Eggless Strawberry Lemon Tartlets without flour is a recipe that will make you think, why do we need flour at all? Made using quinoa and oats these homemade tart shells are better than the ones we generally make with flour. The texture of these tartlets is that of the next level. The filling is something incredible. Strawberry pie filling with lemon zest. All in all, this is an extremely easy recipe that you must try.
Eggless Strawberry Lemon Tartlets without Flour
The Strawberry season is here. And, we should definitely make the most of it as much as we can. I was convinced that I won’t let this beautiful season pass me by without trying out some of my favorite strawberry recipes.
And, here I am today with yet another Strawberry recipe that shall I say makes into my coveted list of favorite summer recipes.
Seriously guys, how are you spending your summers? If you ask me, I am just making the most of these summer months by indulging in seasonal fruits and veggies. From zucchinis to blueberries to peaches to strawberries, this year for me the summers have been all about baking! I have literally baked every single day. From brownies to cupcakes to cookies to tarts to pies to brioche to pop tarts to the galette. But, every morning, I still find inspiration from the beautiful season outside to make something amazing.
Right now, I am going crazy over this new tub of Strawberry Pie filling that I got just yesterday. I have already lined up a list of strawberry recipes that I am gonna try in the next few days.
But, for today, let's focus on this amazing summer dessert – Strawberry Lemon tartlets made without flour.
Without Flour? Is that even possible?
Yes, friends. Absolutely! I have used a combination of ground quinoa and ground oats as a replacement for flour for making these lemon strawberry tartlets.
There are many advantages to skipping flour. First of all skipping flour makes this recipe gluten-free. Secondly, The quinoa along with ground oats creates a beautiful nutty texture. Moreover, since I have added some lemon juice and maple syrup, I have got a beautiful balance of sweet and sour.
How to make Strawberry Pie Filling at home?
I have used store-bought strawberry pie filling, which you can use. But, if you have fresh strawberries at home, then I am gonna tell you how to make the strawberry pie filling at home.
First, take a cup of mashed strawberries and put it in a saucepan with about 1 cup of boiling water. Let that simmer for approximately 5 minutes. Strain the juice and add some water to make it about a cup of strawberry juice. Discard the remnants.
In a separate saucepan, add this juice along with sugar, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and some corn-starch. If you want to make it gluten-free then use arrowroot flour in place of cornstarch. Bring this to a boil and keep stirring continuously so that none of the best sticks to the bottom of the pan. Soon it will become thick then you need to remove it from heat and let it cool down slightly. And Voila! Your homemade strawberry pie filling is ready.
Want more flavors? Thrown in some sliced strawberries as well.
What are some other variations to this recipe?
Lemon Curd – You can definitely add some lemon curd on the strawberry pie filling after you have made the tartlets. It will take the taste of this dish to a notch higher.
Cherries – I have a recipe that is cherry pie tartlets with meringue. You can definitely give that a try. It should definitely keep the summer vibes alive.
Mixed Berry – If you love the combo of all berries then you can make a mixed berry compote and that shall be really good.
Blackberries – Even blackberries make an excellent combination. In fact, you should take advantage of this season to use some blackberries.
Blueberries – Just like blackberries the blueberries make an excellent addition to this recipe. You can prepare a blueberry pie filling at home and then use that as the base.
Eggless Strawberry Lemon Tartlets without Flour
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats grounded
- ⅔ Cup Quinoa grounded
- ½ Cup Melted Butter I have used salted butter
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt Only if you are using unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon Maple Syrup or Honey
- ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Strawberry Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Zest zest of one lemon
- 5-6 small Lemon wedges only for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C
- In a medium sized bowl combine rolled oats, grounded quinoa, brown sugar, maple syrup and melted butter. Add some lemon juice and mix well until it begins to come together. You can also do this step in the food processor and combine everything until the dough comes together.
- Take a 2-inch tart pan and grease it with butter. Press down the dough so that it sticks to the pan and takes the shape of it. Prick the bottom and sides with a toothpick. Bake your tart shells at 180C for 350F for 15 minutes. Allow them to cool on the wire rack when done. Once completely cooled use a butter knife to get them out.
- Add one tablespoon of strawberry pie filling into the mini tart shells. Smoothen the top with an offset spatula. Top with some lemon zest and refrigerate for 30-minutes before you serve.
Ask Me Anything