Popcorn Shrimp is one of our favorite appetizers and snacks recipes. Serve it with your favorite dip and it's going to win all hearts. Be it for a party at home or just a fun weekend with your family, these Popcorn Shrimps are surely going to be perfect for the occasion.
Crispy Popcorn Shrimp in the Air fryer is just the best. The Popcorn shrimps crisps up in the air fryer like a dream.
Be it the holidays or Summers, every day is a perfect day to bond over these crispy Popcorn Shrimps.
Perfectly Crispy Popcorn Shrimps
I make a big batch of these Popcorn Shrimps and take them to my friend's place for parties. Ever since I first made them, my friends always ask me to make these in huge batches!
And of course, making a huge batch of Popcorn Shrimp in the Air Fryer is super easy. You barely need oil to cook the Shrimps and they get ready so quickly.
I think it just doesn't make sense to deep fry Popcorn Shrimp. Air fryer Popcorn Shrimps are definitely crispier and of course, it's definitely healthy!
Summers are the perfect time to use your air fryer. An air fryer is not only used for frying but is an essential tool that will make your life in the kitchen so much easier and better!
I love to use my Air fryer to make a variety of shrimp recipes. Especially Summer days are fun when you enjoy some delicious Seafood! Right! Have you tried my Crispy Honey Sesame Shrimp in Air Fryer or Air Fryer Firecracker Shrimp or Coconut Shrimps in Air fryer with Pineapple Chili Sauce or Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa (just 10-minutes)
Let's talk Taste
Of course! I know you would love to know how this tastes before you think about making this! Right! Well, these are just as they sound. Extra crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. What I love the most about these Popcorn Shrimp in the air fryer is the level of crispiness. It's definitely crispier than Oven Baked Popcorn Shrimp or Deep Fried Popcorn Shrimp. The coating of spices does justice to the flavor of shrimp. That hint of Cayenne Pepper along with Garlic and Onion Powder brings a brilliant depth of flavors and brilliant taste to these Popcorn Shrimp.
What is Popcorn Shrimp?
Shrimps that are coated with flour, egg, seasoning, and Panko breadcrumbs and are deep-fried until crispy is Popcorn Shrimps. These are the perfect bite-sized appetizers for the crowd. Generally, small Shrimps are used to make Popcorn shrimps so they make perfect bite-sized appetizers. Also, try my Honey Lemon Popcorn Chicken or Mashed Potato Balls or Jalapeno Mac and Cheese Balls or Shrimp Cocktail or Coconut Shrimp fries. These make for the perfect bite-sized appetizers for parties
Ingredients needed to make Popcorn Shrimp
These are the ingredients required to make Popcorn Shrimp.
- Shrimp - Deveined and Peeled. If using Frozen shrimp, thaw before use.
- Eggs - To dip the Shrimp
- Flour - I have used All pourpose flour for the breading
- Cayenne Pepper - Just a dash of heat makes this taste so good
- Garlic & Onion Powder - For flavors in the Shrimp
- Salt & Pepper - To season the breading
- Panko - Panko Breadcrumbs is required for the coating. This is what makes the Popcorn Shrimp so crispy on the outside.
- Olive Oil - To drizzle over the Shrimps before Air Frying.
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, make sure you watch the video on how to make Popcorn Shrimp for a quick visual.
Instructions on How to make Popcorn Shrimps in Air Fryer
STEP 1: Pat dry the Shrimp
- Devein and Peel the Shrimp
- Pat dry the Shrimp using a Paper towel. If you have frozen shrimp, then its best to thaw them and pat dry them before use.
STEP 2: Make Flour Mixture
- Combine Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper with Flour.
STEP 3: Coat the Shrimp
- Make a breading station on your table. In one bowl, keep the beaten egg, in another bowl, keep the flour mixture and in the next place spread the Panko Breadcrumbs.
- Now, start by coating the shrimp with Egg mixture first, the flour mixture second and finally with the Panko Breadcrumbs
- Repeat until you have finished coating all the shrimp.
STEP 4: Air Fry Popcorn Shrimp
- Place the Popcorn Shrimp in the Air fryer
- Drizzle Olive Oil over them
- Air fry @200C or 400F for 14 minutes.
- Once they get crispy, serve with your favoruite dip.
HINT - Don't feel tempted to throw all the battered shrimps in the air fryer at once. You need to air fry shrimps in batches for even browning of the shrimps and so that they remain juicy on the inside. Do not add more than 10 Shrimps in the Air Fryer at once.
Oven-Baked - You can bake these Popcorn shrimps in the oven. Lay them spaced out in a sheet pan. Drizzle Olive Oil over them. Bake @200C or 400F for 20 minutes.
Deep-Fried - Heat Oil in a wok or a Pressure Fryer and fry the Battered Shrimps until crispy.
Popcorn shrimps should be stored in an air0tight container. If properly stored, these will stay good for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Donot overcrowd the air fryer basket with shrimps. Cook the Shrimps in batches
- Pat dry the shrimp before use
- Its advisable to use the small sized shrimps for this recipe
What's good with Popcorn Shrimp?
These make the perfect appetizer or snacks. However, if you want to serve it for dinner, you can serve these with-
Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Cauliflower for low carb option. Serve it with a healthy salad or Pasta salad or over a bed of creamy Pasta or just along with some grilled veggies for a perfect summer meal!
Other Air Fryer Recipes you will love
- Keto Chinese Lemon Chicken in Air Fryer (Crispy - without Breading!)
- Extra Crispy Cajun Dry Rub Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Tandoori Chicken Wings (in Air Fryer & in Oven)
- BBQ Pineapple Chicken Kabobs - Oven / Air Fryer / Grill
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then share a review by commenting below and rate this recipe. Also, share a snap on Instagram and tag me with #recipemagik so that I can see your wonderful creation.
Extra Crispy Popcorn Shrimp in Air Fryer
- 1 lbs Shrimp Peeled and Deveined
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- 2 large Eggs beated
- 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil or Cooking Spray
- Peel and devein the Shrimps. Pat dry the Shrimps using a Paper Towel.
- In a bowl combine All-Purpose flour with Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper. Toss to combine everything.
- Set up a breading station on your counter. In one bowl, keep the beaten egg, in another bowl, keep the flour mixture, and in a separate place, spread the Panko Breadcrumbs. Dip the Shrimps first in the egg mixture, then coat with the flour mixture, and finally coat with the Panko Breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess and place them in the air fryer basket. Drizzle Olive Oil over them and air fry @200C or 400F for 14 minutes.
- After the Popcorn shrimps get crispy, get them out of the air fryer and serve immediately with your favorite dip.