Crispy Fried Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Balls are perfect bite-sized appetizers. These are crispy and crunchy on the outside and have a cheesy filling inside. These are the appetizer version of my comforting baked Mac and Cheese, but with the Jalapeños. And that makes this so so so delicious. These are great for a party appetizer or a quick lunch! These also make for a great Game Day Appetizer!
This Mac and Cheese Balls is the best way to use up the leftover Mac and Cheese. Talking of leftover recipes, have you tried my Mashed Potato Balls or my Baked Buttermilk Biscuit Wreath Dip or Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. These also make for a perfect appetizer for any party and are the best way to use up leftovers.
I recently hosted a Christmas Eve dinner at my place last weekend and had loads of leftovers. I have been making so many appetizers all week ling which I can store until New Year's Eve and serve to my guests. I like to use leftover food in a manner that has never been thought of. And reusing leftover Mac and Cheese to make Cripsy Balls seemed like the best possible way to use up the leftovers.
Ingredients used to make Crispy Fried Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Balls
- Mac and Cheese - I know you can buy Mac and Cheese from the store but for this one, I had some homemade Mac and Cheese leftovers which I had to use.
- Cornstarch - Yeah, I know, you must be thinking what? and Why? Well, Cornstarch is the magical ingredient that I'm using to make these Crispy Mac and Cheese Balls. This will give a beautiful crisp coating over these balls and they are going to taste amazing!
How to make Crispy Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Balls
So, to begin with first, we will have to cook the Macaroni until it gets Al Dente.
To make the Mac and Cheese, Start by melting butter in a Pan. As the butter melts, add 1 tablespoon of flour and stir until combined.
Now, gradually add milk and stir until combined and there are no lumps formed.
Add the chopped garlic and chopped Jalapeños to the sauce and cook over medium-low flame until it gets tenderized.
Finally, as the sauce thickens, add the precooked Elbow Macaroni and stir until combined.
Now, turn off the heat and add stir in the Cheese.
Allow the Mac and Cheese to cool down to room temperature.
As the Mac and Cheese will cool down, it will thicken and it will be so much easier to roll it into small balls.
Roll the Mac and Cheese into small balls.
Dust the Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Balls with Cornstarch. Coat the Balls evenly in Cornstarch.
Now, fry them over high heat in piping hot oil.
Oil should be piping hot and the heat should be at a high. If you cook these over a low flame, they might flatten out. So, fry them over high heat and in hot oil.
Once they turn golden brown on all the sides, take them out and serve!
How to make these Jalapeno Mac and Cheese Balls in the Air Fryer?
You can easily make these in the Air Fryer. Assemble the Mac and Cheese Balls and arrange them in the Air Fryer Pot after greasing it with some cooking spray. Preheat at 350F and cook for 12-15 minutes.
Can I Oven fry these Mac and Cheese Balls?
Of course, you can. Brush the Balls with Vegetable oil. Preheat the oven to 350F and arrange the balls in a baking dish. Allow them to get fried for 18-20 minutes. Flip after 5-10 minutes to ensure even cooking on all sides.
How to make this Ahead of Time?
You can make these Mac and Cheese Balls ahead of time. Store the uncooked Mac and Cheese Balls in a freezer-friendly bag and freeze them. You can freeze these balls for up to 3 months. Before serving, do not thaw, deep fry them directly and serve!
So, this is how you can make these adorable and delicious Crispy Fried Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Balls. I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Crispy Fried Jalapeño Mac and Cheese Balls
- 1 cup Elbow Macaroni cooked as per package instructions
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon AP Flour
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 2-3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 medium sized Jalapeno minced
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese White Cheddar or Mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Cornstarch to coat the balls
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil to deep fry the balls
- If you have store-bought Mac and Cheese or Leftover Mac and Cheese, skip this step. Cook Elbow Macaroni until it gets al dente. Melt Butter in a Pan. As the Butter melts, add the flour and stir until combined and the raw smell goes away. Now, gradually, add the milk and keep stirring over medium-low heat, so that there are no lumps formed. Add the chopped Garlic and Jalapenos and cook until they get tenderized. Finally, add the cooked Macaroni to the sauce. Stir until combined. Add the Salt & Pepper and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Allow it to cool down to room temperature. If you have precooked Mac and Cheese, heat it in a pan or in the oven with some finely chopped Jalapenos. Stir every few minutes and cook until the Jalapenos gets mixed with the Mac and Cheese. Allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Take 1 Teaspoon of the Mac and Cheese, and roll it into balls.
- Coat the Balls evenly with cornstarch
- Deep fry the Balls in hot oil until they get crispy on all sides. Serve hot.