Restaurant style Carnitas Tacos is super delicious! Slow Cooker Pork, shredded are perfectly juicy and crispy around the edges. Topped with zesty Pico De Gallo this is the best Mexican dinner recipe ever! Its also perfect for Cinco De Mayo. 🇲🇽🇲🇽
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
Carnitas are super easy and flavorful shredded Pork Tacos slow cooked for hours until it gets juicy on the inside while being crispy around the edges, topped over with Pico De Gallo and Avocados.
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
- 😍 Carnitas seasoning
- 🤔 What are Carnitas?
- 😋 Crispy Pork Carnitas
- 🥘 Ingredients needed to make Carnitas Tacos
- 🧑🍳 How to make Crispy Pork Carnitas Tacos
- 🧊 Storage
- 💯 FAQs in Brief
- Why is my Pork extra liquidy?
- Can I make Carnitas in the Instant Pot?
- 🇲🇽 More Mexican Recipes
- Carnitas Tacos - Crock Pot Pork Carnitas
Carnitas is one of the most loved Mexican dishes that you will fall in love with if you haven't already!❤️❤️
Its a super easy recipe with simple ingredients we all have at home.
This easy Carnitas recipe can be made in the Instant Pot or in the slow cooker. Bursting with flavors this Mexican Pulled pork is perfect for Tacos, Tostadas, Burritos, Gorditas, Quesadillas etc.
😍 Carnitas seasoning
The seasoning for authentic Carnitas is so simple. Mexican staple spices like Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic, Lime Juice, Dried Oregano, Bay Leaves, & Orange Juice.
You can also add Coke.
Traditionally Mexican Coke is used.
These Cane Sugar Coke which is sold as Mexican Coke or Mexicoke in America flavors the Carnitas really well. However, you can use any kind of Coke you can find or just skip it if you wish to and replace with Chicken Broth.
🤔 What are Carnitas?
Carnitas are simply Mexican spiced Pulled Pork. Pork Shoulders are traditionally used to make Carnitas because of high fat content in the meat. More Fat means More Flavors and juicy meat, even after getting cooked.
Carnitas are super versatile. I have made Carnitas Tacos.
However, Carnitas can be served inside Burritos, Quesadillas, Tostadas, Nachos, Burrito Bowls, Salads and even on its own with some Lime and Cilantro over it.
😋 Crispy Pork Carnitas
Pork Carnitas are juicy while being crispy around the edges. This recipe for Pork Carnitas is NO FAIL.
Just dump and cook in the slow cooker. And while you're back at it, just shred it and serve. 😋😋
Top with some Red Radishes, Pickled Red Onions, Cilantro, Lime Juice or Pico De Gallo & Guacamole and serve!
This is the most commonly found dish in Mexican food trucks around the South West! And its SOO DELICIOUS!!!!
🥘 Ingredients needed to make Carnitas Tacos
- Pork Shoulder
Authentic Carnitas Seasoning
- Ground Cumin
- Dried Oregano
- Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic cloves (pressed)
- Bay Leaves (dried)
- Lime Juice
- Orange Juice
See recipe card for quantities.
🧑🍳 How to make Crispy Pork Carnitas Tacos
Here's a step by step guide on how to make Crispy Pork Carnitas. You can use Carnitas to serve over Tostadas or with Nachos, Salads, Burrito Bowls, basically everything!
STEP 1: PREP THE PORK
- Cut Pork Shoulder into 4" cubes.
- Rinse and pat dry the Pork with kitchen towels.
- Dump them in a greased slow cooker.
STEP 2: ADD THE SEASONINGS
- Add the seasonings over it
- Toss to combine everything
- Cover and cook over low heat for 8-10 hours.
STEP 3: SHRED THE MEAT
- After 7-8 hours of cooking, use two forks to shred the meat.
STEP 4: CRISP THE MEAT
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers add the shredded Pork to it.
- Pour 1 ladle full (about 1 cup) of the leftover juice from the slow cooker over the shredded pork.
- Toss to combine. Cook until the juices reduce and the meat gets crispy. OR Broil for 5 to 10 min on high heat until the meat gets crispy.
- Mix with freshly chopped Cilantro.
- Serve over warmed Corn or Flour Tortillas with Mexican Slaw, Pico De Gallo and Guacamole on top.
If you are making a large batch, then double the recipe. Just add the salt in the end as per taste.
You an use Pork Loin as well. However add more Coke or Broth since this is leaner protein.
To freeze leftover Carnitas, place in an airtight bag in a freezer friendly bag in the freezer. You can freeze this for 4-6 months.
To reheat, add in a stove top and heat over low heat until heated through. Or, reheat in the microwave.
💯 FAQs in Brief
Why is my Pork extra liquidy?
Pork Shoulder is a very juicy meat and it releases a lot of juices while cooking. If you add a lot of Orange Juice and Coke, it won't dry out in the slow cooker and you will have very liquidy shredded pork. So use only mentioned amount of OJ & Coke.
Can I make Carnitas in the Instant Pot?
Yes of course. Just add the Pork along with the seasonings, OJ & Coke. Cover with lid and pressure cook for 10 min. Allow the pressure to release naturally...
Once cooked, shred the Pork and use.
🇲🇽 More Mexican Recipes
- The Best Beef Barbacoa
- Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos (in slow cooker)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tinga
- Ground Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Blackened Salmon Tacos
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Red Chicken Enchiladas
Carnitas Tacos - Crock Pot Pork Carnitas
- 2 lbs Pork Shoulders
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano use Mexican Oregano
- 3 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 medium size Lime juiced
- 1 Bay Leaf dried
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Coke use Mexican Coke
- Cut the Pork Shoulders into 4" cubes. Pat dry with a kitchen towel. Dump them in a greased slow cooker.
- Add the seasoning over it. Toss to combine. Pour the orange juice and Coke over it.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 7-8 hours.
- After it gets cooked for 7-8 hours, remove the Pork from the slow cooker and transfer to a plate. Shred using two forks.
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers add the shredded Pork to it. Pour 1 ladle full (about 1 cup) of the leftover juice from the slow cooker over the shredded pork. Toss to combine.
- Cook until the juices reduce and the meat gets crispy. OR Broil for 5 to 10 min on high heat until the meat gets crispy.
- Heat Tortillas until warm and pliable. Add Mexican slaw in it. Top with shredded Carnitas. Top with Pico De Gallo and Guacamole. Drizzle lime juice and chopped cilantro on top and serve.
Ask Me Anything