Greek Grilled Chicken is a 30-minute easy grilling recipe for summer that you are bound to fall in love with.
This Grilled Greek Chicken recipe is perfect for Father's Day or a Sultry Summer night.
If you are looking for an easy grilled chicken recipe then this is the one that you should go with. Pair this with any of the following Summer BBQ Sides.
Greek Chicken Marinade
The Greek chicken marinade is super flavorful.
It is basically a combination of thick Greek yogurt, olive oil, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and ground black pepper, and of course some lemon juice.
Just your regular pantry ingredients. Nothing that you don't have at home, for sure!!
Easiest Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe
This Greek grilled chicken was actually so good. I loved every bit of this amazing grilled chicken breast.
The chicken had a crispy charred mark on the outside and was super juicy on the inside.
The Greek chicken marinade is creamy, zesty, and so flavorful.
You should definitely try this recipe.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
- Chicken breasts - You can replace chicken breasts with chicken thighs.
- Greek Yogurt - If you just can't find plain Greek yogurt you can replace it with sour cream.
- Extra virgin olive oil - Oil will help the spices stick to the chicken.
- Dried Oregano - Oregano works so well for this recipe.
- Red pepper flakes - Just to add in a little heat.
- Salt and black pepper - make sure you adjust as per taste.
- Lemon juice - Squeeze some fresh lemon juice for a zesty freshness.
How to make Greek Grilled Chicken
Step 1: Make the Greek Chicken Marinade
In a small bowl combine plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
Step 2: Marinate Chicken
Place chicken in a large ziplock bag. Pour the marinade and zip the bag. Shake vigorously until the chicken is evenly coated.
Step 3: Grill
Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan. Spray nonstick cooking spray on grill grates. Grill each side for at least 5 minutes on medium heat.
Step 4: Garnish and Serve
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve right away.
How do I know that my Chicken is done?
Make sure you check your chicken for doneness before you serve. To know that your chicken is done, just push in an instant-read thermometer in your chicken. If it reads somewhere between 160°F to 165°F then your chicken is perfectly cooked.
When to Flip Chicken?
When you are grilling chicken, do not flip it often just to check if it is done. Wait! Be patient. Allow the chicken to get grilled for 5-minutes on one side.
Then flip over and grill the other side for another 5-6 minutes. Do not flip midway. Wait and check only after 4-5 minutes.
Key Tips to Keep in Mind
- The Greek Chicken Marinade will be sour but creamy.
- Please do not use any other flavored yogurt. Just use plain greek yogurt.
- Do not flip your chicken again and again. Let one side get cooked/grilled and only then flip over.
- If you are worried that your chicken will become dry then you can baste your chicken with the sauce.
- Don't forget to allow your chicken to sit after marination for 30-minutes. You can also marinate chicken for 2-hours (recommended).
Other Variations and Substitutions
- Dried Parsley - Besides the spices, you can also add some dried dill to make it taste even better.
- Dried Dill - Dill leaves are so fragrant. Even dried dill tastes so good.
- Rosemary- You can use fresh or dried rosemary while making the marinade.
- Paprika - If you prefer more heat then feel free to add some smoked paprika into the marinade.
Do you know that you can actually Make this Greek Grilled chicken ahead of time. Yup! It is possible.
Just coat your chicken with the marinade. And, then freeze your chicken for 1-month. When you are ready to use just thaw it on the countertop for few hours and then grill.
What Do I Serve this with?
You can serve this with the following:
- Classic Potato Salad
- Parmesan Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer
- Spicy Hot Creamed Corn
- Southern Fried Corn
- Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- Mexican Corn Salad Recipe with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Onion Cucumber Tomato Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
- Healthy Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime Dressing
- Grilled Corn Mango Salsa
Other recipes that you can make
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Marinade in Sheet Pan
- Chipotle Grilled Chicken Pineapple Tacos
- Grilled Honey Lemon Basil Garlic Chicken
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 1½ lbs Chicken Breasts Boneless, Skinless
- 1 tablespoon Thick Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- chopped Parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for Greek Marinade. Stir well to combine. Make sure it is smooth and lump free.
- Place Chicken Breasts in a Large Ziplock Bag. Pour the Marinade. Zip the bag and shake it vigourosuly until the chicken gets evenly coated. Allow the Chicken to sit in the marinade for 30 minutes or 2 hours (if possible)
- Preheat Outdoor Grill or a Grill Pan over medium high heat. Spray the grill grates with non-stick cooking spray (if desired). Place Chicken on the Grill. Cook Chicken Breasts for 5-minutes per side. (Donot flip midway, flip only after 5-6 minutes). Cook the other side as well. Check the temperature of Chicken with an Instant read thermometer. If it reads 165°F, its cooked.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.
- Make sure that you check the internal temperature of the Chicken. It should read between 160 - 165°F.
- You can also Bake (Grill) Chicken at 400°F for 18-22 minutes.
- You can serve it with Tzatziki Sauce.
- You can substitute Greek Yogurt with Sour Cream or Crema Mexicana
- You can marinate the Chicken and refrigerate or freeze it for 1 week or 1 month. There would be no problems because there is lemon juice in the marinade which will kill any bacterial growth.
- If you're dairy-free, use Dairy Free Yogurt.
- You can try this recipe with Chicken Thighs. However, I haven't tried it so I cannot comment on it.
Ask Me Anything