Peanut Butter Nutella hand Pies - a recipe that is as complete as it could ever be.
Creamy Peanut Butter when paired with Nutella, the result is something mindblowing. The super crusty and flaky crust with an ooey-gooey peanut buttery and chocolaty inside feel really good. Chocolate and Peanut Butter make an excellent pair. So, have a look at my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies or this Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart or this No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter lasagna or these 3-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
How are you? Today I am gonna tell you about my secret recipe. You know, I have not seen this recipe anywhere and I bet that you cannot find this recipe anywhere. This is completely my original recipe. All I thought was I gotta do something with Nutella. In fact, I was craving for some Nutella dessert. I had already made Nutella brownies and now all I wanted to do was make something new, make something that would surprise me. So, I ended up making these peanut butter Nutella hand pies.
Peanut Butter and chocolate are an excellent combination in itself. And, when you add a touch of Nutella you make everything taste incredible.
This is the story of my Nutella Peanut Butter hand pies. If you wanna bake this with me then follow me down the road.
I know you are thinking that this recipe is not for you because you don't have a pie crust at home. But, don't worry! I am not asking you to get any pie crust. I am gonna tell you how to make the crust at home. It's not rocket science. In fact, it's super simple and something that you can make ahead of time.
How to make Homemade Pie Crust for Baked Nutella Peanut Butter hand pies?
STEP 1: First we’ll combine flour and sugar. So start by combining 2 cups of flour with 1 Tablespoon of Granulated Sugar. Yes! The ratio of Flour to Sugar is 2:1. This is something that you MUST keep in mind. However, if you want it sweeter, you can always add more sugar.
STEP 2: Next add ½ stick of COLD BUTTER cut into ½ inch cubes. You must always use cold butter to make your pie crust. This will make sure that your crust is crispy, flaky, buttery, and tender. I have used salted butter so I have not added any extra salt. But, if you are using unsalted butter, you must add ¼ teaspoon of salt at this stage. Now you have three options. You can either make the dough using a food processor, or you can use a pastry cutter or you can use two forks. Bring it into a crumbly mix, that looks like pea-sized crumbs.
NOTE: Don’t overwork on the dough as you would naturally do on a regular dough. We don’t need all the butter to melt. Sometimes when we overwork, the heat produced from our hands melts the butter. So, simply get everything together.
STEP 3: Now when you need water to get everything together, don’t use normal water, rather use ICE COLD WATER. Use 1 Tablespoon of water at a time. You don’t need to knead the dough, just get everything together. If you start kneading the dough, the butter will melt and your pie crust won't be flaky, buttery and tender.
STEP 4: Once your dough is ready, cover it and let it refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight. If you want to use it right away, then just cover it with a cling wrap or saran wrap or foil and freeze for about 30-45 minutes in the freezer.
If you want to use it later, then you can wrap it tightly in a cling wrap or aluminum foil and keep it in the freezer. It will stay perfectly fine for up to 3 months.
How To Make Peanut Butter Nutella Hand Pies
STEP 1: First make the pie crust as I explained above. If you have already got a store-bought pie crust then well and good, half the work is done.
STEP 2: I try to keep it simple so I don’t make any filling of any sort. I just roll out my dough, when it's done chilling. Then I use a cookie cutter to cut out circles. You can use any shape you want.
STEP 3: For the filling, I simply add one Teaspoon of Peanut butter and spread it a little. Then I follow it up with another spoonful of Nutella and spread it out. Then I top it with another circular pie disc and seal the edges with a fork. I use scissors to create that cute little cross mark on the top.
STEP 4: Before baking my hand pies I always make sure that I apply some Egg wash or milk on them. Today I have brushed milk and sprinkled some sugar crystals.
STEP 5: Though it sounds ridiculous, this step is super-duper important. I keep my plate full of hand pies in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before popping them in the oven. This makes them super crusty and flaky on the outside.
STEP 6: Finally I bake these bad boys at 350F for 30 minutes and they were completely done. For the look, I have melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips and used a piping bag to drizzle it on them. This extra step is just for that extra bit of chocolate love.
Tips to Perfect the recipe
- Never overwork on the pie crust dough. Just get everything together.
- You can always make the pie filling in any other way you want.
- Don’t forget about milk or egg wash and that is very important for that crusty, buttery pie crust.
- Don’t forget to chill the dough before rolling it out, and even chill the hand pies before putting them in the oven.
- Keep in mind that you have to sprinkle some coarse sugar on each hand pie before you put them to make.
Peanut Butter Nutella Hand Pies
- 1 Cup AP Flour
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Cold Butter
- 1 tablespoon Ice Cold Water
- 4 tablespoon Peanut Butter
- 4 tablespoon Nutella
- 1 tablespoon Milk for milk wash
- 1 tablespoon Coarse Sugar
- ½ Cup Melted chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 190 C and grease a cookie baking tray with oil
- In a large mixing bowl take flour along with granulated sugar and cold butter cubes. Combine everything using a pastry cutter or food processor until you get pea-sized crumbs. Combine everything and bring together to make a soft dough.Add 1 tablespoon Ice-Cold water through the feeder. Do not add more water than you require. Do not over knead the dough. Cover and chill the dough in the freezer for 30-minutes.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out circular discs. Use an offset spatula to pick them up and place them on the baking tray.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of Peanut Butter and follow it up with 1 Tablespoon of Nutella. Spread it out with the back of a spoon.
- Cover up the hand pies with another circular disc. Seal the sides with a fork. Crimp the top with a scissor.
- Use some milk and brush it on the hand pies. You can also use an egg wash for this step, but I prefer milk. Sprinkle some coarse sugar onto each hand pie and keep the baking dish with hand pies in it in the freezer for about 20-minutes, uncovered.
- Bake your hand pies at 350F or 190C for 30 minutes or until the sides are golden brown.
- Let them cool on the wire rack. Use a piping bag to drizzle melted dark chocolate on the hand pies. Enjoy!