? Juicy, tender turkey breast and in less than 1 hour. woohoo 🎉
If cooking an whole turkey seems like a lot to you and you are not too good with leftover turkey, then cooking a turkey breast or a turkey thigh seems like a reasonable, budget-friendly, and a family friendly recipe 😀
Not interested in these? You might find these interesting!
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
- Turkey Chili in a Crockpot
- Honey Baked Ham Recipe
- Simple Oven Roast Chicken Recipe (Air Fryer or Oven)
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
🧑🍳How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Breast
Roasted Turkey Breast in less than 1 hour. Well, thanks to the Instant Pot.
- Step 1: Coat your Turkey in olive oil
Rub olive oil on the top and on the inside of the turkey breast. This helps the spices and the seasonings stick to the turkey breast.
- Step 2: Rub Turkey Breast with Seasonings and Spices
Rub your Turkey breast with celery salt, freshly ground black pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, dried and pulverized sage, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Step 3: Add Butter and oil to the instant pot on High Heat Sauté mode
Put your Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Press the button and make sure your Instant Pot is in High Heat mode. Add butter and olive oil. Allow them to melt.
- Step 4: Add Turkey breast in the Instant Pot
Add seasoned turkey breast in the instant pot. Sear both sides for 8-10 minutes. Remove from instant pot and place on a cutting board.
- Step 5: Place Turkey on the Instant Pot Wire Rack
I like to use the Instant Pot wire rack to make sure the turkey cooks evenly. So place the instant pot wire rack in the instant pot. Place the turkey on the wire rack. Close the lid.
- Step 6: Cook on Manual setting @ High Pressure for 35-minutes
Cook on Manual settings at High pressure for at least 25-30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the turkey reads 180 degrees F.
- Step 7: Allow Pressure to release naturally
Allow pressure to release naturally. This shall take about 15-minutes. If you are in a hurry then follow the user manual and perform a QPR or Quick pressure release.
- Step 8: Carve and Serve
Transfer the turkey to a cutting board. Cover it up with an aluminum foil and let it sit for 10-20 minutes. (I know its hard but its gonna be worth it). Then carve it up into slices and serve.
ALTERNATIVE - You can skip searing the turkey part and broil your turkey later on for a crispy golden brown skin.
HINT - Once you take out turkey from the instant pot you can transfer it to your oven and turn on the broil mode. Broil until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
📦Storing Leftover Turkey
You can store leftover turkey in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze leftover turkey in the freezer.
These classic sides will make your Instant Pot turkey worthwhile.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Irish Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage
- Southern Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Green bean Casserole or Green Beans Almondine or Cheesy Green Beans
- Best Cranberry Sauce Recipe with Orange Juice
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- [2-Ingredient] Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli
How Long Should I cook Turkey Breast in Instant Pot
🍗FRESH - 6 minute per pound + 10 minute NPR
- 2 lb = 12 minutes + 10 minute NPR (Natural Pressure release) = 22 minutes
- 3 lb = 18 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 28 minutes
- 4 lb = 24 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 34 minutes
- 5 lb = 30 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 40 minutes
- 6 lb = 36 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 46 minutes
- 7 lb = 42 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 52 minutes
- 8 lb = 48 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 58 minutes
❄️FROZEN - 10 minute per pound + 10 minute NPR
- 2 lb = 20 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 30 minutes
- 3 lb = 30 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 40 minutes
- 4 lb = 40 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 50 minutes
- 5 lb = 50 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 60 minutes (1 hour)
- 6 lb = 60 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 70 minutes (1 hour 10 minutes)
- 7 lb = 70 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 80 minutes (1 hour 20 minutes)
- 8 lb = 80 minutes + 10 minute NPR = 90 minutes (1 hour 30 minutes)
🌡Most effective way to check the doneness of Turkey
Using an instant read thermometer is the MOST easiest way to determine the doneness of your cooked turkey.
Insert the thermometer in the thickest part of the turkey breast. If it records a temperature of 165 degrees F or more then your Turkey is perfectly cooked.
- Turkey broth - If you don't want to use chicken broth you can simply use Turkey broth to make this recipe.
- Italian Seasoning - Instead of using rosemary, thyme, tarragon, sage you can simply use Italian seasoning.
- Cook Veggies - instead of simply pouring chicken broth you can cook onions, garlic, celery, and carrots in the instant pot and then pour chicken broth. You can use them to make the gravy later on.
Can I brine my Turkey before placing it in the Instant Pot
If you want to brine your turkey then follow my Turkey brine recipe and skip out kosher salt from the turkey rub. You can also skip herbs since my turkey brine is already flavorful.
Can I make turkey breast in the Slow Cooker
Slow cooker Turkey breast is something that many people love. You can also use your Instant Pot as your slow cooker.
Basically to cook your turkey breast in slow cooker all you have to do is season your turkey breasts and place them in the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 5-6 hours or until the Turkey Breast turns tender and juicy.
How long should I cook Turkey Breast in the Instant Pot
A general rule of thumb suggests that you should cook your turkey breast at least 6-minute per pound and allow a 10-minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR) time.
Can I make Whole Turkey in my Instant Pot
Yes but you can cook whole turkey in your Instant pot only when you have a small turkey.
Basically, you can cook a 8-9 lb turkey in a 8 quart instant pot. The rule remains the same.
6 minutes per pound + 10 minute NPR (Natural pressure release)
Therefore for a small 8 lb whole turkey it takes = 8x6 = 48 minutes + 10 minutes Natural Pressure release to cook the turkey completely.
- If you are brining your turkey then skip herbs and kosher salt.
- A 5 lb to 7 lb turkey breast will easily get into a 6 quart instant pot. If you have an 8 quart instant pot then you can place 9 lb turkey breast or a whole mini turkey of 9 lb in the instant pot.
- Make sure you rinse your turkey (only if frozen) and pat dry completely before you start rubbing it will oil.
- If you are using frozen turkey then make sure you Thaw it out completely before cooking.
🥘More Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Parm Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- BBQ Chicken in Instant Pot (Pulled Chicken)
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chicken Vindaloo in Instant Pot
Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- 4 pound boneless skinless turkey breasts
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary chopped or dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon tarragon
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage dried and pulverized
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt salt as per taste
- Freshly ground black pepper as per taste
- Drizzle olive oil over turkey and on the inside. This helps the spices stick to the turkey breast.
- In a small mixing bowl combine rosemary, thyme, tarragon, rubbed sage, cayenne pepper, celery salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and Freshly ground black pepper. Use a fork to break down sugar.
- Rub this turkey spice mix on the outside and on the inside of the turkey.
- Put your Instant Pot on sauté mode. Heat olive oil and melt butter.
- Place Turkey in the Instant Pot and sear for 5-8 minutes on all sides. Remove from instant pot and place on a cutting board.
- Pour 1 cup chicken stock if using a 6 quart Instant Pot or 1.5 cup chicken stock of using a 8 quart instant pot. Place the trivet or rack inside the instant pot. Place the turkey in the trivet.
- Close the lid and set valve to "sealing" position. Press Manual high pressure. Pressure cook for 35 minutes.
- When your Instant Pot beeps, press "cancel" and allow pressure to release naturally for 10-minutes. This will help retain the juiciness of turkey. Then release the remaining pressure manually.
- Once pressure has released, open the lid keeping your face away. Use two forks to remove the turkey from the instant pot.
- Cover your turkey with an aluminum foil and let it sit for 20-minutes before carving and serving.