Shrimp Cocktail Recipe - Jumbo Shrimps are roasted in the oven at 400F for 6-7 minutes after tossing it in salt, pepper lemon juice, and olive oil.
I know you've asked this question again and again, Can Shrimp Cocktail be cooked? Traditionally, Shrimp Cocktail involves poaching shrimp in court-bouillon, draining the liquid, freezing the shrimp, and then serving it with cocktail sauce. I have decided to roast my shrimps instead of poaching them. It tastes so much better this way!
Shrimp Cocktail is an appetizer that is popular all year round. It's one of the MOST popular Appetizers one can ever think of. Cold Shrimps with spicy, tangy cocktail sauce tastes soo good.
After a bit of research, I found out that in the early 20th century, it was actually oysters that were used to make such cocktails. However, these days shrimps are a popular choice.
This steakhouse appetizer gets ready in a jiffy. And, there is every reason to fall in love with it. When I host a party, I make sure I have a Shrimp cocktail on my menu. Trust me, it doesn't take 5-minutes for the dish to become empty. I always keep more shrimp in the refrigerator and refill the dish once it gets empty.
🍴 Ingredients needed to make Shrimp Cocktail
These are the ingredients that you'll need to make Shrimp Cocktail.
- Jumbo Shrimps - I like to peel and devein my shrimps. I generally keep the tails on because apparently they "look good".
- Olive Oil - Always use good quality olive oil.
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Lemon Juice - Just to bring that zesty freshness.
Ingredients for Cocktail Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Prepared Horseradish
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, check out the video for a visual.
Here is how to make a Roasted shrimp cocktail with step-by-step images.
Step 1: Roast Shrimps
Peel and devein shrimps. Place shrimps on a sheet pan. Pat dry using a paper towel. Season with Kosher Salt and Freshly ground black pepper. Squeeze some lemon juice. Pour some olive oil so that the spices stick to the shrimps. Roast in a preheated oven at 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until shrimps are pink and firm.
Step 2: Make Cocktail Sauce
In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine, Ketchup, Hot Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Prepared horseradish, and Freshly squeezed lemon juice. Give it a good mix and refrigerate it.
Step 3: Refrigerate and then serve
Once shrimps are cooked, allow them to cool down completely. Transfer them to the refrigerator and serve with cocktail sauce. This tastes best when it is served cold.
Here are some quick variations for the Shrimp cocktail.
- Poached Shrimp Cocktail - Instead of roasting shrimps in the oven, you can take a large pot with water. Add onions, garlic, halved lemon, bay leaf, peppercorns, and then allow it to boil. Add shrimps and cook for just 4-minutes. After 4-minutes turn off the heat and drain shrimps. Cool them down and serve with cocktail sauce.
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail - For Mexican Shrimp Cocktail the shrimp is cooked and then chopped. The Cocktail sauce uses few veggies such as diced cherry tomatoes, diced English Cucumber, Diced Red Onions, Diced Celery, and Diced Jalapeños. Along with that there is hot sauce, chopped cilantro and of course Kosher Salt.
- Clam Juice - Instead of poaching shrimp in water you can poach them in clam juiceFor roasted Shrimp cocktail you can use clam juice to make cocktail sauce.
- Avocados: While Serving your shrimp cocktail you can add some chopped Avocados in your cocktail sauce.
This Shrimp Cocktail is a make-ahead recipe. You can make it ahead of time, store it in your refrigerator for a day or two, and then serve it cold to your guests.
Why You Shouldn't Buy Pre-made Shrimp Cocktail
I know, Shrimp cocktail is easily available in the market. Why would you want to make it at home?
Well, if you see closely, the pre-made shrimp cocktail is refrigerated for a long time and hence the shrimps become rubbery. But, when you make a fresh shrimp cocktail at home, the taste is scrumptious leaving you wanting for more.
What do I Serve with Shrimp Cocktail?
Traditionally it is served with crackers. But, I like to serve my Shrimp Cocktail with some crusty bread and a big bowl of salad.
Are Shrimp Cocktails healthy?
Technically Shrimp cocktail is healthy for you because one large shrimp has just 7 calories with an almost negligible fat count. Moreover, with just 7-8 calories per shrimp, they are an excellent source of lean protein, keeping you full all day. However, too much shrimp can bump up your cholesterol rates.
Is Shrimp Cocktail Served Hot or Cold?
Generally, Shrimp Cocktail is served cold. But, if you are serving it for the winter months you can grill your shrimps and serve them warm. Or you can simply use this recipe for a roasted shrimp cocktail and serve it to your guests.
🍤 More Appetizers
- Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Bites - Easy Chicken Appetizer
- Heart Shaped Bruschetta - Heart Shaped Valentine's Day Appetizer
- Christmas Tree Pull Apart Appetizer - Best Christmas Appetizer Recipe
- Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wraps
if you make this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, snap it and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how this turned out.
Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- 1½ pound jumbo shrimps peeled and deveined with tails on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F, peel and devein shrimp. Pat dry with a paper towel. Arrange it on a sheet pan. Toss them in olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Roast for 6-8 minutes until they are lightly firm and pink.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the ingredients for cocktail sauce. Give it a good mix and refrigerate it.Once shrimps are roasted, take them out and transfer them to a bowl with ice cubes. This will prevent them from cooking further. Once they have cooled down completely serve it with cold cocktail sauce.