Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup is basically just dumping everything (chicken, spices, black beans, corn, kidney beans, red enchilada sauce, and good-quality chicken broth) in a slow cooker and cooking on low for 6 hours or until chicken tenderizes. My homemade Enchilada Sauce makes it taste so much better. Also try this amazing Red Bean Tex Mex Soup 🍲
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup a cozy, hearty, and comforting recipe bursting with Mexican flavors. Just dump everything in the slow cooker and cook for 5-6 hours on low. Finally, garnish with your favorite Mexican toppings
(tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, avocados, fresh cilantro) and serve right away!
Alternatively, you can also make vegetarian enchilada soup or beef enchilada soup or turkey enchilada soup. Also try: Healthy White Bean Enchilada Soup and Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
You can also make your Chicken Enchilada Soup in Instant Pot. But, I always prefer the slow cooker version because its way more comforting and cozy. Just like you'd want your fall soups to be.🍁 💚
- 🍲 Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 🍽️ Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 🥣 Chicken Enchilada Soup Ingredients
- 🥘 How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 🍴Variations and Substitutions
- How Do you Thicken Chicken Enchilada Soup
- What Should I Serve with Chicken Enchilada Soup
- More Soups you can try
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
🍲 Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken Enchiladas are good. In fact, they are a super-good. But, rolling up tortillas every single time is quite a task. If you are feeling like having something cozy, comforting, and hearty that complements this crisp fall weather or cold winter morning, then you should definitely be making this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup.
Seriously, it's the easiest recipe on planet earth!
Just dump and forget!
Still can't get enough of Enchiladas? Try:
- Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet Casserole - Low Carb / Keto
- Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Bites - Easy Chicken Appetizer
🍽️ Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
We have a strange love for Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup. But, why? Well, I like it for two reasons - well may be three!
Creamy, Cheesy, and Thick!
Thick: I could easily figure out the reason for its thickness. Basically, they use masa harina. It's a common corn flour that is easily available in the flour section of most grocery stores. It is the same flour that is used to make corn tortillas. That's the reason you get a thick soup and it also adds a touch of corn to the soup.
Cheesy: I guess they use processed cheese like Velveeta Cheese to get that cheesy texture in their soup. We can easily use that if we want. But, I personally prefer sharp cheddar cheese. And like I always say - don't use pre-shredded cheese. Shred it at your home. Pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt easily and freshly shredded cheese is way more amazing.
Creamy: Well, this is just a wild guess! Probably they add heavy cream to get that creamy texture in their soup. We could always use heavy cream if we want. But, I like that tartiness of Cream Cheese.
🥣 Chicken Enchilada Soup Ingredients
wondering what is chicken Enchilada soup made of? Here are the ingredients
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- can of Diced Tomatoes
- black beans
- kidney beans
- fresh minced garlic
- red enchilada sauce
- cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper
- red bell pepper
- good-quality low sodium chicken broth
- Cream Cheese
see the recipe card for quantities.
🥘 How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Step 1: Dump Everything in Slow Cooker
Add all ingredients except cream cheese in the slow cooker. Stir lightly. Close the lid and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
Step 2: Stir in Cream Cheese
Open the lid and stir in cream cheese. Shred chicken using two forks. Bring it back to the slow cooker. Close the lid and cook on low for an additional 30-minutes.
Step 3: Add toppings and serve
Add your favorite toppings - More Cheese, Tortilla Chips, Sour Cream, Avocados, Fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
The soup is good. In fact, it's super-good. But, it's the toppings that makes it worth it. I cannot imagine a hearty slow cooker chicken enchilada soup without some Tortilla strips. It's a must. Besides that, I love some sour cream, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges.
My Kids like to add some shredded cheddar cheese and avocados. Feel free to play around with toppings and improve its texture further.
Make sure the soup cools down completely. Transfer this to a freezer bag and keep it in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Thaw it out in the refrigerator overnight and reheat the soup in the oven for 10-minutes at 350 degrees F.
🍴Variations and Substitutions
Some people like my husband love spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup. Some want it creamy! Like ME. You can do the following replacement.
- Can of Diced Green Chilies - this would add the required heat in your soup.
- Can of hot and spicy Mexican style tomatoes - This would be an excellent addition to spruce up the heat quotient in your Enchilada Soup.
- Heavy Cream - Instead of Cream Cheese you can add Heavy Cream.
How Do you Thicken Chicken Enchilada Soup
The best way to thicken Chicken Enchilada Soup is to add some fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese. When the cheese melts the soup becomes thick.
Or else you can do the way they do in restaurants. You can add masa harina - which is nothing but corn flour. The same flour that is used to make corn tortillas. You can find it in any grocery store especially in the baking aisle under the brand named - Maseca.
Add it in the crockpot with other ingredients. And, That is how you thicken your chicken Enchilada Soup.
What Should I Serve with Chicken Enchilada Soup
You can serve your chicken Enchilada Soup with the following sides.
- Tacos - Flour tacos or Corn Tacos, whatever you like can be easily paired with Chicken Enchilada Soups. I personally like it with Blackened Shrimp Tacos or Baja Shrimp Tacos Recipe or Mexican Shredded Chicken Taco or Chicken Tinga 🌮
- Burrito - Breakfast burritos are my favorite. Serve your Chicken Enchilada Soup with Buffalo Cauliflower Burrito 🌯
- Quesadillas - Easy to make and so delicious. You can serve this with Egg White breakfast Quesadillas or Chili Cheese Quesadillas or Taco Bell Chicken Quesadillas
- Mexican Rice - One of the most comforting way to serve Chicken Enchilada Soup is to serve it with Spicy Mexican rice. For a healthier version try Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Cornbread - Buttermilk Cornbread or Blackberry Cornbread or Jalapeño cornbread pairs well with enchilada soup.
- Roasted Corn - Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elotes) can also make a great side with authentic Mexican Chicken Enchilada Soup.
More Soups you can try
- Instant Pot Lentil soup recipe
- Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup with Spinach
- Potato Leek Soup (Without Heavy Cream or Creme Fraiche)
- Thai Curried Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
- Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons
Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes can also use diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup Fresh or Frozen Sweet Corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion red or yellow (finely chopped) about 1/2 cup
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large red bell pepper cored, seeded and finely diced
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1¼ cup red enchilada sauce OR 10 Ounce Can (see notes for homemade enchilada sauce recipe)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- sour cream
- cheese any cheese that you like (shredded) i used sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
- avocados diced
- sliced lime
- Pour a can of diced tomatoes to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add Fresh or Frozen Sweet Corn, Red kidney beans, Black Beans, finely chopped onion, finely minced garlic, diced red bell pepper, boneless skinless chicken breasts, good-quality low sodium chicken broth, salt, freshly ground black pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, and red enchilada sauce. Stir well. Cover the lid and cook in your slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Once done, open the lid and stir in cream cheese. Shred chicken using two forks or cut them into chunks. Bring it back to the slow cooker. Close the lid and cook on low for an additional 30-minutes.
- Lastly, garnish with your favorite toppings - Tortilla Chips or sour cream or Shredded Cheddar Cheese or fresh chopped cilantro or diced avocados or lime wedges. And, enjoy!
Michelle Sharpe says
Wow! What a brilliant recipe. I wish I could give you more than 5 stars. The taste, the flavors, the texture everything was beyond delicious. It hit all the right spots and was an instant hit in the family. I am in love with this recipe. Pefect for busy moms.
Thanks Michelle means a lot to me.