Grilled Honey Lemon Basil Garlic Chicken - A perfect Summer Chicken Recipe where you marinate the chicken with honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Then you grill the chicken with garlic and butter until they get nice golden brown grill marks. Finally, it is served with some sweet basil leaves and Italian seasoning sprinkled on top. This recipe goes well with homemade Garlic Butter Naan or Fried Rice.
Grilled Honey Lemon Basil Garlic Chicken
Ever wondered if you could make a recipe that has got all the right flavors in it? Well, this is that kind of recipe.
Since it's summers so I am anyway thinking of making some grilled chicken recipes and then just while scrolling through my Pinterest feed I come across a recipe which is kind of like this. But, you know how you see something and you tell yourself - I can do it better. So, I did.
I was really inspired by her video. I thought, why not make that for myself?
And, here I am.
But, I like to give things my own twist. That's what makes my tastebuds tickle!
So, for this recipe, I decided to change the marination a little. I decided to add some turmeric, some cayenne pepper, and some black pepper. You know how a little change of seasoning can make a whole lot of difference. Well, turns out I was right.
Finally while grilling my chicken, I decided to add some minced garlic along with butter. Have you ever tried anything with just garlic and butter? It's delicious. Isn't it?
Well, today, I was gonna grill my chicken with that deliciousness smeared on the pan.
The idea behind adding a little pinch of turmeric and cayenne pepper while marinating the chicken was to bring in that gorgeous golden color to my chicken and also add some spice. Don't judge me. If you think cayenne is gonna make it too damn spicy, then either skip it or use some sweet paprika instead.
My Golden Tips to make the best Grilled Honey Lemon Garlic Basil Chicken?
I guess by now you already know how this is made right? Well, I am not gonna bore you by telling you the recipe all over again. But, here are some pointers that you gotta keep in mind.
- For the marination try to keep it light. Not many spices. Though I asked you to add cayenne pepper that's just for that wee bit of spice. I don't want it to be so hot that you can't eat it. In case you are apprehensive about running into that kind of situation, just skip it.
- While grilling the chicken keep an eye on your chicken. Your flame must be on medium. Flip it over and check so that the golden brown grill marks are not turning into black.
- Flip over and cook the other side for another 6-7 minutes until completely cooked through. Baste the chicken with some of your unused marinades.
Grilled Honey Lemon Basil Garlic Chicken
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1½ Tablespoon Lemon zest zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 handful Basil Leaves
- 10 Pieces Boneless Chicken Thighs
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder or as per taste
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or as per taste
- ½ Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- ½ Teaspoon black pepper or as per taste
- 10-12 minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 pinch Italian Seasoning (Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary)
Preparing the Sauce
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey. Keep some aside for later.
Marinating the Chicken
- First, wash your chicken pieces and marinate it with turmeric powder, black pepper powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Now add them - one by one - in the bowl with sauce. Coat it with a spoon. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let it rest for 30-minutes in the fridge.
- In a grill pan melt some butter. Add minced garlic cloves on them and stir well. Place the chicken pieces - one at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan. Finish with one batch then move on to the next.Grill chicken pieces on medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Then flip it over and grill the other side for another 6-7 minutes. Baste the chicken with leftover marinade.
- Serve the chicken with some fresh basil and Italian seasoning sprinkled on top.