These Easy Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas makes for the most comforting Mexican dinner ever! Stuffed with Shredded Chicken and Cheddar Cheese tossed with Enchilada Sauce & Sour Cream, topped with more Cheese and Baked for 15 minutes. This Homemade Enchilada Recipe is super hearty and creamy. Its perfect for a quick weeknight dinner for the family or for Cinco De Mayo.
Feel Good Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas
Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas
Sour Cream Enchiladas are creamy and flavorful. These are the best of both Red and Creamy Enchiladas, giving you the perfect tasting Enchiladas floating in Cheese. These Enchiladas take just 30 min from start to finish. A perfect Mexican dinner recipe for weeknight dinners which everyone shall love!
- Chicken Sour Cream EnchiladasSour Cream Enchiladas are creamy and flavorful. These are the best of both Red and Creamy Enchiladas, giving you the perfect tasting Enchiladas floating in Cheese. These Enchiladas take just 30 min from start to finish. A perfect Mexican dinner recipe for weeknight dinners which everyone shall love!
- TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHICKEN ENCHILADAS EVERY TIME
- Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas Ingredients
- How to make Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas
- What to serve with Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas
- How to store Leftover Enchiladas?
- FAQs in Brief
- Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas (just 30 min)
Enchiladas are one such recipe which I make at least once every week. And everyone loves Enchiladas for dinner in my home.
Especially my Kids LOVE Enchiladas!
They are not a fan of Creamy White Enchiladas. However they love Salsa Verde Enchiladas and Red Chicken Enchiladas.
Today's recipe of Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas is a cross between the two. There's Sour Cream like the White Enchiladas for creaminess and also the spicy taste or Red Enchilada Sauce!
And the result is SO GOOD! ITS BEYOND DELICIOUS!
Every bite of these Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas feels so blissful and comforting! Its seriously the best Chicken Enchiladas Recipe EVER!!!
Also try these Enchilada Recipes
- Red Chicken Enchiladas - all time family favorite
- Turkey Enchiladas
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Bites
Fancy a hassle free Enchilada Soup? Try these!
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Healthy White Bean Enchilada Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHICKEN ENCHILADAS EVERY TIME
- Don't add too much sauce in the Enchiladas.
- Add Enchilada Sauce in the base so that the Enchiladas do not get stuck to the bottom of the dish.
- Spread only a little amount of Sauce in the Enchiladas before rolling them.
- Do not over stuff the Tortillas with the filling. Use only about 2-3 tablespoon of Filling for each Tortilla
- Use homemade Enchilada Sauce for best experience.
- Fry the Tortillas. Yes, fry them in a skillet with little olive oil. Frying them will make the Tortillas extra crispy.
- Use Corn Tortillas for more flavors and less seepage.
Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas Ingredients
- Shredded Chicken - You can use leftover roasted Chicken, shred it and use it for Enchiladas. Or use Shredded Store Bought Rotisserie Chicken or just cook Chicken in the microwave, drain and shred using two forks. Its pretty simple.
- Shredded Cheese - I use Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese. However you can use Cheddar Cheese as well.
- Corn Tortilla - Use 8 inches large Corn Tortillas. Make Flour Tortillas at home or use your favorite store bought variety.
- Sour Cream - Use your favorite variety of Thick and Creamy Sour Cream
- Red Enchilada Sauce - Use your favorite variety of Mexican Red Enchilada Sauce or use homemade Red Enchilada Sauce.
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
How to make Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas
STEP 1: MAKE THE FILLING
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet
- As the oil shimmers, add Shredded Chicken, Sour Cream, Red Enchilada Sauce, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Dry Ranch Seasoning, Salt, & Pepper.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
STEP 2: PREP THE ENCHILADAS
- Begin by pouring the Enchilada sauce in the baking dish
- Add a tablespoon of the filling in the Tortillas. Roll and place in the dish, seam side down.
- Pour Sour Cream on top and slather over the Enchiladas.
- Top with shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Bake for 15-20 min, Garnish with Cilantro and enjoy!
Use Flour Tortillas as Corn Tortillas are smaller in size and not ideal for making Enchiladas. If you use Corn Tortillas to make these Gluten Free, make sure you use lots of them to roll the Enchiladas evenly!
What to serve with Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Mexican Rice - Serve with healthy Mexican Cauliflower Rice. Its such a hearty combination
- Guacamole - A little dollop of creamy Guacamole on the side is a welcome addition.
- Refried Beans - Some Refried Beans would be perfect side with Enchiladas.
How to store Leftover Enchiladas?
I love Enchiladas for dinner. Garnish with a dollop of Sour Cream, chopped Cilantro, Diced Tomatoes and Avocados and its done!
Here's some delicious sides you can make and serve with Enchiladas to make it a wholesome dinner for the family or the crowd.
FAQs in Brief
Are Enchiladas better with Corn or Flour Tortillas?
Of course, Corn Tortillas are so much better than Flour Tortillas. Corn Tortillas are traditional used to make Enchiladas. So make these Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas using Corn Tortillas for an authentic Mexican experience.
Corn tortillas have a distinct sharp taste while Flour Tortillas are bland and flavorless.
Also Corn Tortillas hold their shape perfectly when rolled and the sauce doesn't seep in.
How do you keep Chicken Enchiladas from getting soggy?
Use Corn Tortillas instead of Flour Tortillas. Corn Tortillas hold their shape perfectly and does not break or get soggy while rolling or even after baking.
How to Make Ahead Chicken Enchiladas?
You can easily make ahead Chicken Enchiladas. Just add Enchilada Sauce in the baking dish, add the filling in the tortillas, wrap and top with shredded Cheese.
Cover the dish with plastic wrap. Crisp tightly around the edges to prevent freezer burn. You can freeze this for up to a week.
To heat, preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 45 min. (keep the foil on). No need to thaw before baking.
Can I make Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas?
Of course. Use store bought Rotisserie Chicken to make Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas. All you got to do is toss the Rotisserie Chicken with Red Enchilada Sauce, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese and Spices in a skillet and once it crisps up, add to Tortillas, wrap and bake!
Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas are easier to make and a great time saver!
How to make Refried Beans Chicken Enchiladas?
I agree that Refried Beans Chicken Enchiladas is super dreamy and delicious. All you got to do is spread a tablespoon of Refried Beans over the toasted Tortillas, before you add the Chicken filling. And then wrap and place in the casserole dish. Top with cheese and bake!
How to make Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
To make a quick and easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole, you simply need to up the cheese on top and bake until the cheese melts on top! Other than that the recipe shall remain the same.
Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas (just 30 min)
- 1½ cup Shredded Chicken cooked
- 2 cups Red Enchilada Sauce can use Green Sauce as well.
- 8 large Corn or Flour Tortillas
- 3 cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoon Dry Ranch Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers, add the Shredded Chicken, Enchilada Sauce, Sour Cream and Shredded Cheddar Cheese to it. Toss to combine. Add the spices - Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Dry Ranch Seasoning, Salt & Pepper. Toss to combine.
- Heat the Tortillas on the stove until soft & pliable.
- Pour the Enchilada Sauce in the baking dish. Spread evenly. Smear 1 teaspoon of Enchilada Sauce in the Tortillas. Add the Chicken Filling in the center. Top with cheese, roll the Tortillas tightly and place in the baking dish, seam side down. Top with shredded Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 min or until the cheese is melted and gets bubbly on top.
- Top with chopped Onion, Cilantro, Red Onions, a dollop of Sour Cream and serve.