The beautiful season of summers should not leave us without you not making these tasty savory zucchini muffins. These Low Carb and Keto Quinoa Zucchini Muffins are crunchy on the outside and equally moist, soft, and dense on the inside. There is a nutty flavor because of the Quinoa and the Zucchini combines really well with all the other ingredients.
I thought, enough with everything sweet. Today, I am gonna make a healthy zucchini muffin and I am not gonna use flour to make this. I know what you are thinking, this is some rookie trying to teach me that same old muffin recipe. But, wait, before you jump to a conclusion, let me tell you in brief how I have made them. You should also try these tasty Zucchini fritters made WITHOUT Flour and these Low Carb Zucchini Tater Tots. Both of them have been a HUGELY popular recipe in this blog. If you are looking for something more snacky recipe with zucchini then you should go with this Roasted Zucchini with Spaghetti its - Ummmaazing!
So, basically, what I have done is that I have used grounded quinoa in place of flour. I know you can use Almond flour as well. In fact, almond flour zucchini muffin is very popular these days. But, I wanted to give these muffins my own twist. So, there you go. Moreover, when you make it with quinoa you get a beautiful nutty texture.
Now, tell me you don't want to read more.
Zucchini season means enjoying some innovative and unique zucchini recipes. This recipe was not taught to me by anybody and I just discovered it while making it. I do this a lot. Many times when I am not really sure about what to make and whatnot, I often start my work as it is. In the process, I keep experimenting and the end result is something splendid.
Quinoa is the healthiest grain there is. Did you know you actually lose weight while enjoying this? It's got a nutty taste to it and is the perfect replacement for carbs in your everyday diet. If you haven't been using it. it's time to use this super-grain more often! It's really good.
For this Zucchini Muffins, you won't need sugar. Since I am trying to make this healthy so I am deliberately skipping everything high carb and non-keto. I have not used oats because I ran out of oats. But, you are more than welcome to add oats along with almond flour or Quinoa to make these zucchini muffins.
These Quinoa Zucchini Muffins have a spicy taste to it because of the Oregano and Chilli Flakes. These spices are totally optional although. These savory Zucchini muffins without Flour and without Cheese makes for a healthy morning breakfast. It's so easy to make and is so delicious!
How to Make Zucchini Muffins? An Overview
Make the Batter: First of all, you need to ground your quinoa to a fine powder. Into that, you need to add one large egg. Into that, you need to add grated zucchini, tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, red chili flakes, and just a tad bit of baking soda. Here we are flavoring the quinoa. The seasoning will make quinoa flavorful while the baking soda and egg will act as a baking agent. And lastly, for that tanginess, I have added the juice of a half lemon. It will be like that proverbial period to this recipe.
Baking the Muffins - Since there is not much baking needed here so, I have not baked them much. I have baked them at 350°F or 180°C for 6-7 minutes. Then I have reduced the temperature by 100 degrees and baked my zucchini muffins for an additional 7-8 minutes. I knew that they were done when the top was completely set.
Serve - While Serving I have used the most popular Keto ingredient - Butter and spread it out like you would do on bread on my muffins. It tastes YUM!
Some Fabulous Variations
- Cheddar Cheese - Just like zucchini cheddar bread you can make zucchini cheddar muffins. I just forgot to add cheese or else, today, this blog post would have been about that.
- Bell Peppers - Along with tomatoes chopped bell peppers would have added another layer of taste and crunch to these zucchini quinoa muffins.
- Oats - Many people like to add some oats on the top or while making the muffin filling. It helps them get that crunch and texture that we get from oats.
- Almond Flour - If you are not making this with flour then you can add Almond flour. It would make your muffins really tasty.
- Artificial Sweetener - If you prefer a little sweetness in these quinoa zucchini muffins then you can add some sugar or some artificial sweetener which is suitable for keto diet such as stevia leaf powder.
Zucchini Muffins without flour
- 1 Cup Quinoa Grounded
- ½ Cup Grated Zucchini about 1 large zucchini
- 1 Large Egg at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Cup Chopped Tomatoes about 1 large tomato
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice Juice of about ½ Lemon
- 2 teaspoon Crushed Oregano
- 2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes you can also replace this with 1 teaspoon or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper depending upon the heat you prefer.
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt or as per taste
- ½ teaspoon Grounded Black Pepper or as per taste
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a muffin pan with cupcake liner. If you don't want to use cupcake liner then grease with cooking spray or butter.
- Ground 1 cup quinoa and keep it aside. Grate zucchini and keep it aside. Chop 1 large tomato and keep it aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl add ground quinoa. egg, baking soda, grated zucchini, chopped tomatoes, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, red chili flakes, and squeeze the juice of 1 half a lemon. Use a spoon or a spatula to give all of them a good mix. Everything should mix together and you should not have dry quinoa at the bottom of the bowl.
- Use an Ice cream scoop or a spoon to scoop out muffin batter from the bowl and place equal portion of the filling into the pan. Bake them at 350°F for 6 minutes. Then reduce the temperature by 100° and bake them for an additional 8 minutes or until the top feels completely firm when checked by hand. Take them out and cool them down on a wire rack.
- Serve with some melted butter spread on top.
- Since this is a No Cheese Savory Zucchini Muffins I have not used Cheddar Cheese. You can add 1/2 cup of Grated Cheddar to this recipe.
- In the place of Quinoa, you can use Almond Flour or your favorite Gluten-free flour as well.