Zucchini Casserole - Creamy, Cheesy, Comforting Casserole recipe for dinner that is bursting with flavors! This Low Carb and Keto-Friendly Dinner Recipe is sure to be one of your favorite Summer Casserole Recipes.
That melty, bubbly cheese oozing out from the sides, those thinly sliced baked zucchinis, and that creamy sauce! All of these three make this one of the best recipes for dinner.
It goes without saying that the family will love this recipe. In fact, Kids are gonna enjoy this as much!
What I love about this Casserole
- Baked Zucchini
- Creamy Sauce
- Melty Ooey Gooey Mozzarella Cheese
- Creamy Parmesan Cheese
- The sweetness of Heavy Cream
Honestly, I had not imagined that this would turn out so amazing when I was making this. I mean, yeah. That's true.
It's really funny to think that. But, it's true. All I was thinking is - "Am I gonna love it? Where's the Cheese? I need to add more Cheese."
I like Cheesy Casseroles. In fact, I must say I LOVE cheesy Casseroles. Whenever I am making such casserole recipes for dinner, I starve myself until the recipe gets prepared. This is one of my weird innuendoes.
You know that feeling when you've been waiting for something to happen for a long time. And, then when finally that happens you are like - "Running" towards it (of course metaphorically, add some background music if you wish to)!
When I tasted it, I was like - "Woof! That literally blew my mind". Such an easy recipe but tastes so so so good.
There is the creaminess of the sauce, there is that cheesiness, and of course, you have baked zucchinis which tastes so awesome.
Baked Zucchini Casserole
Whenever it's summer we make Zucchini Casserole or any other Summer squash Casseroles at least twice in a week. Making Casseroles is just so easy. It's just putting together everything in one dish, topping it with cheese, and baking it to perfection.
But, the thing with Summer Squashes or Zucchini is that it contains a lot of water, and getting that water drained out is important.
How To Keep your Squash Casserole from Getting Watery
Summer Squash contains 95% water. And, that is the reason many people complain that their Squash Casserole has turned out watery.
But, what you can do is - Simply Squeeze out the water. The process is very simple.
- Season your Sliced Zucchini with Salt and Pepper.
- Allow them to sit on a double-layered paper towel for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- After 15 minutes, flip them over and allow them to sit for an additional 15-20 minutes.
There is no need to cover your Squash while they are sitting at room temperature. They will release water naturally.
- Next, fold the paper towel around the squash and squeeze out as much water as possible.
And, voila! Your Zucchini Casserole will NOT turn watery again. Wasn't that easy?
Ingredients Needed to Make this Recipe
- Salt and Pepper
- Heavy Cream
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make Low Carb Baked Zucchini Casserole
STEP 1: Season Zucchini
First, Season Zucchini slices with Salt and Pepper. Allow them to sit on a double-layered paper towel for 15-minutes. After 15-minutes, flip them over and let them sit for another 15-minutes. This time is important. It will help the Zucchini lose out its moisture content
STEP 2: Saute Onions and Garlic
In a skillet, add some butter. As the butter melts, add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute them for at least 30-seconds until they get fragrant
STEP 3: Add Heavy Cream, and Cheese
Next pour in Heavy Cream, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, and Grated Parmesan Cheese. Take it off the heat and stir well until the cheese melts.
I personally like to add some more Mozzarella Cheese on top for that ooey-gooey cheesy touch
STEP 4: Bake
Take a baking dish. Arrange your Sliced Zucchini in rows. Pour your cheese sauce. Spread it out. Bake at 450 degrees F for 20-minutes or until the cheese melts and is bubbly on top.
Can I Store any Leftovers?
I cannot see why you can't. The only thing to keep in mind:
- Make sure your casserole comes down to room temperature.
- Wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap.
- You can store this for at least 3-days.
- Before serving make sure you thaw it in the oven and bake it for few minutes to warm it through.
Other recipes you might like:
- KETO Zucchini Meatballs (No Breadcrumbs)
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice With Zucchini
- Keto Quinoa Zucchini Muffins (No Flour, No Sugar, No Oats)
- Simplest Roasted Zucchini with Spaghetti
- Low Carb Keto Zucchini Fritters without Flour
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Baked Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- 1½ Pounds Zucchini sliced ½"
- 1 Teaspoon Salt and Pepper Adjust as Per Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Medium-sized Onion Finely chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ⅔ Cup Mozzarella Cheese Shredded (divided)
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees F or 230 degrees C.
- Thinly Slice the Zucchini. Season it with Salt and Pepper. Allow it to sit for 15-minutes on a paper towel. After 15 minutes, flip your Zucchinis and allow them to sit for an additional 15-minutes. Use a paper towel to soak out excess moisture.
- Place the Sliced Zucchini in a baking dish in rows. Keep the dish aside.
- Heat Butter in a Skillet. Add Chopped Onions and minced Garlic. Saute until fragrant.
- Pour Heavy Cream and Stir until combined. Now add shredded Mozzarella Cheese and Grated Parmesan Cheese.Take it off the heat. And toss until the cheese melts.
- Pour Cheese Sauce over the Zucchini layer into the baking dish. Add some more Mozzarella Cheese on top. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20-minutes. Get it out from the oven and serve hot.
Ask Me Anything