Cowboy Caviar recipe or Texas Caviar is something that I am a huge fan off. It's something that goes exceptionally well in picnics, potlucks, tailgate parties, summer BBQs. And, that's not it... This makes a perfect meal prep for weekdays.
- What is Cowboy Caviar?
- Why is it called Cowboy Caviar?
- How to Make Cowboy Caviar?
- Can I make Cowboy Caviar ahead of time?
- How long does Cowboy Caviar lasts?
- Can you freeze Cowboy Caviar?
- Can I use dry beans to make Cowboy Caviar?
- More Sides you'll love
- Drinks to Pair this with
- Ultimate Cowboy Caviar Recipe
What is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy Caviar is an excellent side dish originating from Texas. In simple words it's a cold dessert with lots of colorful veggies and a mild vinaigrette dressing.
Why is it called Cowboy Caviar?
I don't wish to go into the debate. I'll share what I know. So, this dish originated way back in the 1940s in the state of Texas in the form of a dip. Generally it's served with tortilla chips.
Interesting the term caviar is a joke because its a poor man's version of the authentic caviar which is actually very expensive.
Some of my favorite Salads
Here are the ingredients that you need to make pioneer woman's cowboy caviar.
- roma tomatoes - i prefer to remove the seeds and the wet pulp. I like to use the flesh.
- red onions - crunchy red onions to add that zinginess to the salad.
- canned black olives - It's seriously the best way to add a ton of flavor.
- green bell peppers - you can use red bell pepper or orange or any color that you like.
- frozen sweet corn - make sure you thaw it out before using.
- avocados - choose a one thats firm but ripe.
- black beans - go for canned cuban black beans. They are packed with flavors.
- black eyed peas - one of the prime pillars of this recipe for cowboy caviar.
- lime juice
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- kosher salt
How to Make Cowboy Caviar?
STEP 1: Combine Veggies in a bowl - Combine veggies like tomatoes, corn, olives, bell peppers, red onions, avocados, along with black eyed peas, and black beans in a bowl.
STEP 2: Make and Pour the dressing - Combine honey, lime juice, ground cumin, chili powder, and kosher salt in a bowl. Pour it over the veggies. Pour in some olive oil.
STEP 3: Whisk Well until combined - Whisk until fully combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate for few hours and serve cold.
Can I make Cowboy Caviar ahead of time?
To make this cowboy caviar recipe ahead of time, just make sure you add avocados when you are ready to serve. And, like all salads that you make ahead of time, pour the dressing just when you are ready to serve.
How long does Cowboy Caviar lasts?
Well if you are not like me (who eats it up in one sitting) then this cowboy caviar can last in the fridge for 4-5 days. It will be just as tasty as the first day, except for the fact that the veggies will leave out some water but apart from that the veggies will be crunchy, crispy, and extremely sturdy.
Can you freeze Cowboy Caviar?
When you want to freeze cowboy caviar, transfer it to an airtight container. You can freeze cowboy caviar for up to 3 months. But, make sure you thaw it in the fridge for 12 hours or overnight before serving.
Well, there has been a lot of debate going on lately, particularly on TikTok where some say its "a complicate Pico de gallo". While others say "it's a corn salsa".
Can I use dry beans to make Cowboy Caviar?
Dry beans needs to be cooked separately for you to add them in this recipe for Cowboy Caviar. Here is a detailed article on how to soak and cook dry beans from scratch.
More Sides you'll love
Drinks to Pair this with
Ultimate Cowboy Caviar Recipe
for cowboy caviar
- 15 oz Black Beans canned (I prefer cuban black beans)
- 15.5 oz Black Eyed Peas
- 4 medium roma tomatoes diced (seeds removed)
- 15 oz black olives canned
- ½ cup red onions diced
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn i prefer to thaw it out
- 1 medium avocado pit removed, peeled, chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro fresh chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Make the Salad: Combine the ingredients for cowboy caviar in a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the ingredients for dressing in a separate medium-sized bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the cowboy caviar. Stir well to combine.
- Store in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips.