Summer Yellow Squash Casserole is a hearty and comforting Southern Casserole recipe. Yellow Squash, Zucchini and Onions are arranged in alternating layers and topped with Ritz Cracker Crumbs and Cheddar Cheese. Its a perfect side dish for the family and tastes especially good beside Summer BBQ dishes.
- What is Southern Squash Casserole?
- How do you make Paula Deen's Squash Casserole
- How do you keep Squash Casserole from getting watery?
- Do you put eggs in Squash Casserole?
- What can I do with a lot of Squash?
- Do you peel Yellow Squash before cooking?
- Recipe Variations
- More Squash Recipes
- Top tips to make the Best Squash Casserole
- Easy Summer Squash Casserole
What is Southern Squash Casserole?
A Squash Casserole is something which probably everyone has made at least once. Its so popular int he south and probably has so many varieties to make the same. Typically this is what a Squash Casserole features.
- Squash - it is either Yellow Squash and sometimes Zucchini is also used interchangeably.
- Onions - we love to add Onions to the mix
- A creamy base - A creamy base is a common part in every Squash Casserole generally made with milk, eggs and Mayonnaise / Sour Cream.
- Cracker & Cheese topping - this is my favorite part. Love how the cracker crumbs keeps this Squash Casserole from getting soggy.
- Yellow Squash sliced (about 6 cups)
- Whole Milk
- Cheddar Cheese grated
- Crushed Ritz Crackers
- Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Thyme optional
- Cayenne Pepper optional
See recipe card for quantities.
How do you make Paula Deen's Squash Casserole
Well in full honesty, I too am a big fan of hers but no one can make as good as hers. My recipe is my own and somewhat similar but it tastes so good! So here's how to make my version of the famous Southern Squash Casserole recipe.
Cut the Squash and Onions into thin slices. Throw them in a big pot, add water and cover cook for 4-5 min over medium high heat.
After the Squash gets cooked, drain and set aside.
Combine Ritz Cracker Crumbs and Shredded Cheddar Cheese in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Whisk together Eggs, Whole Milk, Mayonnaise, Salt & Pepper in a mixing jar and set aside.
Arrange the cooked veggies in alternating motion in the baking dish.
Add some of the ritz cracker and cheese mixture after one layer and then top with the other layer.
Pour the milk and eggs mixture over it.
Top with rest of the cracker & cheese mixture. Place in the preheated oven and bake @400F for 20 min.
Once this gets cooked, get it out of the oven, let it rest for about 5-10 min and serve!
How do you keep Squash Casserole from getting watery?
The only and the best trick I always use is to cook the Squash in advance. You can either saute them in a skillet or even better cook them in a closed lid saucepan.
Cooking the Squash before baking them in the casserole, releases extra moisture from them.
Also don't forget the cracker crumbs topping over the Squash Casserole. It really makes a difference in taste and texture of this Yellow Squash Casserole.
Do you put eggs in Squash Casserole?
Yes, I put Eggs in my Yellow Squash Casserole because it really acts like a thickening agent in the casserole and doesn't get it get watery!
What can I do with a lot of Squash?
This is the most common problem we all face. Especially every July I get this huge chunk of Squash from the store and need recipes to make them.
Besides this here are some more Summer Squash recipes you might love.
Do you peel Yellow Squash before cooking?
NO. Yellow Squash has a very thin skin which gets cooked right upon boiling or sauteing. So you do not need to peel the skin of Yellow Squash before cooking.
Store leftover Summer Squash Casserole in an airtight container. Refrigerate this for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in the microwave and serve hot.
Freeze: Yes absolutely! Summer Squash Casserole is a perfect make ahead casserole. Bake it, cool it down to room temp. cover with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. You can freeze this for up to a month.
Reheat - Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving!
- Zucchini - instead yellow Squash you can use Zucchini as well. Or you can use both Zucchini and Yellow Squash like I did.
- Sour Cream Base - instead of Mayonnaise you can use thick and creamy Sour Cream. Its very commonly substituted with Mayonnaise. But I personally love the Mayo version!
- Pulsed Squash - many southerns dice the Squash and many slice it.Many even pulse it into a fine puree along with onions using a food processor. Then they add other ingredients and make the casserole.
- Gold Medal Flour - a perfect replacement for cracker crumbs in Gold Medal Flour, which is so commonly used. You can combine it with shredded cheddar cheese and top over the casserole.
- Cornmeal - I also sometimes add some Cornmeal to the Casserole. I usually add it in the milk mixture. I whisk it until combined and add to the Summer Squash Casserole. This acts like a thickening agent and also improves the taste a LOT!
- Spices & Herbs - a bit of Dried Thyme and some Cayenne Pepper acts as a perfect spice to this Summer Squash Casserole.
More Squash Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- (20-min) Sheet Pan Roasted Sausage & Veggies (keto)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Butternut Squash Fettuccine Alfredo
- 26 BEST Acorn Squash Recipes
Top tips to make the Best Squash Casserole
- Use unsalted Butter - if you are using Butter to combine Ritz Crackers and Cheddar Cheese, then I would prefer to use Unsalted Butter
- Smaller Squash - I always prefer to use small and fat Squash as they are seedless and full of taste.
- Shred your own Cheese - I would prefer that you shred your own cheese.
- Mandolin Slicer - The best way to slice Squash is to use a Mandolin Slicer. You get thin slices which are perfect for this recipe.
Easy Summer Squash Casserole
- 4 small Yellow Squash sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 small Zucchini sliced
- 1 small Onion sliced
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- ¾ cup Crushed Ritz Crackers about 18 Ritz Crackers
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme optional
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the Squash, Zucchini and onions using a Mandolin Slicer or dice thinly using a sharp knife. Bring a pot of water to boil in a saucepan. Add the chopped veggies. Cover and cook for 4-5 min over medium high heat.
- After the veggies gets cooked, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, combine shredded Cheddar Cheese and Ritz Cracker Crumbs. Set aside. (You can even add some melted butter to this mixture for more taste)
- Also combine Milk, Eggs, Mayonnaise, Salt and Pepper in a mixing jar and set aside. (You can even add Cornmeal at this point)
- Arrange the chopped veggies in alternating motion in the baking dish (just like a gratin). After one layer of the veggies, add the cracker and cheese mixture. Top with the rest of the veggies. Pour the milk and egg mixture over it. Add the remaining cheese and cracker mixture over it.
- Bake @400F for 20 min. Once the top gets golden brown and serve!