Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes is a drool-worthy side dish that just turns the table around. Yes! It is actually that good. So tasty, so crispy, so buttery, and so amazing!
All you need are few Yukon Gold Potatoes, Melted Butter, Garlic Cloves, Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper, and of course, the spices. The spices that I have used are Dried Oregano, Thyme, and just a dash of Cayenne Pepper. And, lastly, some Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese to give it a cheesy and crispy makeover.
Have you ever had something, which didn't quite look delicious, but, as you took its first bite it felt like something extraordinarily delicious? Well, today was exactly that sort of day for me.
What You will Love about this recipe?
- Crispy on the outside and moist, mashy, creamy, buttery, and herby on the inside.
- These are so good that they won't last a minute on the table.
- These taste almost like french fries. But, you get more of that, since they are whole potatoes. Moreover, these are rustic and simple. The flavors of this smashed potato lies in its simplicity.
- They are so easy to make and you can easily customize it. Instead of Yukon Gold Potatoes, you can use Russet Potatoes or small baby potatoes, or even Red Potatoes. Baby potatoes make for an excellent recipe because they are bite-sized and are a perfect appetizer that the crowd would gobble in no-time. 🙂
- You can always play with the use of spices and herbs. The traditional recipe calls for just Garlic and Parmesan along with Salt and Pepper. However, I love the combination of dried Thyme and Oregano in this recipe. Also, you can add some dried Sage along with some Chili flakes if you like it hot.
- You will love the crunchy and buttery skin of the potatoes. Also, the mashy, buttery, and creamy potato flesh on the inside is to die for.
I just took the first bite of this Smashed Potato and I came rushing to present you with a true picture of how this tastes. The skin is crispy and as you take its first bite, you get a beautiful mashy, creamy, buttery potato filling. The skin turns beautifully crispy. And, the Cheese along with Butter makes this taste so amazing.
Tips to Make Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
This is one of the easiest recipes ever. It's just squishing the potatoes and baking. However, over the years I have discovered some basic tricks that make this recipe even better.
- TIP#1: Always use the Potatoes with the skin. The skin of the potatoes gets really crispy and buttery. Also, potato skin is actually very healthy and filled with fiber.
- TIP#2: After you've steamed the potatoes, make sure that they are completely dried before you squish them. The drier the potatoes, the crispier the skin will get.
- TIP#3: After 20-minutes of baking the potatoes, baste with some more of the flavored oil and butter from the baking pan itself. This ensures crispy skin and a brown top.
- TIP#4: DO NOT Remove the skin of potatoes while you boil them. Skinless potatoes tend to get overcooked and when you squish them they tend to crumble into pieces. The skin of the potatoes kind of holds everything together.
- TIP#5: DO NOT Cut the Potatoes in half while boiling them. (Even if you have large potatoes)
You can always add more seasoning and flavors to these smashed potatoes as per your desire. But, honestly, these are so tasty that they hardly need anything else.
What to Serve these Crispy Smashed Potatoes with?
These go great as a side dish with these mains:
- Grilled Honey Lemon Basil Garlic Chicken
- Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Nacho Cheese Dorito Chicken Casserole
However, I can always have these crispy potatoes just by itself. They are finger-licking good.
How to Make this Ahead of time?
You can boil the potatoes, squish them, season with butter, and seasoning. And, then wrap it up with a foil and pop it in the refrigerator. Before you bake it, remember to put them out of the fridge for at least an hour before they go into the oven.
Other Potato Recipes:
- Summer Potato Salad
- Potato Leek Soup (Without Heavy Cream or Creme Fraiche)
- Crispy Potato Cheese Balls
If you liked this recipe, then please provide a rating below. If you can take a snap of the final recipe and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik it would be great.
Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 500 gm Potatoes 1.10lb
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter 40gm (MELTED)
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper Adjust as per taste
- Finely Chopped Parsley OPTIONAL FOR GARNISH
- Take out the potatoes in a 9x13 inches baking dish. Smash the Potatoes using the end of a glass. You will have to sort of squish the potatoes. You can also do it using a fork.
- Top with 1/4 cup of butter. Add the garlic cloves over the Potatoes. Season the Potatoes with Dried Thyme, Oregano, Salt, and freshly cracked Black Pepper. Also sprinkle some Cayenne Pepper over the Potatoes. Top the Potatoes with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and pop it in the oven.Bake the Potatoes for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, get it out and bast the potatoes with some more oil. You can also add some more olive oil over the Potatoes and then pop it back in the oven for 20 more minutes or until it gets golden brown in color.
- Serve the Smashed potatoes hot. Sprinkle with some parsley if you wish to.
- All kinds of potatoes works perfectly fine with this recipe. I love to use Yukon Gold Potatoes because they cook really quickly.
- However, this worls fine with Russet Potatoes or baby potatoes as well.