Crispy on the outside, juicy and flavourful on the inside, Vegan Cabbage Steaks are a perfect Vegan dinner recipe. The Cabbage leaves get slightly crispy on the outside while they are juicy and full of flavours and seasonings with a soft center on the inside. I serve this with Vegan Ranch on top for a perfect creamy side. 🌱😋 Also try my Cauliflower Parmesan Steaks recipe.
Why You'll Love These 😍😍
🌱 Great Vegan Dinner: This Roasted Cabbage Steak is a great Vegan dinner recipe which you must add to your daily rotations. It uses ingredients which are pantry staple, easily available in your kitchen.
⏱ 5 min Prep: Also, its a simple handoff recipe, requiring only 5 minutes to prep and then you just bake it in the oven until crispy! So easy and sooo delicious.
💪Healthy and Plant based: I love to make these for busy weeknight dinners. They are so simple and easy. Also, they are full of nutrition, plant based and healthy!
🥰 Warm and Comforting: You'll especially love this for cold nights. Its warm and cosy and so comforting!
- Why You'll Love These 😍😍
- 🥘 Ingredients & Substitutions
- 👩🍳 Instructions
- 💯 TIPS
- 🧊 Storage
- 🌱 More Vegan Dinner Recipes
- 🤔 FAQS
- How to make Pan Fried Cabbage Steaks?
- How to make Grilled Cabbage Steaks?
- Can I make Cabbage Steaks with Parmesan?
- What Sauce to serve with Cabbage Steaks?
- What to eat with Cabbage Steaks?
- Can I make Cabbage Steaks with Cheese?
- Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks (Baked)
🥘 Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cabbage - I have used Green Cabbage for this recipe. However you can replace with Purple Cabbage as well.
- Olive Oil - I like to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for perfect crispy Cabbage Steaks.
- Vegan Butter (melted) - You'll love the buttery taste to these Roasted Cabbage Steaks.
- Crushed Saltine Crackers - This is such a winner. It will make the top crispy like a dream.
- Hot Sauce - If you like a bit of heat, this will be your best option. Use my homemade Hot Sauce if you wish to.
- Spices - Onion & Garlic Powder, Oregano, Cayenne Pepper, Ground Cumin, Salt & Pepper
- Vegan Ranch - This is optional. However, just a drizzle on top makes these taste amazing.
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: CHOP THE CABBAGE
- Cut the Stem of the Cabbage. Now, cut it into half, and each half into another half. This will get you Cabbage discs which are about 1 inch thick.
STEP 2: SEASON THE CABBAGE DISCS
- Carefully place these Cabbage discs in a greased baking dish
- Grease them again with Olive Oil
- Combine all the spices in a bowl and sprinkle over the discs.
- Flip the Cabbage disc and repeat.
- Apply melted Vegan butter and Hot Sauce on top
- Sprinkle the crushed Saltine Crackers on top.
STEP 3: BAKE THE CABBAGE STEAKS
- Bake the Cabbage Steaks @420F for 25 minutes or until the leaves are browned and the center is soft.
STEP 4: SERVE
- Garnish these Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Vegan Ranch or any Creamy dressing of your choice and serve.
- Choosing the Perfect Cabbage - You need to choose the perfect shaped Cabbage which is tight in the center. Also, make sure that the Cabbage is fresh as it will cook faster and shall remain juicier after getting roasted. If your Cabbage Steak gets chewy, its probably because you're using a Cabbage which is pretty stale.
- Season as per your Taste - If you're not into very spicy food, skip out on the Hot Sauce. Rather mix some Brown Sugar along with the seasoning and use it.
- Don't skip the Butter - Butter will make these Cabbage steaks extra crispy and buttery. Generously apply butter over the Cabbage steaks. If you want you can use melted Garlic Butter as well.
You can easily store these Cabbage Steaks in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. However, remember to reheat them in the oven before serving.
This Roasted Cabbage Steak is such a fun vegan and plant based version of the ever popular recipe. I love how easily these get prepred.
Also, its such an amazing way to enjoy Cabbage. I am not a fan of Cabbage myself, but this recipe got me hooked onto cabbages for a while and now I find myself making this every often for dinners, especially for colder nights!
Its super simple, requires minimal effort and always come out perfectly crispy with juicy and soft centers.
🌱 More Vegan Dinner Recipes
- Vegan Hamburgers (Unbelievably Good)
- Quinoa and Black Beans (Vegan)
- Vegan Stuffed Peppers With Quinoa
- Spicy Chipotle Chickpea Tacos (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Vegan Crispy Tofu with Toasted Cashews and Blistered Peas
- Vegan Stuffed Zucchini Boats
How to make Pan Fried Cabbage Steaks?
Just add the seasoned Cabbage in the greased Pan. Cover with a lid and cook on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side as well for 4-5 minutes. Your Pan Fried Cabbage Steaks are ready.
Do not forget to cover cook the Cabbage Steaks or else, the leaves will brown but the center of the Cabbage steak shall remain uncooked and hard. So cover cook it for the steam to get build and it getting cooked to perfection!
How to make Grilled Cabbage Steaks?
Season and place the Cabbage steaks on the grill. Grill 5 minutes each side. Baste with melted Butter every often to prevent it from drying out.
Can I make Cabbage Steaks with Parmesan?
Yes! Of Course. Cabbage Steaks are your perfect blank canvas to top with anything you love. I love to serve these with Parmesan cheese or Crumbled Blue Cheese on top.
What Sauce to serve with Cabbage Steaks?
You can serve this with Creamy Mushroom Sauce or BBQ Sauce or Peanut Sauce or Honey Mustard Sauce or Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce or Vegan Ranch, like I do.
You can top these Cabbage Steaks with some crispy fried Bacon Bits as well.
What to eat with Cabbage Steaks?
You can serve these Cabbage Steaks as is. However if you want you can also serve with other Roasted Vegetables or healthy Grains like Quinoa or Cauliflower Rice.
Can I make Cabbage Steaks with Cheese?
Ofcourse. You can top off the Cabbage Steaks with Mozzarella and drizzle some Balsamic vinegar, Cherry Tomatoes and Basil on top after it gets baked to give these Cabbage Steaks a Caprese flavor. OR,
Just top off with some Crumbled Blue Cheese or Blue Cheese Dressing OR
Just sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese on top if you wish to and serve.
I hope you liked this recipe and shall make it soon. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks (Baked)
- 1 large Cabbage stem removed
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- ½ cup Saltine Crackers crushed (optional)
- 1 stick Vegan Butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Salt adjust as per taste
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Cut the Cabbage. First, chop off the stem of the Cabbage. Next, cut it into half and then half each half. You will have four discs in total which are about 1 inch in thickness. Preheat the oven to 425F
- Place these Cabbage discs in a greased baking dish. Brush Olive Oil over them, Mix all the spices and sprinkle generously over the Cabbage discs. Brush melted butter over them and top off with some crushed Saltine Crackers.
- Bake these in a 425F preheated oven for 25 minutes. You can get it out of the oven and brush some more melted butter at every 10 minutes mark to prevent the Cabbage steaks from drying out.
- Serve immediately with Ranch dressing or any creamy sauce of your choice.
Ask Me Anything