Cherry Almond Galette is a classic summer dessert recipe. Crispy and Buttery on the outside and bursting with sweet cherry pie flavors on the inside, these Galettes are the best Summer recipes.
Cherry Almond Galette
Hey you guys! Happy Saturday! So, as promised, I'm back with another interesting baking project for the weekend! This weekend, let me introduce you to this crazy good dessert recipe called Galette.
Also known as French Pizza or a rustic Pie, Galettes are not new in the world of desserts! They are a classic recipe where fruit filling or Eggs topped with Bacon is placed inside the dough and it is baked! The result is kind of like a Pie come Pizza!
But you guys! It tastes nothing like a Pie or a Fruit Pizza. Galettes have their own standard of taste. They are so buttery and crunchy on the outside and in the very next bite t feels like you are biting into a world of sweet cherries topped with the sweet flavors of Vanilla Ice Cream. It's seriously that good! 🙂
I just love Galettes. Especially during the Summer months, when I'm busy playing with the kids in the pool or just swimming on a lazy Saturday, I love it so much when I get the aromatic buttery fragrance of these Galettles coming out of my kitchen! It's just so relaxing and calming for me!
Galettes can be made with any fruit filling or even a savory filling of your choice. From Peaches to Berries - Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry or Raspberries - be it frozen or fresh; they can be used for this recipe. For the fall season you can also make this with Apples or Pumpkins!
How to make Cherry Almond Galettes
There are 5 basic steps in making a Galette.
First - You start by making the dough. Take a food processor or a bowl and mix in flour with cold butter, ice-cold water, and sugar. If you are using a food processor, then just pulse everything together and keep adding ice-cold water through the feeding tube as per requirement. If you're doing it with your hands, I'd recommend you use a Pastry cutter. You do not need to melt the butter with your hands. Just try to combine everything together into a dough.
If you have pieces of butter coming out of your dough, then relax. This is an indication that your Dough is just perfect. Cover the Dough with a Plastic or Aluminium Wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Second - Meanwhile, you can make the Cherry Pie filling. For this take Pitted Cherries along with Sugar, Lemon Juice, and Cornstarch Slurry. Heat it over medium flame for 2 minutes until it thickens. Keep stirring it.
Third - Now take out the Galette dough and cut it into 3 parts. We will be making one large and two mini Galettes. So, you can start with the Large Galette Dough and then repeat the same process for the other two.
Dust it with flour and roll it out evenly. Dust off the excess flour and put the cherry pie filling in the center. Make sure that you put the filling one over the top and not spread it around.
Fourth - Brush the inside of the Galette with Egg wash. This is very important and will make sure that your Galette is crunchy and buttery.
Fifth - Start folding in the Dough towards the center. There is no particular rule as to how much you should fold. You can fold as much crust you wish. Also, brush the top with Egg wash. Drizzle chopped Almonds and Coarse Sugar on the top and bake it at 350 F or 180 C for 35 minutes.
So, this is how you make Galettes. As your Galettes will be baking, your home will turn into this aromatic wonderland! You can cool it out and then place a dollop of Vanilla Ice Cream over the Galette.
Cherry Almond Galette
For the Pie Crust
- 2½ Cup AP Flour
- ½ Cup Salted Butter Cold and cubed
- 2 tablespoon Coarse Sugar
- ½ Cup Ice Cold Water use in bursts
Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 Cup Cherries Pitted
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch Slurry
- 1 large Egg
- ¼ Cup Chopped Almonds
- 2 tablespoon Coarse Sugar
- Mix the Flour with Butter, Sugar and Ice Water in a food processor and pulse it well until combined. Add Ice Water through the feeding tube as per requirement. Once it gets done, get it out and try to shape it in the form of a round dough. Do not knead the dough. Just shape it.If you do not have Food Processor, Use a Pastry cutter or just your hands to combine the flour with butter. Use Ice Water as per requirement to combine into a soft dough.Wrap it up in a Plastic or Aluminium Wrap and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
- Combine Pitted Cherries with Lemon Juice, Granulated Sugar and Cornstarch Slurry (Cornstarch mixed with water). Heat it over low flame for 2 minutes and stir until it thickens.
- Get the dough out of the refrigerator and cut it into 3 parts. Since we will be making 3 Galettes we are cutting the dough into parts. Dust the surface with flour. Take the Big Part and roll it into a 12 inch circle. Place this onto a lined Baking tray.
- Spoon the Pie Filling in the center of the Galette. Brush the sides with Egg Wash. Fold over the sides, while you keep the center exposed.Brush the top with Egg Wash. Top with chopped Almonds and Coarse Sugar.
- Bake your Galettes for 35 minutes at 350 F or 180 C. Bake the mini Galettes for 25 minutes at the same temperature.
- Chill the Galettes as you get it out of the oven. Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream
- You can make and store the Pie Dough in advance.
- You can use any berries or Fruits.
- If using frozen berries, do not thaw them