Crispy and flavorful Orange Tofu is the best Asian Recipe made with Tofu. Crispy Tofu in the Air Fryer is tossed in a sweet and tangy orange-flavored sauce and served with some Orange zest and chopped cilantro on top. This is a Vegan take on P.F Chang's Classic Orange Chicken and tastes so delicious. This is best served with a humble bowl of Coconut Rice.
Tofu is one of the best ingredients when you're on a Vegan diet. It's easily available, so flavorful, and makes the best recipes.
Also, Tofu recipes are amazing because they are easily available, dairy-free, low carb, healthy, and also make for a perfect family-friendly meal.
I think the biggest struggle on a vegan diet is to make separate food for the family and separate for yourself. So, here's an amazing recipe which the kids are going to love for sure and they are super easy to make as well.
Crispy Air Fryer Orange Tofu
The Air Fryer crisps up Tofu like a dream. They get extremely crispy and tastes so damn good.
I don't know why would you want to deep fry tofu to get crispy ever. Deep frying Tofu will need lots of oil, spatter oil in your kitchen, make it all dirty, and is of course unhealthy.
Also, if you're making this recipe for a crowd, then it makes no sense to deep fry Tofu until they get crispy.
Air Frying is a simple and easy option and a perfect replacement for Deep Fried Tofu.
Not only the Tofu gets crispy but is so healthy and tastes absolutely crunchy and crispy. Just the texture you actually expect out of a Panda Express Orange Tofu, you get exactly that!
Is Orange Tofu Healthy?
Yes! Orange Tofu is a healthy, low-carb, vegan dinner recipe. This Air Fryer Orange Tofu is even healthy because in this the Tofu is air fried and hence there a
Is Orange Tofu too sour?
No. Orange Tofu is not at all sour. In fact, it's rather sweet with a touch of citrus taste. I have used healthy coconut sugar in making this Orange Tofu sauce and it's so good. It's healthy and sweetness the sauce amazingly!
How to make Orange Tofu?
STEP 1: Coat with Cornstarch & Panko
- Keep Tofu between two heavy dishes and allow it to release the excess moisture. Soak out the excess moisture using a paper towel.
- Chop it into 1-inch cubes
- Coat with Cornstarch and Panko Breadcrumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Pour some Canola Oil over it
- Toss to combine
STEP 2: Air Fry the Tofu
- Air fry the Tofu for 15 minutes @200C or 400F
- You can also bake this Tofu in a lined baking dish @220C or 450F for 15-20 minutes
STEP 3: Make Orange Sauce
- Combine Orange Juice, Coconut Sugar, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Chopped Ginger, and Minced Garlic in a bowl.
- Pour this in a Pan
- Allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Make Cornstarch slurry by combining 1 tablespoon of Cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water
- Pour this Cornstarch slurry in the simmering sauce
- Allow it to thicken for 2-3 minutes
- Take it off the heat.
STEP 4: Toss the Crispy Tofu with the Orange sauce
- Toss the crispy tofu with Orange sauce
- Garnish with chopped Cilantro and chopped Green Onions
- Serve immediately with Coconut Rice or Rice Noodles or Cauliflower Rice for a Low Carb option.
Tips to make the Best Orange Tofu?
- You can fry the Tofu in oil or bake them
- Do not simmer the sauce a lot like a lot of cooking will make the sauce bitter
- Do not use a lot of Orange Juice
- Do not simmer or cook any longer after tossing crispy tofu with the Orange sauce.
How to make Air Fryer Orange Tofu ahead of time?
You can cook Orange Tofu and store it in a glass lid-covered air-tight container in the refrigerator for 1 week. You can also freeze Orange Tofu for 1 month. Thaw it overnight and reheat it in the oven before serving.
Other Alterations and Substitutions
- You can Replace Tofu with Chickpeas or Potatoes or any other Veggies you love
- You can add extra veggies to this. Fry them along with the Tofu
- You can replace Soy Sauce with Tamari
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Orange Tofu (in Air Fryer)
- 1 lbs Tofu
- ¼ tablespoon Cornstarch
- ¼ tablespoon Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- fresh cilantro finely chopped
- green onions finely chopped
- Place Tofu between two heavy dishes and allow it to release all the moisture. Soak out the excess moisture using a paper towel. Cut Tofu into 1 inch cubes. Toss them with Cornstarch, Panko Breadcrumbs, Salt, Pepper and Canola Oil. Toss until evenly coated.
- Air Fry the Tofu until crispy @200C or 400F for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl combine Orange Juice, Coconut Sugar, Dark Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Chopped Ginger and Minced Garlic. Pour it in a pan. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Make Cornstarch slurry by combining 1 tablespoon of Cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water. Pour this in the simmering sauce. Stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes over low heat.
- Toss crispy Tofu with the Orange Sauce. Garnish with chopped Cilantro and chopped Green Onions. Serve immediately.