Refried Beans are a favorite Mexican side that is commonly used in almost all Mexican recipes. You must have had it at every Mexican restaurant. They are served inside of Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas, Chimichangas, and over Tostadas. Also, you can easily buy canned Refried Beans. However, nothing beats the homemade Refried Beans recipe. It's by far superior and so easy to make.
Refried Beans always find a place in my Mexican table spread. I lie to serve these with Tortilla Chips or Nacho along with some Salsa and Guacamole as a quick bean dip.
I like the buttery and nutty taste of this refried Bean. Refried Beans are super healthy. It's filled with Proteins and calcium and is one of the best Vegan Protein sources.
This Refried Beans recipe is naturally Vegan. So, you can use it in your Vegan Tacos and Burritos as well. Have you tried my Baked Vegan Taquitos?
I make my Refried Beans using Pinto Beans. Pinto Beans or Red Beans are buttery and tastes divine when they are blended. In fact, it has been done for ages in Indian Cooking where cooked Pinto Beans Curry are partially mashed and served.
Pinto Beans are so easy to cook as well. You can obviously replace this with Black Beans but Pinto Beans would be a perfect choice for this recipe.
You can use Fresh or Canned Beans for this recipe. Both works equally great for this recipe and don't change the taste of the Refried Beans.
How to make Homemade Refried Beans
Step 1: Saute Onions & Garlic
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan
- As the Oil shimmers, add chopped Onions and Garlic
- Saute until the onions turn translucent and the garlic gets fragrant.
Step 2: Add the Beans
- Add the drained Pinto Beans
- Add the spices - Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt & Pepper
- Pour 1 cup of water
- Cover cook for 10 minutes to get the beans soft and mushy
Step 3: Mash the Beans
- Use a Potato Masher or Two Forks to Mash the Beans
Step 4: Garnish & Serve
- Garnish the Refried Beans with chopped Cilantro and Lime Juice.
Refried Beans in Instant Pot
You can cook the Refried Beans in an Instant Pot as well. Just saute onion and garlic in saute mode. Next, throw in the Beans along with water and the spices. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
After it gets cooked, allow the steam to escape naturally. Then take the beans out and cool them down. Blend them smooth using a Potato Masher or Immersion Blender or two forks.
I like the Lime in my Refried Beans so much that I always double it. I think that the kick of lime juice really brings all the flavors to life in this Refried Beans recipe.
Tips to make Authentic Refried Beans
Refried Beans just like its served in a Taco Bell are not only tasty and delicious but a staple. Taco Bell Refried Beans is such an amazing side for your Mexican spread. However, forget buying them now, as you will have the best Refried Beans at home, following this super easy and quick recipe.
- Black Beans or Pinto Beans - The choice is totally up to you. You can use Pinto Beans or Black Beans. White Black Beans Refried Beans is quite nutty in taste, Pinto Beans Refried Beans is smooth and buttery.
- Finely chopped Onions & Garlic - I like to use finely chopped Onions and Garlic for this recipe. The finer they are the better the flavors.
- Mashed Beans - I like my Refried Beans to be absolutely Mashed. You can keep it chunky or absolutely smooth and that is totally up to you. To get chunky smooth Mashed Beans, use a food processor.
So, this was all about this Refried Beans recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Best Homemade Refried Beans Recipe
- 2 cans Pinto Beans 15 oz each (or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 medium sized Onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper adjust as per taste
- 1 cup Water
- chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Lime Juice for garnish
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan. As the Oil shimmers, add the chopped Onions and minced Garlic. Saute until the onions turn translucent for about 3-4 minutes over low heat.
- Add Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Salt & Pepper. Toss to combine. Now, pour in the drained Pinto Beans and water. Toss to combine. Cover cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Now, remove the lead and allow the steam to escape. Turn off the heat. Use a potato masher or two forks to mash the beans. If the Beans are stiff hard, then cover the cook for a few more minutes until they get fork tender.
- Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro and Lime Juice. Serve hot.