Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons - A recipe that ticks all the right boxes. Creamy, Cozy, and Comforting Healthy Green Soup bursting with fresh and warm flavors. Made using Onions, Garlic, Fresh Spinach, Russet Potatoes, and Low Sodium Chicken Broth, this recipe takes just 40-45 minutes from scratch to make. And, is best enjoyed with some crispy Garlic Croutons.
This Spinach Soup is an elegant starter for your dinner party. Or if you are hosting a cocktail party, then this soup is super-good. So velvety and so creamy.
Popularly known as "Green Soup" this creamy and gorgeous soup is really amazing. So, comforting that you will literally want to sit back alone with this hearty and velvety bowl of green soup and enjoy it at peace.
Ingredients You Need to Make this Healthy Spinach Soup?
For the Spinach Soup:
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: You need a good quality Extra-virgin Olive Oil to make this Spinach Soup.
- Red Onion: Yes, you can substitute this with White Onions or Shallots if you wish.
- Garlic: A little touch of garlic adds an edge to this creamy Spinach soup.
- Spinach: I used fresh spinach. If you are using fresh spinach, make sure you trim off the thick stems. Also, you can use canned Spinach.
- Potatoes: I generally go with Russet Potatoes to make this soup. This is because Russet potatoes have got a simple flavor, which blends well with all other flavors perfectly and makes this soup hearty. Skip this if you're making a low carb spinach soup
- Low Sodium Chicken/Vegetable Broth: Chicken broth will make your soup thick and smooth. I generally use low sodium Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth because it's good for the heart.
- Salt & Pepper: A little dash of salt and Pepper is all the spice you will need to make this soup the best soup of the season.
For the Garlic Croutons:
- Bread: I used white bread. I cut them into 1/2 inch cubes and then used it.
- Garlic Powder: I have noticed that a little touch of garlic improves the overall taste of these croutons considerably. Garlic gives a new edge to the taste of the Soup.
- Butter: I generally use butter to get my bread golden brown. Butter adds an elegant and comforting layer of taste to the croutons.
How to Make the Best Spinach Soup?
- First, grab a dutch oven or a pot and heat some oil in it. I generally prefer Extra-virgin Olive oil to make this soup. As the oil shimmers throw in onions. (I like to use red onions. But feel free to use white onions).
- Once the Onions have become translucent and lightly brown add in garlic along with spinach and potatoes. I generally love Russet Potatoes for this soup. And I would advise you to go with Russet Potatoes. So, you need to peel the potatoes and chop them into 1/2" cubes before you add them to the pan.
- Now we'll add chicken broth. I advise you to go with Low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth because that's really healthy.
- Let this come to a boil. Keep stirring occasionally. Cover Cook until the spinach is bright green and the potatoes are soft and tender. This takes approximately 15-minutes on medium-low heat.
- Season with Salt and pepper.
- Now grab your immersion blender or your regular blender and blend it until it gets smooth and creamy. (If you're blending in a regular blender, allow the spinach mix to come down to room temperature and then blend it. Also, consider pressing the top of the jar with a towel so that nothing bursts off.
- Stir in some cream in your soup and garnish with croutons.
How to Make Croutons?
- Grab a skillet and add some butter to it. Add Croutons and cook it until it's golden. Keep tossing frequently. This process takes about 3-minutes.
- Drain it on a paper towel and season it with salt.
Spinach Soup Benefits:
Spinach is a really healthy ingredient. If you are choosing a hearty bowl of spinach soup over spicy fast food, you are keeping yourself first. And, that's what is called - "Self Love".
- Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamin A (vision, immune system), C (bones, hair), and K (skin), Magnesium, Manganese, and Iron.
- Spinach has got Lutein and Zeaxanthin. Both are extremely important for a healthy immune system. They are powerful antioxidants that fight with the free-radicals for your body.
- Spinach is a rich source of Nitrate. When you consume Nitrate, your body converts it to Nitric Oxide. And, this Nitric Oxide helps the blood vessels relax and therefore lowers your blood pressure levels.
How to Make Low-Calorie Spinach Soup?
Spinach soup is pretty good for weight loss. But, when you are making a low-calorie version of this soup you can make these changes in the recipe:
- Instead of Potatoes use Turnip. 1 Medium-sized Potato has 163 calories. While 1 Medium-sized turnip has just 34 calories.
- Skip Heavy Cream. Don't worry, I will tell you how to make Spinach soup without cream. So, just replace 1/2 cup (118.5 ml) of heavy cream with 1/4 Cup Soy Milk (79.5 ml) and 2 tablespoons (39.5 ml) of Olive Oil.
- OR: Replace with Greek Yogurt and Milk.
How to Make Vegan Spinach Soup?
For all those who are vegan. I don't want you to think that this recipe isn't for you. In fact, this recipe is surely something that you can try. But, make sure you do the following substitutions in the recipe.
- You can just skip out the cream to make this vegan friendly. Besides that, there is no other ingredient that is not suitable for a vegan diet.
- What is the Vegan Replacement for Heavy Cream?
Just Like I said above you can mix soy milk along with olive oil to make a vegan cream that is also low in carbs.
- If you are thinking that whether or not bread is vegan. Just check if it has milk contents. If yes, then it's not vegan. If no, then it's vegan.
If you are making this recipe then please provide a rating for this recipe below. Also share your valuable feedback and comments below. If you can take a pic of your soup and tag me on Instagram with #recipemagik it would be awesome!
Best Spinach Soup with Garlic Croutons
- 2 tablespoon Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium-sized Red Onion chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 lb Spinach with stems trimmed off
- 1 Large Russet Potato peeled and chopped (1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Salt AS PER TASTE
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Grounded Black Pepper AS PER TASTE
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Bread
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 4 Tablespoon Butter
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven heat some extra virgin olive oil. As soon as the oil gets hot add chopped red onions. Give some time for the onions to get slightly translucent.
- Once the Onions have turned partially brown, add chopped garlic cloves. Stir for like 30-seconds. Now add Potatoes and Spinach.
- Pour the broth and let this come to a boil. Stir occasionally until the potatoes are soft and tender. And, the spinach is bright green. This takes just 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, take a skillet and add some butter to it. Once the butter melts add bread along with garlic powder. Toss and cook until it's beautifully golden brown. This takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or a blender to blend it into a smooth paste.
- Bring it back to a pan. Heat some butter. As soon as the butter melts add your soup. Stir in the cream with the soup.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro & croutons. Serve.
Ask Me Anything