Cherry Pie is a favorite summer dessert. Made with bright Red Sweet Cherries, Almond Extract, Sugar, and Cornstarch, this Cherry Pie filling is easy to make and takes minutes to prepare.
The all-butter pie crust and the lattice top is the best part about this Sweet Cherry Pie giving it that perfect buttery crust and a sweet sweet filling which is bursting with summer flavors of Cherry and Almond..!
This is the best Cherry Pie, which I grew up eating and today I am so honored to share this family recipe with y'all... 🥰
Summers are the best time of the year for all of us, and for many reasons. For me, I get excited about the fresh produce.
The Cherries, Berries, and Fresh Fruits in the market always call out to me. And what's a better way to use fresh berries than make pies right! Try my favorite Blueberry Pie!
I love to use bright red sweet Rainier Cherries for my Cherry Pie recipe. They are naturally sweet and juicy and full of flavors. You can use dried Cherries or frozen Cherries as well for this recipe. It works perfectly fine.
Cherries are my favorite summer fruits. Sure, it's tarty and sour, but with a little bit of effort, you can turn these beauties into the best and sweetest pie of the summers.
I think it's always a great time to enjoy Pies. Be it the all-time favorite like a Brownie Pie or the Summer favorites like Blueberry or Strawberry or Peach Pie or the fall favorites like Pumpkin or Apple or a holiday special like Sweet Potato Pie or Chocolate Chess Pie or a perfect Pecan Bourbon Pie.
I genuinely think that baking is a science and if you skip out on anything or miss one step, the end result is just disastrous.
However, Baking Pie is just the easiest. In fact, I started baking with Pies..! It's just an easy dump-and-forget dessert recipe and always pleases the crowd. And when it's about cherries, it's always a fun treat for everyone...!
Have you tried my
- Cherry Lemon Cheesecake Chimichangas
- Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Cherry Crumble with Oats Almond Butter Streusel
- Mini Cherry Tarts
- Cherry Almond Galette
- Cherry Lemon Brioche Rolls with Lemon Whipped Cream
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Let's Talk Taste
Cherry Pie has a sweet and tarty taste to it. The sweetness of the sugar along with that hint of lemon juice makes the filling super delicious.
Also, the best part is, of course, the taste of Almond in every bite. Almond extract truly flavors the cherries brilliantly making this Pie taste so good.
FOR THE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- Sweet Cherries (pitted)
- Granulated Sugar
- Almond Extract
- Lemon Juice
FOR THE PIE
- All Butter Pie dough
- Coarse Sugar (to sprinkle on top)
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: MAKE THE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- Combine pitted Cherries with Sugar, Lemon Juice, Almond Exrract and Cornstarch in a mixing bowl. Toss until well combined. Allow it to stand for 30 minutes.
STEP 2: ROLL THE CRUST
- Lightly dust the counter with flour
- Cut the Pie diugh in half
- Roll the bottom crust to about 1/2 inch thickness and 9 inches witdth for a 9-10 inch pan
- Place in the pie dish and use a scissor to trim off the excess hanging out of the pie dish.
- Refrigerate until you make the lattice top.
STEP 3: ROLL THE TOP CRUST
- Roll the top crust in the same way like you just baked the bottom crust
- If you want to make lattice, then follow these instructions
STEP 4: FILL THE PIE
- Pour the Cherry Pie filling in the pie plate. You can use a slotted spoon to pick up the cherries. You donot need to use the leftover liquid. You can discard it.
- Top the pie with the top crust. Use a sharp knife or scissors to trim off the edges. Also, Use your thumb or a fork to crimp the edges.
- If you're making a lattice top, then make sure that the top lattice threads are sealed properly with the crust. Donot leave them hanging on the top.
STEP 5: BAKE THE PIE
- Bake the Pie in a 400F Preheated oven for 30 minutes. Place the Pie in the middle rack and place a parchement paper below the pie dish to catch the drippings.
- After the pie gets baked for 30 minutes, reduce the temperature by 10 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Allow the Pie to cool down for atleast an hour before you serve them.
Hint: For a perfectly baked Cherry Pie, this length of time is extremely essential. You cannot cut it short. Also, baking the Cherry Pie for this long is going to get that gorgeous golden-brown crust to the pie.
How to make Thick Cherry Pie Filling?
Is your Cherry Pie filling runny? Then worry not because I have got the perfect solution for you. To thicken out a runny Cherry Pie filling, just cook it for 3-4 minutes over medium-low heat in a pot. As the pie filling gets cooked, the excess water is going to dry off leaving you with a thick pie filling, perfect for use.
Do I need to cook store-bought Canned Cherry Pie Filling?
No, you do not need to cook canned Cherry Pie Filling. You can use it as-is for your Cherry Pie recipe.
How to fix a runny Cherry Pie filling?
As I said, you can cook it for some time or just toss some more Cornstarch. Cornstarch will absorb all the excess moisture from the cherry pie filling, making it thick and perfect for use.
What enhances Cherry Flavor?
Almond Extract and Lemon juice which I have used in the Cherry Pie filling, literally increases the flavors of sweet cherries, ten folds. Especially, Almond and Cherry are like a match made in heaven. That nutty hint of Almond Extract is something you'll taste the moment you bite into this cherry pie and it's surely a treat!!!
Does Cherry Pie Filling freeze well?
Yes, you can freeze Cherry Pie filling easily. You can also refrigerate this for up to 3-4 weeks.
Do you need to thicken canned cherry pie filling?
No. the Canned Cherry Pie filling is already thick because they add Pectin, which acts as a thickening agent in the pie filling.
How to use Cherry Pie filling?
Besides, using them to make Pies, you can use the Cherry Pie filling to for pretty much everything. To top over Cheesecakes, Pancakes, Cherry Crisp, Waffles, Yogurt Parfaits, Ice Creams, etc..
You can store this Cherry Pie in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
To freeze Cherry Pie, wrap individual pieces with plastic foil and then again with aluminum foil or newspaper, you do not want any ice crystals formed.
Freeze this for up to 4 months.
OTHER SUMMER DESSERTS RECIPES
- No-Bake Mini Blackberry Cheesecake (Vegan)
- Summer No Bake Berry Lasagna Dessert
- Summer Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich
- Best Homemade Blueberry Pie
The Best Sweet Cherry Pie
Cherry Pie Filling
- 4 cups Sweet Cherries pitted
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
For the Pie
- 1 Pie dough (for the bottom crust and lattice top) see recipe for pie crust below.
- Flour to dust on the surface
- 1 Large Egg beaten
- Coarse Sugar for topping (optional)
- In a bowl, combine Granulated Sugar, Pitted Cherries, Lemon Juice, Almond Extract, and Cornstarch. Toss until combined through. (If the filling is too watery, then you might want to cook it in a pan over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes or until it thickens, cool it down, and then use it. ) If using Canned Cherry Pie filling, skip this step.
- Dust the rolling surface with flour. Cut the Pie dough in half. To make the bottom crust, roll the dough to about 9-10 inches width and 1/2 inch thickness. Place it on the pie dish and refrigerate it until further use.
- Now, make the top crust. Since we are making lattice here, so, roll it just like you rolled the top crust. Now, use a sharp knife or cutter or a Pizza Wheel, to cut out a square. Now, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide strips.
- Pour the Cherry Pie filling into the pie dish. Lay the strips parallelly with about 1/2 inch gap in between them. Now, weave the strips by picking out alternate Parallel strips and laying one Perpendicular strip. Now, fold the parallel strip which is running below the Perpendicular strip and lay the second perpendicular strip. Weave until you have used up all the strips and knitted the pie. Brush Eggwash over the lattice top. Top with some Coarse sugar (optional). Freeze the pie for 30 minutes and then Bake in a 400F preheated oven for 30 minutes. Place the pie dish in the middle rack and place parchment paper below the pie dish to catch all the drippings. After it gets baked for 30 minutes, reduce the temperature by 10 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Cool the pie for at least an hour before serving.