American Flag Fruit Pizza in Red, White, and Blue Colors makes a perfect Patriotic Day dessert. Made with a Sugar Cookie Crust at the bottom and topped with thick Heavy Cream and Sugar frosting, this American Flag Fruit Pizza is made with Blueberries and pitted Cherries! The star is a cute Star-shaped Sugar Cookie which is brushed with heavy cream and sugar frosting.
American Flag Fruit Pizza
Fruit Pizza is one of my favorite summer dessert recipes. Especially on BBQ Dinner nights or on the 4th of July, this is one of the most commonly made recipes in my home. This July 4th special - Red, White, and Blue dessert Pizza is a traditional Pizza recipe, which I have been making for about 6-7 years now for my 4th of July party.
I cannot imagine a single Summer where I did not make this awesome recipe. On the 4th of July or Labour day or Memorial day, this is an easy to make dessert recipe that everyone enjoys a lot!
This year, I made this American Flag Fruit Pizza with Pitted Cherries and Frozen Blueberries. I generally make this recipe with cut up Strawberries, but due to lack of ingredients, I tried it with Cherries and it turned out so cute!
I think making July 4th recipes is so easy. You just need to have those gorgeous Patriotic Day colors. My kids love fruit colors so, I use fresh fruits as much as possible for flavoring and coloring my desserts and recipes. However, you can use food color as well.
The base for this Pizza is just a big Sugar Cookie Crust. All you got to do is make a big Sugar Cookie and bake it until it turns golden brown. I hade a pre-made Sugar Cookie crust made. So, I just dusted my plate with flour and placed this Giant sugar cookie and baked it at 400 F for 8 minutes. After it got baked, I cooled it down before I used it ahead.
You can also use a regular pizza base. However, be sure to flatten it out by rolling it on your rolling board and then bake it for 7-8 minutes at 350 F.
See these red Cherries? Aren't these so cute? I got them fresh from my garden. It's abundant here this season. I pit my cherries by making two holes at both its base and I poke the pit with a toothpick or chopstick. It's really easy to do and you don't waste any flesh of the cherries.
This is how your Whipped Cream and Sugar frosting is going to look! Not too thick and not too thin either. You can add any flavor you wish to here. I also add some lemon zest sometimes for that fresh lemony taste 🙂
For the frosting, you can use any frosting you love. You can either use a Cream Cheese, Vanilla Sugar Frosting, or a Heavy Cream and Sugar Frosting.
I have made this recipe with both and both these fristing tastes equally good. The Cream Cheese frosting is a lot more Cheesy, while the Heavy Cream Frosting is light and creamier!
Next, it's time to add the fruits. Since I am making a July 4th Pizza so I added Blueberries and Pitted Cherries. If you're making for any other occasion or just for fun, you can really go to town on this and use any variety of colorful fruits you love.
After you're done with the Topping for the star, you can roll out a Sugar Cookie dough and cut out a star shape using a star shape cookie cutter. Place this cookie in a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 350F. Once it gets done, cool it down before you place it on your Fruit Pizza. Meanwhile, you should keep the Pizza in the refrigerator. It'll allow the frosting to settle in!
You can place the Star-shaped Sugar Cookie on the top of your Pizza and brush some Heavy cream and Sugar frosting over it. Chill your American Fah Fruit Pizza for an hour or half before you cut it and serve.
So, that's how you make the best Patriotic Day Fruit Pizza. This is so colorful and so exciting! And trust me a Fruit Pizza with a Sugar cookie crust is a really great idea. You should definitely try this recipe for the 4th of July desserts!
American Flag Fruit Pizza
Sugar Cookie Crust
- 1 Cup AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 whole Egg
- ½ Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
Fruit Pizza Topping
- 1½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- ½ Cup Cherries pitted
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the Egg and Vanilla Extract and mix well. Add the dry ingredients - Flour, Baking Soda and Baking powder and mix well into a soft cookie dough. Cover it in cling wrap and refrigerate it for 30-40 minutes.Line a 12-inch baking pan and press the dough on it to make a circle. You can save some Cookie dough and cut out a star shape and bake it later.Preheat the oven to 350F bake your Sugar Cookie crust for about 18-20 minutes or until it gets light brown from the top. Cool the Sugar Cookie Completly before you do the frosting
- Whisk the Heavy Whipping Cream and Sugar for 3-4 minutes and low to medium speed until it turns light and fluffy. Don't overbeat or you'll knock off all the air.Spread this over your Sugar Cookie Crust and even the layer.
- Top the Pizza with a circle of Blueberries on the edge. Make a small square of Blueberries on the top and make horizontal rows of Red Cherries beside it. Keep the fruits close by for a complete and elegant look.
- Bake the star-shaped sugar cookie for 10 minutes. Cool it down and then top it over the pizza. Brush with some leftover frosting and serve chilled.
- Chill the Sugar Cookie Crust Dough. It'll make your Sugar cookies perfect.
- Chill the fruit pizza for at least an hour before you serve it.
- You can make this with any fruit you love.
- You can also use Cream Cheese, Granulated Sugar, and Vanilla Frosting.
- To pit the Cherries, take a toothpick or a Chopstick. Make 2 holes at each end of the cherry and push out the pit. The pit will come out easily!
- You can use cut up Strawberries or Raspberries in place of cherries as well.
Wowed by the recipe!! So so so cute and fun to make!!