Roasted Tomato Salsa is a spicy salsa recipe made with Roasted Roma Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Onions, and garlic which are grilled until charred and mixed with other spices such as ground cumin, cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, and Kosher salt and blended into a smooth salsa. This is so much better than store-bought Tomato salsa. The Roasted Tomatoes enhances the flavors of the salsa and beings in a wonderful smokey flavor to this salsa, which tastes especially unique and tasty!
Let's talk about the taste
This is a spicy salsa recipe. There is a smokey taste to it due to the roasted veggies. There is a unique kind of spicy taste due to the Cumin and Jalapeno, Also there is an earthy tone to it which is so amazing. It's not at all sweet. It feels like you are entering the world of spices. It almost feels like curry because of the cumin, however, the after flavor of roasted Tomatoes, the zing of lemon juice, and the buttery after flavor will make you think against it.
How to Make Roasted Tomato Salsa
To make Roasted Tomato Salsa, you first begin by chopping your veggies. You need to chop the Tomatoes length-wise. Next, take about 4-5 cloves of unpeeled Garlic, 1 large Red Onion chopped, and 1 medium-sized Jalapeno chopped. You can use the whole Jalapeno as well.
Chop all of these veggies and place them in the grilled pan to get charred. I use my grill pan to roast my veggies. However you can even do it in the oven.
To grill your veggies in the oven, pre-heat your broiler to high and roast the veggies for 7-8 minutes. The beautiful blistered tops over the Tomatoes and the Jalapenos and the Garlic cloves is a sign that it's time to blend them up into a smooth salsa.
So, first of all peel the skin of the garlic and throw these into a blender along with the other veggies. You can wait for this to cool down and then throw them in the blender. That way, there won't be any risk that it'll start to splutter due to the heat.
Throw in all the other ingredients - Ground Cumin, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Kosher Salt, and Olive Oil.
Blend it into a smooth salsa. Serve it immediately with some Tortilla Chips or Nachos.
How to store Roasted Tomato Salsa
You can make this and store it in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to a week. It'll stay fresh and you will not have to buy it from the store again.
Roasted Tomato Salsa (Better than Canned)
- 1 Lbs Roma Tomatoes halved
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic unpeeled
- 1 Large Red Onion peeled, halved and sliced to about 1/2 inch size.
- 1 medium Jalapeno Pepper stemmed, halved and cut into slices
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro (coriander) chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1-2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt or as per taste
- Charr your tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves (unpeeled), jalapenos in a grill pan with some butter at medium-heat until the tomatoes form a blackened crust on it.You can also do the same in a broiler. First Preheat your broiler to high. Arrange the veggies evenly and broil for 7-8 minutes or until you see blistered tops over the tomatoes.
- Peel the skin of garlic cloves and discard it. Transfer everything into a blender or fruit processor. Throw in all the other ingredients - cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, kosher salt, and olive oil - and blend your salsa until smoothYou can also cool your veggies before you put them in the blender to get them pureed.
- Check the seasoning. Taste for any extra requirement of salt or lemon juice. You can serve this immedietly or if you want to store it then keep it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. You can store this for up to a week.