Creamy, Sharp, and Sweet Honey Mustard Sauce is something that is always going to be special for me. And, there cannot be anything better than Honey Mustard Sauce.
Whether you are having some fried chicken or a salad or a Grilled Cheese Sandwich the first thing you'll reach for is some honey mustard.
Honey is sweet while mustard is so spicy and has that sharp kick to itself. These two come together to possibly make the best sauce ever! But only if you make it by yourself at home!
Why should I make Honey Mustard Sauce?
Oftentimes the honey mustard sauce you get at the shops is not balanced enough. Either it'll be too sweet or too spicy.
And we don't want either of that in our honey mustard sauce. Not to mention, there are so many other unique additions you can make to a regular mustard sauce to make it taste infinitely better than its original version.
And when you make your own honey mustard sauce, you get to make those additions and adjust the ingredients to however you want. Lastly, you can make your honey mustard sauce fresh without any preservatives or artificial taste enhancers in the comfort of your very own kitchen!
What do you need to make honey mustard sauce?
You don't need a pantry full of ingredients to make a simple honey mustard sauce.
In fact you need at most five to seven ingredients to put together a great honey mustard sauce.
These ingredients should be available in most kitchens and even if they are not then don't worry, as they are cheap and easily accessible to everyone.
- Dijon Mustard
If you want to make the best honey mustard sauce, then you have to go with the dijon mustard sauce.
Don't make the mistake of putting regular mustard as not only is it a little bit artificial (just look at its bright yellow color) but it's also not as strong and flavorful as Dijon mustard.
Just like with mustard you'd want to put the best quality honey in your honey mustard sauce.
We suggest you use pure organic honey that comes without any artificial additions to it like preservatives.
If you want to check the purity of your honey, then just drop a few drops of vinegar on its surface.
If the vinegar begins to foam up, that means your honey is not pure.
Mayonnaise belongs in a honey mustard sauce. Not only will it add creaminess and smoothness to your sauce but it will also give a much needed savory element to all the sweetness and spiciness!
- Lemon Juice
So we have the sweet element, the spice element and the savory element. How about we add a bit of sourness to this mix? A squeeze of lemon in your honey mustard sauce will give a much needed depth of flavor and help cut against the heaviness of ingredients like Dijon mustard and honey. You can also alternatively use white vinegar if you want to amp up the sour levels!
- Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is known to be among the hottest of the peppers, so really use it with care. Just a pinch of it should be enough. But since Djion mustard is already so strong tasting in the spice department, you can always feel free to skip the cayenne pepper. But if you want your honey mustard sauce to have a extra kick, then you should definitely include this ingredient!
How to make Honey Mustard Sauce
You don't need any food processor or blender to make this sauce. You also don't need to make a lot of time in your schedule either. Just give it five minutes and your honey mustard sauce will be ready to serve!
- Take a bowl of appropriate size. Add all the five ingredients we listed in the proportion you feel is according to your taste preferences.
- To keep it balanced, try to add equal amount of Djion Mustard and Honey. You can also add an equal amount of mayonnaise to keep it even more balanced on the tasting scale.
- Keep your cayenne pepper to just a small amount. If you are making a small bowl (approximately 150gm) of honey mustard sauce then a pinch of cayenne pepper is more then enough.
- You should not be needing salt in this recipe. But if you feel the sauce is not seasoned enough, feel free to add salt.
- Once your ingredients are all assembled inside the bowl, give it a mix with your spoon until smooth. Make sure everything is combined uniformly.
- Your honey mustard sauce is now ready. You can serve it immediately or store it away for future use.
How to serve Honey Mustard Sauce?
There are so many creative ways you can serve honey mustard sauce to your family or guests.
While fried chicken and fries always go great with honey mustard sauce, did you know that it also complements grilled sausages?
If you didn't know then don't worry, because we will give you some more interesting combinations with your hot sauce!
- Fried Food - Honey Mustard Sauce works as an excellent dip with foods like chicken nuggets, chicken wings and even pizza sticks or Garlic BreadSticks.
Actually use honey mustard sauce with any fried food and you are guaranteed to be impressed at how good it will be!
- Sandwiches and burgers - Honey mustard sauce works as a great spread on sandwiches and burgers, especially if they are they meaty kind. The sweet and spicy flavors complements the fattiness of a beef patty perfectly!
- Vegetables - Don't worry vegans, we have not forgotten you. If you think honey mustard sauce is not for all the vegans out there, then think again! If you are trying to eat fresh vegetables but find it too bland on its own, then simply dip them into honey mustard sauce. You will never think bad about vegetables again!
- Marinade/glaze - If you are bored of those same old Barbeque glazes then why don't change it up a little with honey mustard sauce? Just try to make some chicken wings with a honey mustard glaze. You can even go ahead and give your Thanksgiving Turkey a honey mustard glaze to add a bit of kick to the festive season!
Can I make a Dressing out of Honey Mustard Sauce?
Honey mustard dressing is one of the most popular salad dressings out there and you don't need to do anything special to make it. All you need is some honey mustard sauce at home, even better if it's homemade. Just add a small amount of vinegar to thin it out and it is now ready to be used honey mustard dressing for your salad!
How to store Honey Mustard Sauce?
Honey mustard sauce has a decent shelf life of upto two weeks if you store it properly.
Just pack it in an air-tight glass jar/bottle and keep it in the sauce shelf of your fridge. If you want to increase the longevity of your sauce then just add a little bit of vinegar to the sauce.
This will help increase its acidity, hence improving its lifespan.
Honey mustard sauce is among the most versatile sauces out there. You can even make a salad dressing out of it! Or use it as a spread for your sandwiches! What more do you need from a sauce? If you are looking for a sauce that is quick and easy for daily use, then honey mustard sauce is right up your alley!
Quick & Easy Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- In a bowl whisk everything until it becomes smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Ask Me Anything