Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup - a recipe that is bound to send happy vibes in your home. The cold winter weather needs nothing more than a bowl of warm and comforting soup. right? And, the Enchilada Sauce makes it taste so good. Have you tried my White Bean Enchilada Soup?
Talking about Soup, I am taken back to my Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup, my favorite Velvety Green Spinach Soup, the most popular soup of this blog - Red Bean Tex Mex Soup!
Coming back to this Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup. What a brilliant soup it is! The black beans along with veggies add that nutrition while the Enchilada sauce along with the spices brings a beautiful flavor to this comforting soup.
Ingredients You Need to Make this Soup:
- Veggies: Onions, Carrots, Scallions, Diced Tomatoes, Minced garlic.
- Black Beans: You can use canned Black Beans. I have used fresh Black Beans. Soaked it in water overnight, strained the water, rinsed them thoroughly, and then used it the next day.
- Spices: Smoked Paprika, Ground Cumin, Oregano, Thyme, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, and Pepper.
- Corn: I have used frozen corn. Taken it out in a bowl with some water. Allowed it to sit for about 30-minutes, drained it, and then used it in my recipe. You can use fresh Corn as well.
- Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth: I prefer low-sodium vegetable broth because it's a healthier choice. You can also add water if you want.
- Enchilada Sauce: You can easily find Enchilada sauce in the Stores. And, I just love the flavors of Enchilada sauce, especially in this recipe.
How to Make Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup Recipe?
- In this soup, I have used chopped onions, carrots, scallions, diced tomatoes, black beans, and some minced garlic. So, as you might have guessed, the first step is sauteing the veggies. So, in a pan, we heat some olive oil. As the Oil shimmers, we add chopped onions, carrots, scallions, and garlic. We'll saute the veggies until they become soft and fragrant.
- Now add diced tomatoes, black beans, and spices. I value the spices in my recipes. According to my, spices play a huge role in making or breaking a recipe. So, I have added them with a lot of care and a lot of thought. I have started with some smoked paprika and some ground cumin because Mexican recipes are just not Mexican enough without some heat right? And, I LOVE the combination of cumin and paprika. Besides that, I have added some dried and crushed oregano and some dried thyme. I just love the beautiful fragrance of thyme. Along with that just to spice it up a little bit more I have added some crushed red pepper flakes. Don't worry. It is not gonna be so hot that it becomes inedible. You are gonna love it for sure. Lastly, how can we forget our seasoning right? So, I finished it off with some salt and ground black pepper. Cook the Spices for about a minute.
- Now add some low sodium vegetable broth and stir well. Finally, let's bring in the star of the show - our good friend - Enchilada Sauce. (Applause!!!)
- Lastly, we are gonna add some corn. I have used frozen corn. You can use fresh corn as well. After adding corn, give all of that a quick stir.
- And, finally, cover cook for about 10-minutes until the veggies cook completely. So, there you go, that is how you make Black Bean Enchilada Soup.
Tips to make this Soup Effectively:
- Use the Spices Moderately: In this soup, you gotta use the spices moderately so that there is a beautiful balance of spices. Too many spices or too little spices can ruin the dish.
- Use Low Sodium Vegetable Broth: Low Sodium Vegetable broth helps it stay healthy. Moreover, low sodium salt makes it less salty.
- Make it Creamy & Cheesy: You can make it creamier by adding heavy cream or once the soup is done stir in some Mexican Cheese or Mild Cheddar Cheese. Of course, then it won't remain vegan anymore.
Other Soups you can Try:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating below.
Black Bean Enchilada Soup
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium-sized Onion finely chopped
- 1 Medium-sized Carrot finely chopped
- 2 Stalks Scallions chopped
- 5-7 cloves Minced garlic
- 2 Medium-sized Tomato diced
- 8 ounces Black Beans 1 cup (Soaked, Rinsed, and Drained)
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper flakes
- Salt adjust as per taste
- ½ Cup Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- ½ Cup Frozen or Fresh corn
- Freshly Chopped Cilantro and Lemon Juice for Garnish
- In a Dutch Oven heat some olive oil. As the oil shimmers add chopped onions, scallions, carrot, and minced garlic. Saute the veggies on medium-low heat stirring occasionally. Cook until the carrots tenderize.
- Now add diced tomatoes and black beans and stir well.
- Now add the spices. Start with smoked paprika, ground cumin, Dried Oregano, Dried Thyme, Ground Black Pepper, Red chili Flakes, and Salt. Stir to cook for 1-2 minutes
- Now add Low Sodium Vegetable Broth, Enchilada Sauce, and Corn. Stir well until combined. Cover cook and simmer on low heat for 15-minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as per your taste. Finally, Serve.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Serve hot.
- I am making this vegan so I have avoided adding cheese or heavy cream to it. However, if you want, you can add it in.
- If you are reheating leftover soup then it will be thick. So, add some water and adjust the consistency of the soup.
- Make sure you taste the soup before serving. Adjust the seasoning if desired.
Ask Me Anything