Nacho Cheese Sauce - Butter and Flour is whisked until foamy. Milk is added and is simmered until it coats the back of a spoon. Finally, shredded Cheddar is stirred in until it melts and the sauce becomes thick. Then you just season it with Salt, Pepper, and Paprika and your Nacho Cheese Sauce is ready in a jiff.
Well, finally we are nearing Game Day. It's this weekend. And, I cannot tell you how excited I am about it. And, the recipe that comes in handy to please the crowd is this 5-minute Nacho Cheese Sauce.
Generally, it is made with a big block of Velveeta. But it's crazy how we can surprise ourselves in the kitchen with just a few ingredients. Freshly shredded Cheddar Cheese works really well for this Nacho Cheese Sauce and brings that creaminess, that cheesiness, and that much-loved happiness
Do you know what would pair really well with this Sauce? It's Nacho Cheese Dorito Chicken Casserole.
Ingredients Needed to Make Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- Shredded Cheddar
- Seasoning - Salt, Pepper, and Smoked Paprika
- My Secret Ingredient - Hot Sauce (Just to make it a tad bit spicy)
There are a billion ways to spice up this Cheese Sauce. You can spice it up by adding some Cayenne Pepper. You can also use Garlic Powder to bring a flavorful garlik-y touch to your Cheese Sauce. You could also add some Ground cumin to bring a Mexican touch to this Nacho Cheese Sauce.
How to Make Nacho Cheese Sauce? Step By Step Photos
- Add Butter & Flour in a skillet: DO NOT add butter and wait for it to melt. Add Butter and Flour simultaneously. Make sure you use EQUAL QUANTITIES OF FLOUR & BUTTER for best results. FYI: This is called Roux.
- Pour Milk: Now pour some milk into your sauce. I generally use whole milk for this step. You can replace it with 2% milk.
- Season: Now you are free to play with the seasoning. Besides, Salt and Pepper, you can add Smoked paprika or Cayenne Pepper. You can also add Ground Cumin (if you'd like your Nacho Cheese Sauce to be sort of Mexican).
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Finally, turn off the heat, add in shredded Cheddar Cheese and stir well until the sauce thickens and becomes a sort of Cheesy, Creamy and you know - all those good words...
Tips to Make the Best Cheese Sauce:
Though this recipe sounds easy, you should definitely read through these tips for success.
- Use Equal Quantity of Flour and Butter. When you use an equal quantity of flour and butter you make the best roux.
- Use Whole Milk for best results. I have never tried this with 1% or 2% milk. But, in my opinion, whole milk works the best.
- Take it off the heat and then add Cheese. Make sure that you take the Cheese Sauce off the heat and then add in your Cheddar Cheese.
- Always Shred Fresh Cheddar Cheese. Freshly Shredded Cheddar Cheese is just what you should use for this cheese sauce. Pre shredded Cheddar Cheese has got powdered cellulose in it. Powdered Cellulose prevents caking. If you use Pre-shredded Cheddar Cheese your Cheese Sauce will get grainy and won't be as smooth and silky as seen in the picture.
- If it looks too thick then add some milk or boiling water and stir it in.
Brilliant Ideas to Spice up your Cheese Sauce:
- Hot Sauce: Wanna bring in more flavors to your Cheese Sauce, try adding your favorite Hot sauce in it. It's gonna be amazing.
- Canned Diced Green Chilies: Wanna heat up your cheese sauce? Go ahead and add some Canned Diced Green Chilies.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: Bring a savory taste and texture to your Cheese Sauce by adding some canned Diced tomatoes.
- Ground Cumin: Bring in a Mexican taste to your Cheese Sauce by adding some ground Cumin. Ground Cumin brings in an earthy tone to the recipe.
- Jalapeños: Garnish with freshly chopped jalapeños and spice up your Nacho Cheese Sauce.
Other recipes you might like:
- Baked Buttermilk Biscuit Wreath Dip
- Cheesy Jalapeño Cheddar Spice Dip
- Spiced Nuts Sweet Potato Cheesecake Dip
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos in Air Fryer
- Crispy Honey Garlic Cauliflower Bowls
- Ranch Cheddar Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag us @recipemagik.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoon Flour
- 2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1½ Cup Freshly Shredded Mild Cheddar
- 2 Teaspoon Hot Sauce use your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika can replace with Cayenne Pepper
- In a skillet add Butter and Flour simultaneously. Whisk to combine until it turns bubbly. This takes about 2-minutes over medium heat.
- Pour Milk and whisk well. Turn up the heat and allow milk to come to a gentle boil. Whisk for at least 4-5 minutes until your sauce thickens.
- Take it off the heat. Stir in Freshly Grated Cheddar Cheese. Once cheese melts add in your favorite Hot Sauce, Salt, Freshly Cracked Black pepper, and Smoked Paprika. Taste the seasoning and adjust as needed. If the sauce looks too thick then add some milk or boiling water.
- Serve this over tortilla chips or pretzels.
- If your cheese sauce looks too thick then add some milk or boiling water
- Do not wait for butter to melt and then add flour. Add both flour and butter together.
- Use Equal Quantity of Flour and Butter for best results.
- You can also add Ground Cumin for an earthy tone and texture.
Ask Me Anything