Crispy Fried Mashed Potato Balls with Cheesy Centers is made without Panko Breadcrumbs, but are still crispy on the outside and incredibly cheesy on the inside. These Mashed Potato Balls makes for a perfect Bite-Sized Appetizer for Parties.
These have a cheesy center, the perfect sharpness of the Cheddar, and that comforting flavor of Mashed Potatoes! It combines two of our favorites - Mashed Potatoes and Fried Balls, basically, a winner in all sense! Everyone loves these Crispy Fried Mashed Potato Balls.
I love Mashed Potato. Have you tried my Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes? It's seriously so delicious, comforting, and creamy. Well, I had lots of Mashed Potato Leftovers from Christmas Dinner last weekend and had to use them obviously and of course, these crispy balls felt like the best alternative!
Also, since it's the holiday season right now, I have made some of the balls, coated them in cornstarch, and kept them in the freezer. I'm going to fry them on New Year's Eve and serve it to my family. We have a small New year's Eve get-together at our place every year. And I think this one of going to be just perfect for the evening!
If you're looking for an easy appetizer, I think there is nothing easier than these Crispy Fried Mashed Potato Balls with Cheesy Centers. Also, I haven't even used Eggs or Panko Breadcrumbs to coat these balls. All I have used is Cornstarch. Did you know that using Cornstarch is the perfect alternative to using Panko Breadcrumbs or Eggs? Trust me, you can use Cornstarch as a perfect coating for your fritters or balls, and it's going to turn out absolutely crispy!
How to make Crispy Fried Mashed Potato Balls?
- So, since I am using leftover Mashed Potatoes here, I am not going into the recipe of Mashed Potatoes. You can find the recipe of my Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potato Here. For a non-buttermilk recipe, just skip the ranch dressing and buttermilk and replace that with 1 cup of heavy cream!
- Next to it add the Mayonnaise, Chopped Spring Onions, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, and freshly cracked Black Pepper.
- Combine everything together.
- Roll into small balls and coat them with Cornstarch.
- Freeze the Balls for 20 minutes or Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Deep fry the Mashed Potato Balls in piping hot vegetable oil until you have a crispy coating on the top.
What to serve Fried Mashed Potato Balls with?
You can serve this with any sauce you love or Mayo Mustard Sauce or Ketchup or Garlic Aioli or Lemon Tabasco Aioli.
Why should you freeze the Mashed Potato Balls before frying?
This might sound unusual to you. However, I cannot stress enough on the fact that if you freeze the balls first and then fry them it's going to turn out even crispy! Yeah! That's my secret to these Crispy Mashed Potato Balls. Freezing the Balls for just 20 minutes will dry them out of all the moisture and the balls are going to be absolutely crispy and crunchy!
If you do not freeze the Mashed Potato Balls before frying them out, there are high chances that they are going to flatten out while getting deep fried and that's something none of us want.
The main reason why this happens is the Cheese. Since we have used shredded cheese here, it melts very quickly and hence it tends to flatten out the balls making them almost like a fritter or a cake!
Another important tip is to use piping hot oil to fry the Balls. And you need to fry them over high heat. Frying them over high heat will make the coating crispy and keep the center cheesy and soft!
Can I make this Fried Mashed Potato Ball ahead of time?
This Fried Mashed Potato Ball can be made in advance. You can make the balls and freeze them. You do not even have to thaw them before frying. Just pop them in hot oil and fry all sides until crispy and golden brown.
I would recommend you to serve this immediately as these taste the best hot. Also, do not microwave it later to reheat it. That will flatten out the balls.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you are making this recipe, then. comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Crispy Fried Mashed Potato Balls with Cheesy Centers
- 2 cups Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Green Onions chopped, more for garnish
- ½ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon Freshly cracked Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil for frying
- To make the Mashed Potato Balls, combine Mashed Potatoes with Mayonnaise, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Chopped Green Onions, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, and Crushed Black Pepper. Combine everything with your spatula.
- Roll small balls and coat them in cornstarch. Freeze the Balls for 20 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Fry the Mashed Potato Balls in hot oil, until all the sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot with some chopped green onions and any sauce or aioli you love.