American Flag Cherry Blueberry Pie - Indulge yourself in the Fourth of July celebrations with this decadent American Flag Pie.
American Flag Cherry Blueberry Pie
Th recipe for a patriotic cherry blueberry pie is inspired by the American Flag. The red, white and blue pie features a cute blueberry flag on top.
Use a cookie cutter to cut out small stars and what you'll have is something that is perfect to celebrate America's Birthday. Also try these easy & Delicious 4th of July Appetizers For Patriotic Day Party
Tart-y Blueberries & Sweet Red Cherries
This easy and decadent American Flag Pie is made of sweet red cherries and tart blueberries.
Served in a crispy, buttery pie crust with the quintessential lattice and small stars this taste irreplaceably good.
All you have to do is use regular American staples like Cherries, Blueberries, and a Hearty crust to make this delectable Pie.
For Cherry Blueberry Pie
Cherry Blueberry Pie Filling
- Sweet Cherries (pitted)
- Fresh Blueberries
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Ground Cinnamon
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make American Flag Pie
This is a step by step explanation in the form of collage.
- STEP 1: Make the Pie Crust
It's always recommended that you make Pie crust at home. To Make the Pie Crust buttery, flaky, and something that lasts the test of time I like to use both shortening and butter. Is pie crust better with butter or shortening? Is pie crust the same as puff pastry? Find that out here
But for any reason if you aren't able to do so. Don't fret. Just use a store bought pie crust (the one that you like).
- STEP 2: Make American Flag Pie Filling
We'll keep the filling for American Flag Pie pretty simple. As you can guess from the photos, we'll need less of blueberry pie filling and more of cherry pie filling.
Depending on the size of your pie, you can decide how much to make each.
- STEP 3: Divide the filling in two parts
Combine fresh blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a bowl.
In a separate bowl combine fresh cherries, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- STEP 4: Separate the filling with Aluminium Foil
Fold an Aluminium Foil few times and then use it as a separator to divide the blueberry pie filling and cherry pie filling. We'll remove it before baking.
- STEP 5: Decorate the Pie in the Form of American Flag
Use the leftover pie dough to make the American Flag strips and stars. I like to use a small cookie cutter to cut out the stars. My go-to is a cookie cutter of at least 1.5 inch size.
- STEP 6: Bake and enjoy
Top the Pie with flag strips and stars. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until the pie sets.
Allow Pie to cool down completely (at least 4-5 hours) and then cut them into slices.
HINT: Keep in mind that you cannot pour the entire filling directly into the pie base. Skip the liquid. Just spoon the filling.
- Strawberries - Not into cherries? Try this recipe with strawberries. Here is how to make Strawberry Pie Filling.
- Blackberries - Along with Blueberries you can use Blackberries as well. Or you can simply replace blueberries with blackberries.
You can make this Flag Pie Ahead of time and store it for a long time.
To Make it ahead of time:
- Make the Pie crust, wrap it tightly in a plastic wrap and store it for up to 3 months.
- Make the Cherry Pie Filling and Blueberry Pie filling separately and store it covered tightly in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Store the filling in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
To Store Leftovers:
- Allow the Pie to cool down completely. Cut them into slices and store them in an airtight container. Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- You can also store leftover American Flag Pie in the Freezer for 3-4 months. Cut your Pie into slices and wrap each slice using an Aluminium Foil and a Plastic wrap. Make sure you thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
- Make homemade pie crust for best taste and flavor. Here's the recipe.
- Make sure you use cold unsalted butter to make the homemade pie crust.
- Cold ingredients are a MUST when you want to make a flaky and buttery Pie crust.
- Always use a combination of Shortening and Butter to make the Pie crust.
- Combine Cornstarch and Sugar along with Fresh Blueberries & Fresh Cherries to make the best Blueberry Pie filling and Cherry Pie Filling.
- Don't Skip Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice. They are the secret ingredient that adds flavor and taste to the Pie filling.
- You can add some Almond Extract to add more flavor to your Pie Filling.
- Don't pour the Pie filling directly into the pie crust. Because if you pour it directly the liquid (juice) will fall into the pie crust.
- Make sure you spoon the pie filling into the pie crust.
- Fold the Aluminium Foil a few times a couple of times to separate the filling.
- Thaw the pie crust (whether you are using store bought or homemade pie crust).
- Use a cookie cutter of at least 1.5 inches to cut out stars for the American Flag.
More 4th of July Recipes
- July 4th fruit kabobs
- July 4th Funfetti Cupcakes
- Blueberry Pie Cups with Meringue
- Summer No Bake Berry Lasagna Dessert
- American Flag Fruit Pizza - Red, White and Blue Dessert Pizza
American Flag Cherry Blueberry Pie
- Homemade Pie Crust this recipe makes 2 pie crusts (one for bottom and one for design)
- 4 cups Dark Sweet Cherries about 400 grams (halved)
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries about 100 grams
- 2-3 tablespoons Lemon Juice divided
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- ½ cup Cornstarch about 65 grams
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar about 130 grams
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Coarse Sugar to sprinkle on top
Prepare the Crust
- Prepare the Pie crust as per the instructions.
Prepare the American Pie Filling
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine fresh blueberries with ⅓ cup cornstarch, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, 1 teaspoon Lemon zest. ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon and set aside in the refrigerator for few minutes.
- In a separate large mixing bowl combine dark sweet cherries with remaining cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and ground cinnamon. set aside in the refrigerator for few minutes.
Make American flag Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180°C
- On a floured surface roll out half of the chilled pie dough. Keep the other half in the refrigerator. Turn the dough after every rotation until it reaches a diameter of 12 inches. Place the rolled dough into a 9x2 inch pie dish. Fold an aluminium foil twice or thrice and place them in the pie dish. Make a 9'o clock sign on the pie dish. 🕘
- Spoon the blueberry filling in the small half and the cherry pie filling in the bigger half. Don't pour the entire filling directly into the pie dish.
Make American Flag on the Pie
- Roll out the remaining Pie dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Cut out 2-inch strips which are at least 6-inches long, using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife. Arrange the strips over the cherry pie filling.
- Use a small 1.5 inch cookie cutter to cut out small stars. Arrange the stars over the blueberry pie filling. Use a small knife to trim off excess dough from the sides. Crimp and Flute the edges.
- Brush the top of the flag pie with egg wash. Sprinkle coarse sugar if you want.
- Place the american flag pie on a large baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow the Pie to cool down completely for at least 5 hours before cutting them into slices and serving.