Green Beans Almondine is a classic French recipe that makes an incredibly delicious side dish.
If you are looking for best Green beans recipes then this is it. Green Beans with slivered Almonds is like the next level side dish that you can serve to your guests during the holidays.
I am sure you must be very busy thinking about easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes. It's true. Side Dishes takes way more time and prep than main course recipes. And, don't get me started on the Appetizers.
What's with the Name - Green Bean Almondine
Green Bean Almondine is a traditional French Recipe where Almondine is a culinary term for almond garnish. Almonds is an integral part of French recipes. French people love almonds and they use them in so many of their recipes.
So, if you are asking yourself what is Green bean Almondine?
Basically, it is simply green beans tossed in roasted almonds with butter. It's that simple.
Squeeze in Fresh Lemon Juice and garnish with fresh parsley for an added hint of flavor.
Green beans with slivered almonds
Green Beans Almondine is basically a fancy way of saying Green Beans with Almonds and Lemon.
One of the most healthy Side dishes recipe green beans almondine should definitely be on top of your list, if you are looking for some easy Thanksgiving Sides.
Just 10-minutes of Prep and simply sautéing onions and almonds with spices is all that you need to do to make this recipe.
One of the Best Savory Thanksgiving Side Dish
During the Holidays we heavy on sweets. And, the best way to keep eating healthy is to enjoy some delicious side dishes.
Ingredients to Make Almondine Green Beans
- French Green Beans
- Raw Almonds
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- All-Spice, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes
- Lemon Juice
- Freshly Chopped Parsley
How to make Green Beans Almondine
If you are wondering how to make Green beans almondine then you can refer to the recipe card below. But, I am gonna give you a short summary here.
- Step 1: Blanch Green Beans
First you need to blanch green beans. So salt a pot of boiling water and add french green beans. Allow the beans to get blanched for about 3-4 minutes or until lightly crispy and not completely cooked.
- Step 2: Transfer Green Beans to a bowl with Ice Cold water
Transfer blanched Green beans into a bowl with Ice Cold water. Allow it to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Step 3: Sauté Almonds in a skillet
Sauté Almond Slivers in a skillet with some butter. Cook until lightly golden brown.
- Step 4: Cook Shallots
Add shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft and transparent.
- Step 5: Add Spices
Add Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes, All Spice, Kosher Salt, and Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Toss well and cook for a minute.
- Step 6: Transfer Blanched Green Beans into the skillet
Transfer Blanched Green beans back into the skillet. Toss until the almond mixture is coated with Green beans.
- Step 7: Squeeze Lemon Juice and Garnish with Fresh Parsley
Squeeze in Some fresh lemon juice and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve right away.
- Use French Green Beans which are known as haricot Vert to make this recipe. They are slender, tastier, and tender than regular green beans.
- Salt the boiling water so that green beans retains their color and also gets well seasoned.
- Sauté sliced almonds in butter for a nutty and toasty taste.
- I prefer some spices like garlic powder, all spice, and a pinch of red pepper flakes just for that added bit of touch and flavor.
- Don't overcook the green beans when blanching them.
- Transfer blanched green beans to a bowl with ice cold water so that they retain their color.
Green Beans Almondine Recipe
- 1 pound french green beans use short and long Haricot Vert Green beans if possible
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup raw almond cut into thin slices
- ⅓ cup shallots
- Kosher salt as per taste
- Ground black pepper as per taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon all spice optional
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with Salt. Salting the water helps in retaining the bright green color of the green beans and also seasons the green beans inside and out.
- Add Green Beans and blanch them for about 5 to 6 minutes until they are slightly tender but not completely cooked. Make sure that green beans are undercooked because they'll continue to cook in the skillet.
- Transfer blanched green beans into a bowl with ice cold water. Allow green beans to stay in this bowl of water for a couple of minutes (say 2-3 minutes).
- Meanwhile melt 3-4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add almond slices and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until they look light golden brown.
- Add shallots and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic powder, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes (optional) and all spice (optional). Toss well and cook on medium-high for a minute.
- Use a pair of kitchen tongs or a large slotted spoon or Kitchen spider to transfer blanched green beans into the skillet. Toss lightly and combine the green beans with almond mixture. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve right away.