Easy and So refreshing Traditional Greek Salad is a healthy and scrumptious summer salad recipe. Made with just 7-ingredients, this is such a quick and easy salad recipe!
Easy and Super Delicious Greek Salad with mega chunks of Sheep's Milk Feta Cheese and large chunks of fresh veggies - Red Onions, Cucumbers, juicy ripen Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers and Kalamata Olives is a wonderful and delicious salad recipe.
Simple yet full of flavors!
Also the dressing is just made of 3-ingredients, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar and Dried Oregano.
There is no much tossing required, no much cutting and chopping required and no lot of ingredients required for the dressing as well. Authentic Greek Salad is actually a really simple salad but huge on flavors.
Last May I had an opportunity to visit beautiful Santorini and it was beautiful beyond words. And one this that stood out to me most in this strikingly beautiful white and blue landscape was the simplicity of the people.
Living in one of these gorgeous homes and with the best couple on earth, I realized that the thing that keeps us happy the most is the simple and rustic food and lifestyle.
In fact in all of Mediterranean, One thing I have noticed is that Greek food is the only one which is super simple and yet so delicious. When you go further south, its simple in its own ways but still Greek cuisine boasts of simplicity and fresh produce.
- What is traditional Greek Salad made of?
- What defines a Greek Salad?
- What is the difference between a Greek Salad and Mediterranean Salad?
- Ingredients needed to make Traditional Greek Salad
- How to make an Authentic Greek Salad
- What to serve Greek Salad with?
- Top Tips to make the Best and most Authentic Greek Salad
- More Easy Summer Salad Recipes
- How to make Authentic Greek Salad (Horiatiki/ Xoriatiki
What is traditional Greek Salad made of?
Horiatiki, or traditional Greek Salad is made of simple fresh seasonal produce like Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Red Onions, Cucumbers, Olives and blocks of Feta Cheese. There is no salad base or lettuce added to this authentic Greek Salad.
What defines a Greek Salad?
A classic Greek Salad consists of large chunks of veggies, typically Tomatoes, Onions, Cucumbers, Olives and Red Onions.
Also big chunks of Feta Cheese is commonly added to the salad.
This simple combination is so delicious and refreshing in itself! Also with the feta added its typically served as a perfect lunch as well as dinner!
- No lettuce - This is the major hallmark of a traditional Greek Salad. Unlike all other salad this one consists just of veggies and large chunks of Feta Cheese
- Chunky Veggies - this is a classic trademark of Greek salad. You will find large chunky veggies in your salad
- Big Chunks of Sheep's Milk Feta Cheese - Feta Cheese in the pride of Greece and it should be! This traditional Greek salad features large chunks of Tangy Feta Cheese which you gotta love!
- Kalamata Olives - with the pits!!
- Green Bell Peppers - yes! unlike other salads where red and orange bell peppers are a classic, here Green Bell Peppers are used in every dish.
- Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar & Oregano - the only three ingredients which is used to make a super simple yet flavorful packed Greek salad dressing.
What is the difference between a Greek Salad and Mediterranean Salad?
Honestly there isn't much difference between a Mediterranean Salad and Greek Salad because Greece lies in the Mediterranean region and it only makes sense that they use the same produce to make a salad.
Although similar, but they are not identical. Greek Salad doesn't contain lettuce while Mediterranean does.
Also traditionally Kalamata Olives are used to make Greek Salad while in a Mediterranean Salad both Green and Black Olives are used.
Also try this Mediterranean Shrimp Pasta and this Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Chickpeas or this extra flavorful, delicious and healthy Low Carb Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
Ingredients needed to make Traditional Greek Salad
- Cucumbers - Persian or English Cucumbers. A common ingredient in all Greek salads, cut into slices
- Red Onions - adds a nice punch to this Greek Salad, cut into thin slices
- Tomatoes - large or baby, you can use any tomatoes you have. Make sure they are ripe and juicy!
- Kalamata Olives - with the pits, can replace with black olives as well
- Green Bell Peppers - please use Green Bell Peppers. its got a sharp taste which is so refreshing. Although, you can replace with sweet red pepper if you have to.
- Large chunks of Feta Cheese - use good quality Sheep's Milk Feta Cheese cut into large chunks. If you cannot find block of Feta Cheese, you can use crumbled Feta Cheese as well.
Greek Salad Dressing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - try to use a really good quality Olive Oil as all the flavors of this salad lies in the best quality of Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar - this adds a nice sharp taste to the salad
- Dried Oregano - use Greek Dried Oregano for a nice, refreshing after taste of this classic Greek Salad
- Sea Salt - use sea salt only a pinch because Feta Cheese and Olives are any way a bit salty.
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
How to make an Authentic Greek Salad
Classic Greek Salad is such a simple and easy recipe which I love to make for my Summer BBQ Sides. It tastes especially good with Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe or Balsamic Grilled Chicken or Beef Shish Kebab or Grilled BBQ Shrimp Kabobs
Combine the ingredients:
Combine chopped veggies in a bowl. Do not toss them much
Pour the 3-ingredient Greek Salad dressing
Just pour the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar over the salad. Sprinkle dried Oregano and sea salt and toss lightly to combine
Top with a mega chunk of Feta
Top with a big chunk of Feta cheese cut into triangle or rectangle. Drizzle some Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar over it as well. Sprinkle some salt and dried oregano and serve!
What to serve Greek Salad with?
Talking like a true Greek, you can serve this Greek Salad anytime of the day and it makes for a meal in itself.
But I love to serve it with these tasty Greek and Mediterranean dishes!
- Greek Grilled Chicken
- Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- Easy Sheet Pan Harissa Chicken
- Mediterranean Saffron Rice
- Sesame Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Mediterranean Shrimp Pasta
- Beef Shish Kebab
- Lemon Butter Shrimp and Rice
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Also it tastes great with a big loaf of crusty bread along with some Hummus
Refrigerate: You can store leftover Greek salad in an airtight container int he refrigerator. This stays fresh in the refrigerator for upto a week.
Freeze: Do not freeze this salad as Feta Cheese really loses the creamy texture upon thawing.
Top Tips to make the Best and most Authentic Greek Salad
- Use juicy and ripe Tomatoes, cut up into wedges. If you;re using cherry tomatoes, slice them before use
- Use Green Bell Peppers as its got a sharp taste
- Use whole Kalamata olives
- Add Sea Salt as per taste as Feta Cheese and Olives are already salty
More Easy Summer Salad Recipes
- Broccoli Corn Salad
- Panzanella Salad (Tuscan Summer Salad)
- Taco Salad
- Blueberry Spinach Salad
- Keto Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Shrimp Salad
- Shrimp & Avocado Salad
- Strawberry Chicken Salad
- Watermelon, Cucumber & Feta Cheese Salad
- Cucumber Red Onion Avocado Salad
- Traditional Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Salad
How to make Authentic Greek Salad (Horiatiki/ Xoriatiki
- 4 cups Tomatoes medium sized or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium sized Cucumbers Persian or English, sliced
- 1 medium sized Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper cored and sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata Olives without pitted, can replace with Black & Green Olives
- 5 oz Feta Cheese sliced into thick cubes
Greek Salad Dressing
- 5 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Sea Salt
- Combine all the chopped veggies in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar on top. Sprinkle Salt and Dried Oregano on top and toss lightly to combine.
- Top with chunks of Feta Cheese and season it with Olive Oil, Salt and a pinch of Oregano.