Creamy and Velvety Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk is a Vegan, Gluten-Free and healthy fall soup recipe for dinner. This cosy and easy soup can be made in just 10 minutes in the Instant Pot. Also, stovetop and Crockpot instructions are included below. This Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk and Apples is by far the Best Butternut Squash Soup ever, bursting with sweet flavors of Apple & Butternut Squash and Fall Spices.
Hey friends. With the weather getting cooler with every passing day, its finally starting to feel a lot like Fall around here. It's been rainy for a couple of days now and the grey days gets me really lazy.
And today morning, when I woke up, it was pouring heavily. All I wanted was to go back to my bed and I actually woke up late in the day. 😂 However, when I woke up, I realsied all I need is a cosy bowl of Butternut Squash Soup to get me in my full on fall hygge mode today. And I did exactly that.
Put on my Instant Pot and quickly dumped the veggies and bam within minutes this soup was ready.
The best part about my favorite Butternut Squash Soup - The aroma...! I think I'll just leave you to that...!
- 🥘 Ingredients Needed to make The Best Butternut Squash Soup
- 💨 Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 🥘Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 🍳 Butternut Squash Soup recipe on Stove Top
- 📝 Possible Substitutions in Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 📝 Cooking Variations
- 🧊 Storage
- 💯 Top tips to make The Best Butternut Squash Soup
- 🥗 What to serve with Butternut Squash Soup?
- 🥣 Gimme more Fall Soup Recipes
- Is Butternut Squash Soup Healthy for you?
- How do you make Butternut Squash Soup taste better?
- Do you have to peel the butternut Squash for Soup?
- Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
🥘 Ingredients Needed to make The Best Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegetable Stock (low sodium) - to make the soup
- Garlic (minced) - helps flavor the soup
- Yellow Onion (finely chopped) - helps sweeten the soup
- Apple (any kind) - cored and roughly chopped - I like the taty sweetness apples provides to the soup.
- Butternut squash (peeled, seeded and diced into small cubes) - You can also use frozen, precut Butternut Squash. However, remember to thaw before use.
- Carrot (peeled and cubed)
- Fresh Sage - For that perfect fall herby taste.
- Salt & Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Coconut Milk canned, unsweetened - Seriously the best thing about this Butternut Squash soup.
- Unsalted Butter - for added creaminess
See recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
💨 Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Dump all the ingredients (except of Coconut Milk) in the Instant pot
- Stir to combine
- Cover with the lid
- Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes
- Quick release the pressure. Remove the Spring of Sage leaf using tongs.
- Pour Coconut milk and stir until combined.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth
- Garnish with some Cayenne Pepper and Coconut Milk and Serve.
🥘Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Roughly chop the Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Apples and Butternut Squash. You do not even have to cut them perfectly because any ways they will all get cooked and get blended.
- Dump all the ingredients (except Coconut Milk) in the Crock Pot. (You can use a large 6 quart or a small 4 quart slow cooker)
- Cover with the lid
- Slow Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 Hours
- Remove the spring of Sage Leaf.
- Pour Coconut Milk in it and stir until combined
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth
- Or use a traditional blender. However, make sure you cool the soup down completely before you blend. Also, blend the soup in batches to avoid splattering.
- Serve with some cayenne pepper, coconut milk and toasted Pepitas on top.
🍳 Butternut Squash Soup recipe on Stove Top
- You can easily make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup on the Stovetop.
- Heat Butter in a Dutch Pot
- As the butter melts, add the veggies and saute over medium-high heat (this step is absolutely optional. It is only for extra roasted flavors and taste)
- Pour the Vegetable broth and cover cook for 20 minutes
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup
- Garnish and Serve with toppings.
Remember that if you're using a traditional Blender, then you need to blend the soup in batches and filling the blender till the top will result in splattering.
Also, make sure you cool the soup down before blending it in a traditional blender and hot soup will burst in the blender and will make a hot mess and possible accidents. So be careful as to not blend the hot soup.
📝 Possible Substitutions in Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Coconut Cream - instead Coconut milk, use full fat Coconut Cream for even creamier soup.
- Sugar - For added flavors, just add 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar in the soup. It makes it taste so good.
📝 Cooking Variations
- Spicy - If you want more flavors, add some more Cayenne Pepper for the topping
- Roasted Butternut Squash - You can roast the butternut squash in a skillet and then add them to the instant pot or crockpot to make the soup.
- Roasted Veggies - Along with Butternut Squash you can roast the veggies and then use them.
- Thai Curried - Use a tablespoon of Thai Red Curry Paste to make Thai Curried butternut Squash Soup.
- Curried - Use a tablespoon of Curry Powder to make Indian Curried Butternut Squash Soup.
- Heavy Cream - Feel free to replace Coconut Milk with Heavy Cream or Half and Half if you wish to.
You can easily store this Butternut Squash Soup in the refrigerator for 5-6 days. You can easily freeze this Butternut Squash Soup for 3-4 months. This Soup freezes extremely well. Store in an air-tight freezer friendly container and thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven before serving.
💯 Top tips to make The Best Butternut Squash Soup
- Make sure you chop the Butternut Squash to small cubes before putting it to cook in the instant pot or slow cooker. Chopping the Butternut Squash will make sure it cooks quickly and blend easily.
- If you are using a traditional Blender, then cool down the soup completely and then blend it in batches in the traditional blender. Do not fill the blender to the top. Leave some room and then blend to avoid spattering
- Coconut Milk brings added sweetness and creaminess to this Butternut Squash Soup. You can also use Heavy Cream or Coconut Cream or Half and Half
- Check the seasoning and salt of the soup before you serve it. If it lacks taste, then garnish with some cayenne pepper on top and then serve. If it needs salt, then add some salt, stir until combined and then serve the soup.
🥗 What to serve with Butternut Squash Soup?
I like to serve Butternut Squash Soup for a light dinner recipe along with some:
- Healthy Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime Dressing
- Refreshing Pomegranate Orange Salad
- Feel-Good Apple Orange Salad With Walnuts and Mint Leaves
- Creamy Cucumber Red Onion Salad with Dill and Sourcream
- Onion Cucumber Tomato Corn Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing - Dairy Free, Gluten-Free Salad
- Brown Sugar Maple Glazed Carrots with Spiced Nuts
- Miso Carrots (Roasted)
- Honey Sriracha Glazed Carrots
- Cheesy Garlic BreadSticks
🥣 Gimme more Fall Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Lentil soup recipe
- Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup with Spinach
- Healthy White Bean Enchilada Soup
- Potato Leek Soup (Without Heavy Cream or Creme Fraiche)
- Thai Curried Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
- Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons
- Red Bean Tex Mex Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
- Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Soup
Is Butternut Squash Soup Healthy for you?
Yes! Butternut Squash Soup is the best source of fibre and potassium in your diet. Having it will help with your heart and boost antioxidant levels in the bloodstream.
How do you make Butternut Squash Soup taste better?
You can add lemon juice to xest up the flavors of this soup. You can also drizzle some roasted Pumpkin seed oil for extra flavors.
Do you have to peel the butternut Squash for Soup?
Yes, this recipe calls for peeling the skin of Butternut Squash and then using it. However, if you do not want to peel the skin, then don't, just remember to roast the Butternut Squash before use.
Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock low sodium
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 medium sized Yellow Onion finely chopped
- 1 large Apple (any kind) cored and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized Butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced into small cubes
- 1 medium sized Carrot peeled and cubed
- 1 spring Fresh Sage
- ½ teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup Coconut Milk canned, unsweetened
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- Add Vegetable Stock, chopped Garlic, Chopped Carrots, Chopped Apples, Chopped Butternut Squash, chopped Onions, Cayenne Pepper, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeg, Salt & Pepper to the Instant Pot. Stir until combined. Cover with the lid and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- After the veggies gets cooked, quick release the pressure. Pour the Coconut Milk in it and stir until combined. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Or use a traditional blender to blend the soup. (if using a traditional blender, then remember to cool it down completely before you blend it. Also, blend it in batches to avoid splattering)
- Serve with some Cayenne Pepper and Coconut Milk on top.
Michelle Sharpe says
This soup feels like a warm fall hug! So creamy and comforting! Especially love the taste of coconut milk
thank you so much! So glad you liked this recipe...!