Creamy, Cozy and comforting this Potato Soup is one of the easiest for dinner recipes ever! 😋 😋 All you need is Yukon Gold Potatoes, Onions, Garlic and Heavy cream apart from Seasoning and Olive Oil to make this creamy and comforting bowl of Potato Soup. Loaded with the Creaminess of Potatoes and topped with lots of sharp cheddar cheese this is easily one of the best fall dinner recipes.
Looking for the perfect Easy & Quick Dinner recipe which is creamy, comforting cozy, and hearty then look no further because here is your favorite Potato Soup recipe. This Old-Fashion Creamy Potato Soup recipe is made using very minimal basic pantry ingredients which are easily found in all homes.
What makes my creamy potato soup so special is the hearty and comforting taste to it it's seriously so so so good that you would want to make yourself another batch after finishing a bowl full of this soup! Seriously guys it's that good! 😋
The beautiful fall season is here and the crisp and chilly nights are here to stay. And there's nothing more comforting and a hearty bowl of potato soup. It's one of those simple and easy recipes which you can easily make in your instant pot in a Dutch pot or even in the crockpot and it's going to be so perfect for dinner.
Finally October is here it's seriously my favorite time of the year and there's nothing more comforting than a cozy bowl of potato soup to warm yourself!
- 4-Ingredient Potato Soup
- 🥘 Ingredients
- 👩🍳 How to make Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
- 👩🍳 How to make Potato Soup in the Crock Pot?
- 👩🍳 How to make Potato soup in the Dutch pot
- 🌱 Is this Potato Soup Vegetarian?
- 🥓 Can I add Bacon to this Potato Soup?
- 🥔 What is the Best kind of Potato to be used for this Potato Soup?
- 📝 Can I make Potato Soup Without Heavy Cream?
- 🧊 How to Store Homemade Potato Soup?
- Creamy Potato Soup
- How to make Potato Soup in the Crock Pot?
- How to make Potato soup in the Dutch pot
4-Ingredient Potato Soup
I have made this potato soup using just for ingredients which are potatoes onions, garlic and a little heavy cream for final garnish.
However sky's the limit when you are actually making this potato soup you can add so many ingredients of your choice and make the soup as per your preference some of my favorite options include :
- CRISPY FRIED BACON: Top it off with crispy fried bacon for a delicious garnish!
- PARMESAN CHEESE: Stir in some freshly grated Parmesan cheese for an even better taste and texture
- SOUR CREAM : Top of the soup with some creamy sour cream for that perfect hardness and delicious flavor
- CHIVES OR GREEN ONION: Garnish with chopped green onions or chives or chopped parsley or any herb you desire.
- FRESH THYME: Add some fresh Thyme for a perfect herby taste. Remove Thyme and Bay Leaf after cooking the Soup.
- ANCHO CHILI POWDER : Just add 1/2 teaspoon of Ancho Chili Powder to bring in a wonderful taste to this soup. If you do not have this, replace with Smoked Paprika.
- CAJUN SEASONING: Add just 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning for a burst of taste
- Olive Oil
- Bay Leaf
- Russet Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Freshly chopped Parsley (for garnish)
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (for garnish)
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
👩🍳 How to make Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
STEP 1: Saute onion, garlic & Potatoes
- Heat Olive Oil in an Instant Pot or Dutch Pot or a skillet
- Add the Onion, Garlic, Bay Leaf and Potatoes
- Season them with salt and pepper
- Saute on high heat for 2-3 minutes
STEP 2: Cover Cook
- Pour Chicken Broth over the sauteed potatoes
- Stir to combine
- Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 10 min
- After it gets cooked, quick release the pressure and remove and discard the Bay Leaf.
STEP 3: Blend the Potatoes
- Use an immersion blender to blend the potatoes until smooth.
- If you want you can leave a chunk or two to make a Chunky Potato Soup
- Next, pour the Heavy Cream and stir to combine
- Check the salt and if its fine, ladle the soup into bowls
STEP 4: Garnish the Soup
- Garnish with shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Freshly chopped Parsley
- Serve immediately
👩🍳 How to make Potato Soup in the Crock Pot?
You can easily make this Potato Soup in the Crock pot. Saute everything for 2-3 minutes.
Dump in the crockpot and cover cook on low for eight hours or on high for four hours.
After the potatoes gets cooked in the slow cooker use an immersion blender to blend the potatoes until smooth if you want to chunky potato soup then you can leave some of the potato chunks as is.
👩🍳 How to make Potato soup in the Dutch pot
Heat olive oil in the Dutch pot and sauté onion and garlic along with the potatoes and saute until fragrant.
Then add the chicken broth and cava cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes soften and get cooked then use an immersion blender to blend the potatoes store in the heavy cream and syrup.
🌱 Is this Potato Soup Vegetarian?
YES! This Potato Soup is Vegetarian however it is not Vegan if you want to make it vegan then you need to skip heavy cream and use unsweetened coconut cream.
Besides Coconut Cream you can also use cashew cream to make an extra creamy Vegan Potato Soup. Top it off with Dairy-Free Cheese for a garnish.
🥓 Can I add Bacon to this Potato Soup?
Yes you can surely add bacon to this potato soup however it won't be a vegetarian so after adding Bacon.
However if you wanted to be an Old-Fashioned Potato Soup just like your grandma used to make then storing in some crispy fried Bacon over your Potato soup is gone going to be the perfect garnish it's going to make this soup extra delicious and delightful.
🥔 What is the Best kind of Potato to be used for this Potato Soup?
Yukon Gold potatoes will be your best choice for this potato soup these are waxy potatoes.
Potatoes that have thin skin, low moisture and high starch are your best bet for this potato soup.
📝 Can I make Potato Soup Without Heavy Cream?
YES! You can easily make Potato Soup without Heavy Cream. In place of heavy cream you can use evaporated milk and also use some sour cream of the hot tea thank you good this will give the soup creamy and hearty texture.
🧊 How to Store Homemade Potato Soup?
After you made your Potato Soup you need to cool it down to room temperature and then transferred to an air-tight covered container and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
However experts do not recommend freezing Potato soup. This is because upon freezing, Potato Soup becomes dry and doesn't freeze well so it's best that you can refrigerate it for a week or consume it immediately.
🥣 Other Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk (Vegan)
- Instant Pot Lentil soup recipe
- Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup with Spinach
- Healthy White Bean Enchilada Soup
- Potato Leek Soup (Without Heavy Cream or Creme Fraiche)
- Thai Curried Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
- Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons
- Red Bean Tex Mex Soup
- Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
- Traditional Brown Lentil Soup Recipe
Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- ½ medium sized Yellow Onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 small Bay Leaf optional
- 3 large Yukon Gold Potatoes diced into 1" cubes
- 2 cups Chicken Broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper or as per taste
- 1 cup Heavy Cream or Evaporated Milk and Sour Cream
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese optional
- freshly chopped Parsley optional
- Heat Olive Oil in the Instant Pot. As the oil shimmers, add the chopped Onions, Garlic, Chopped Potatoes and Bay Leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour Chicken Broth over it and stir to combine. Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes. After it gets cooked, quick release the pressure.
- Remove the Bay Leaf. Stir in heavy cream and serve hot. Garnish with freshly grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Chopped Parsley and serve. (You can also garnish with crispy fried bacon bits, freshly chopped green onions and chives.