Chicken Tikka Masala is a rich and spicy Indian Chicken recipe where you can taste the sweet and tangy tomato gravy marinate over the charred chickens. The juicy, chewy and soft chicken coated in the delectable chicken tikka masala sauce tastes heavenly. Serve this with Fried Rice or Soft Homemade Naan Bread
Also try Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe - Slow Cooker
Other Indian Chicken Recipe - Biryani Recipe
Chicken Tikka Masala Origin
Chicken Tikka Masala has an interesting story behind it. Many say that this is an Indian recipe. Some argue that this is a Pakistani recipe and some have no clue about it.
But, after a lot of research and actually talking to food historians of this big vast culinary world, I have finally found the Origin story.
Chicken Tikka Masala was discovered in a Pakistani restaurant named - Sheesh Mahal in Glasgow, Scotland.
The story is that there was a tired bus driver or probably a taxi driver who sat in this restaurant digging in some chicken with his father on the other side. He was unhappy with his chicken so his dad suggested he add in some tomato soup which he was having. And, that is how the Chicken Tikka Masala was originated.
Love Tikka Masala? Also try these Vegan Tikka Masala recipes
Let's Make the Best Chicken Tikka Masala
This tantalizing chicken recipe is not complete without some rice. You can even enjoy it with some stuffed Kulcha or Naan.
The dominant taste about Chicken Tikka Masala is of the grilled chicken (also called Chicken tikka) and the sweet & savory tomato gravy.
My Chicken tikka recipe will always have some sweetness in it. I think a bit of sweetness enhances the flavors of the chicken.
If I am ever making Chicken for myself, I prefer grilling my chicken. I love those grilled lines on my chicken. Not only do they taste better but I really enjoy the taste of those charred parts.
I prefer that the juices of my gravy make way into my chicken. So that when I take a bite of the chicken, I taste the spicy, tangy, tomatoey sauce as well.
Hence, after I have grilled my chicken, I prefer soaking them in my gravy for as long as I can.
And, after I've added the grilled chicken in my Chicken tikka masala sauce I immediately cover the lid.
Now, put the flame on low. And, patiently wait for my chicken to soak up the sweet & spicy sauce. Moreover, this also makes sure that my chicken gets evenly cooked.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA (STEP BY STEP GUIDE)
STEP 1: MAKE THE MARINADE
- For the marination, make a paste of thick greek yogurt, turmeric, Cayenne Pepper, Coriander powder, Ground Cumin, Garam Masala, salt, and some Asian ginger-garlic paste.
- Coat the Chicken pieces with this spice mix in a large mixing bowl. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- After the Chicken rests, heat Olive Oil in a grill pan or a large skillet.
- Add the Chicken in batches and fry until they brown. Cook about 3 minutes per side.
- Cook the Chicken in batches. Do not crowd the pan.
STEP 2: MAKE THE CURRY
- Heat Butter in the same skillet. As the butter melts, add the chopped onion and cook them over medium high heat until they brown.
- Next, add the garlic and saute until fragrant for about a minute.
- Then add the ground spices - Turmeric, Ground Cumin, Coriander, & Garam Masala. Saute until fragrant for about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and scrape off anything that might have got stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, pour in the Diced Tomatoes along with salt and pepper
- Cook for about 5 minutes over medium high heat stirring occasionally.
- Now, use an immersion blender to blend everything until smooth. You can also use a traditional blender. Get the mixture out of the skillet and cool it down completely. Now, blend it in batches add some water until it gets smooth.
- Melt another butter in the same skillet. Now, gently pour the blended mixture.
- Stir in Heavy Cream and Sugar. Allow the curry to simmer for about 2 minute.
- Stir in the Grilled Chicken along with the pan juices. Pour Chicken Broth or water to thin out the sauce.
- Cover and let cook for about 10-15 minutes.
STEP 3: GARNISH & SERVE
- Garnish with a generous drizzle of Heavy Cream & freshly chopped Cilantro.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.
Can I cook this in the Crock Pot?
Of Course. Just cook the Chicken separately as I mentioned in step 1. Also, make the curry as I mentioned in Step 2.
Now, just dump the Curry and the Chicken in the Crockpot. Stir in Heavy Cream and Chicken Broth. Slow cook on Low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
Garnish with some more heavy cream and freshly chopped cilantro and serve.
You can easily store this in the refrigerator. After you've made this, allow it to cool down to room temp. Then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for about a week.
You can make the Tikka Masala Sauce and freeze it in an airtight jar. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and mix with chicken broth to make a fresh curry.
More Indian Chicken Curry Recipes
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry (KETO)
- Malabar Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe - Slow Cooker
- Authentic Indian Chicken Curry - Instant Pot or Skillet
- Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chicken Vindaloo in Instant Pot
- Chicken Korma Recipe || Shahi Chicken Korma
- Chicken Madras
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with Coconut Milk
- Chicken Pasanda
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- 1 lbs Boneless skinless Chicken cut into 1-inch pieces
For Chicken Marination or to coat chicken
- 2 tablespoon Greek Yogurt thick
- 2 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste or 1 inch ginger finely grated + 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Salt as per taste
- ½ Tbp Coriander Powder or use curry powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or Red Chili Powder you can reduce the quantity if you don't want it to be too spicy.
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tablespoon any neutral Oil to fry the chicken
For the Tikka Masala Sauce or Curry
- 1 Large Red Onions finely Chopped or diced
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes or 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- Salt You can add as per your taste.
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar You can add as per taste.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander or use curry powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup low sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- Cilantro or parsley freshly chopped
- Mix Greek Yogurt, Ginger Garlic Paste (or grated ginger and finely minced garlic), fresh lemon juice, salt, coriander powder (or curry powder), ground turmeric, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, and Garam masala in a small bowl. It will look like a paste. Do not add any water.
- Marinate or coat your boneless skinless chicken pieces with this mixture in a large mixing bowl. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Heat Oil in a large skillet or grill pan. Add the Chicken and cook until brown. (about 3 minutes per side). Cook the Chicken in batches. Once cooked, remove from the skillet and keep aside.
- In the same skillet, melt a stick of butter. As the butter melts, add the chopped onions and cook until they brown. Next, add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant for about a minute.
- Add the ground Spices - Ground Turmeric, Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander, Garam Masala and Cayenne Pepper. Saute for about 1 minutes until the raw smell of the spices goes away.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes along with salt. Cook for about 3 minutes. Next use an immersion blender to blend this tomato mixture into a puree or get it out if the skillet and blend using a high speed blender adding some water until smooth.
- Use a strainer to strain the sauce in a medium sized mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- Heat Butter in the same skillet. As the butter melts, add the blended and strainer sauce. Cook over medium high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in Chicken. Add in Chicken Broth. Cover cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and cook for about 1-minute.
- Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro or parsley. Serve with rice.
Wow! Brilliant recipe. The ingredients and the steps were simply perfect. Tikka masala turned out just the way I wanted it to be.