Finally, it's beginning to get a little summery! Now the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Summer is Lemons. I have already made some Lemon cookies for my family and they loved it.
Today, I'm in a mood to bake some cupcakes. So I am gonna make a Chocolate Cupcake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting. Sounds cool. Doesn't it?
Chocolate in itself is something that is brimming with deliciousness. But, chocolate with lemon is a couple that makes your taste palette more exotic.
Let my Chocolate Cupcakes bring in a downpour of summery happiness in your life. So, how do we bake this cupcake? Well, it's just baking a regular chocolate cupcake and then we make a frosting of lemon buttercream. This exceptionally creative recipe will surely be a hit. So, let's get started.
Let's Bake Chocolate Cupcake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Let's start with our creamy feathery soft friend called - butter. We'll mix butter with brown sugar and make it creamy, light and fluffy. Mixing the butter with sugar will make our cupcake soft and moist.
Once our butter is creamed we'll add yogurt and some vinegar. If you are baking with eggs then replace this step with one single egg. Just one egg is enough to create enough fluffiness that we require in our cupcake. In case you are not using egg you can use some yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon vinegar.
Once we have mixed our yogurt and vinegar we'll start with our dry ingredients.
For the dry ingredients, we'll use the big old daddy of baking - All-Purpose Flour. I prefer adding the flour in batches. This gives me enough time to mix my flour. Adding the flour will make our batter become thick. It will get hard for you to beat. So, just lightly fold with a spoon.
Into that, we'll be adding the two twin sisters of baking - baking powder & baking soda. Wait! did I just say, sisters? Or are they brother?
In these baking agents, we add dark, chocolaty cocoa powder. Once you've added everything, it's time to add some milk. I prefer whole milk but you can add any sort of milk that you like. Adding milk into the batter will make it easier for you to beat. You will have a creamy, smooth batter consistency which is what we need for our cupcake.
Can you believe that you are almost done with your cupcake? Well, we are almost there. Just a few more steps to get to that fragrant, magical, deliciousness.
To bake the cupcakes I am using my regular muffin tin. I line it with a cupcake liner and then add one scoop of chocolate cupcake batter. The trick to baking the best cupcake is keeping the top layer as smooth as you can. Since we are not making a muffin so you can ignore filling it up to the top.
Now, let's kiss them goodbye and allow them to bake at 220C or 420F for 5 minutes. After 5-minutes reduce the temperature by 100-degrees and bake for another 5 minutes.
By the time your cupcake is getting ready you can make your lemon buttercream frosting. This is how you make your lemon buttercream frosting.
So, you have your frosting. You have your chocolate cupcake. Now the only thing that remains is putting it in a piping bag and complete the frosting. After all, this is the most amazing step of the recipe. right?
For all the frosting fans out there I know this step is really fun. So, grab your piping bag and let's make some amazing frosting on our dark, chocolate cupcake babies.
And, that's it my friend. Your Chocolate Cupcake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting is ready! What are you waiting for?
Go ahead and grab that deliciousness right off the plate. Every bite of this cupcake is heavenly.
How to Store this Chocolate Cupcake?
Well, we can't have everything in a day. And, when we bake something so delicious and so gorgeous, we really want to have it the next day. So, to store it you can keep them in an air-tight box.
Even if there is some air-space from the sides, try to cover it up with a plastic wrap.
Make sure you don't leave any space for the air to creep in. Once that is done, your cupcake will stay intact in the fridge for up to a week.
Other Variations of this Recipe?
I highly recommend that you use this recipe as it is. But if you don't have any ingredient or you want to tweak the recipe a bit then I have few suggestions for you.
- Use Cream Cheese in place of Buttercream. Lemon and cream cheese are a match made in heaven.
- You can replace lemon with Orange. It will add a new kind of texture to your recipe. But I highly recommend using lemon.
Connect with me!
Connect with me on my Facebook handles. Be sure to follow me so that you can see what Recipe Magik is up to every day. Also, feel free to ask me any questions, share and comment on my posts there 🙂
Also, connect with me on Instagram and tag with #recipemagik if you are making any recipe from this website so that I can have a look at those amazing recipes you are making from my website 🙂
Chocolate Cupcake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- ¼ Cup Butter salted, melted at room temperature
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅔ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Yogurt
- ½ tablespoon Vanilla Essence optional
- ¼ Cup Milk or as per requirement
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- ½ Cup Butter melted
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Drop Yellow Food Color gel food color
- Preheat the oven to 420F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners
- First beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Into this add yogurt and vinegar and mix well.
- In this add Flour in parts and mix well. Add the baking agents and some cocoa powder and lightly fold it into the batter. You can add some milk to make the batter smooth and creamy.
- Pour the batter evenly into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liner. Bake at 420F for 5-minutes. Then, reduce the temperature by 100 degrees and bake for another 5-minutes. Let them come to room temperature before you begin frosting.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Beat butter for at least 5-minutes until its light, creamy and fluffy. Add granulated sugar in parts and keep beating. Add food color and lemon zest and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the thick frosting in a piping bag. You can create any design you want. Choose a nozzle of your choice and finish the cupcake frosting.
- I have used 1/2TSP Vinegar and 2 tablespoon Yogurt as a replacement for Egg. If you want to use egg then use just 1 whole egg. And skip Yogurt and vinegar.
- Do not use too much lemon zest for your lemon buttercream frosting.
- If you are not able to do buttercream then you can do a lemon cream cheese frosting. Cream and lemon are a match made in heaven.